What's new

Large stone coffee grinder

Video of a traditional Korean coffee mill being made. Imagine this sitting on your kitchen counter? It is somewhat interesting but not very practical. There is no audio, so you may want to watch this on high speed, or skip to the last few minutes to see it in action.

Beside the uneven grind, there looks to be a lot of grind retention, given the size of the burr. If the machining of those grooves was more precise and not so free handing this might be more useful. A different one here:

Has anyone tried using such a grinder before?

The grind is suuuper uneven! I do love the way it sounds, but I wouldn't use it for coffee.

If I had access to one, I'd be more likely to use it for spices. Even then, a pestle and mortar are easier to clean.

They do look really cool though.

I prefer the hammer and bag method for unevenness.
It would be interesting to compare the hammer method with this stone grinder. While I like the concept of this stone grinder, I was thinking the output looked worse than not-trying-very-hard with a whirlybird grinder.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
It is an interesting video. Seems like a lot of work for the finished product. Probably sells for next to nothing. I did enjoy watching the video.

Legion

Staff member
We have a bag of beans the wife bought, even though I do not own a grinder. I'll probably attempt something similar with a mortar and pestle.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Video of a traditional Korean coffee mill being made. Imagine this sitting on your kitchen counter? It is somewhat interesting but not very practical. There is no audio, so you may want to watch this on high speed, or skip to the last few minutes to see it in action.

Beside the uneven grind, there looks to be a lot of grind retention, given the size of the burr. If the machining of those grooves was more precise and not so free handing this might be more useful. A different one here:

Has anyone tried using such a grinder before?

WOW, from the beginnings of selecting the stone, to cutting and forming the stone, to assembly, and finally, to the grinding of beans, that was an interesting take on a home made coffee grinder from start to finish! I most certainly consider that taking coffee grinding to the extremes, when you know there are cheaper options out there, nice electric ones too.

One thing that I noticed though, is that his grind was very course, it would only be suitable for a French Press I believe. Which for all I know, was the whole point of that grinder to begin with. I use drip and percolator brewers, so that grinder would not do anything for me. I need a good medium grind for my usage. But that was a fascinating video to watch, I liked the look of the end result of stone grinder.

Top Bottom