What's new

Large Format-wow!

As I've slowly gotten back into shooting film, something crossed my path the other day. My wife and I stopped at my favorite frame shop to see if they could cut a piece of anti-reflective glass that I could use with my new scanner. They have several alcoves where local painters and artists rent space. One of the local photographers who is mainly known for his portraiture had a series of about a dozen 4x5 contact prints for sale. Now, I've always known about large format, but have never actually seen anything printed or contact printed from one of these cameras. Heck, I've never even seen one of these cameras in the flesh, so to speak. The detail in these little prints was absolutely astounding! They were inside shots of an abandoned industrial warehouse here in town. I've seen other images of it online, but they ALL pale in comparison.

While most people I know, including myself, go for prints with some size, these just drew me in like a moth to the flame. I completely ignored the larger prints he had. Before I even saw the images clearly, just the size made me want to go see what they were. They were matted on about 11x14 mats, vertical shots. My wife agreed. We talked about what do most people do who look at a photo, even the really big prints? They walk right up to the thing and go jeez, that's blurry :001_rolle With those 4x5 contact prints, the closer I got the better they looked. Perfect for a visually impaired person like myself.

I now have my long term goal. Take these 35mm's that I have, these MF TLR's that I have, and learn, learn, learn. Learn how to compose again, learn how to judge the light again, learn all the basics again, learn darkroom techniques again, start all over--again. In the meantime--save, save, save, and save some more. These damn kids and college cutting into my photo fund! 4x5 and especially 8x10 looks to be a fairly expensive venture, but I am not a large volume shooter so it might work out on the fiscal end, if the prices don't just skyrocket on everything in the next several years. I'm definitely thinking at least 3 years out.

Legion

Staff member
You think that's good, you should shoot some stuff on 10X8"!

Some of my friends are still shooting on 4x5 pretty regularly. If you know where to look you can pick up sinar rail cameras fairly cheaply now. I'm kind of hankering for a Tachihara or linhof technika, but I'm in no hurry, as I don't have access to a darkroom right now. It would just collect dust with all the rest of my film stuff.

I do have an antique Thornton-Pickard half plate camera I've always wanted to get running. I'm kicking myself I didn't use it when I had access to Kodak glass plates.

If you are looking to do LF, and contact print, I bet you could get into it fairly inexpensively. I'm headed that route, probably over the next few years. Keep an eye on the classified section at APUG. 4X5 speed graphic type and other "field" cameras go on sale regularly. I've also seen some monorail cameras. Some with a lens mounted to a shutter, lens board, working bellows, ground glass and at least 1 film holder for anywhere between $200-$2000.

You will also need to decide what TYPE of LF camera. Field or Rail cameras. Field cameras usually fold up and are much more portable. They usually lack the ability to move the lens and film plane independently, which will cut into your ability to control perspective. This would come into play in architecture photography and some landscape. Monorail cameras allow for this movement, but are much less portable, and can be finnicky to set up and use if you are doing landscape or outdoor work.

The good thing is, if you plan to do contact prints from LF negatives, you don't really need an enlarger. Just a light source. If you plan to print on multigrade paper, you will need some way to filter the light so you can achieve the proper grade. As far as I know, you CAN tray process LF negatives. You will also need a fair amount of film holders unless you want to be limited to just a few shots when out on a shoot

Make a note of this web site: http://www.apug.org/forums/home.php This is the best all around film related site out there. There is a huge amount of info on there and the people are extremely helpful; lots of film equipment for sale also.

Been a member there for a while now, thanks to Edcculus, and have purchased a couple of items including my new tripod head and recently a 135mm for my Pentax SLR's. You are correct that everyone there is very helpful. I also registered at the large format forum to lurk and learn.

Top Bottom