What's new

Large Boar Brush?

I'd like to try a large (26mm or larger) boar brush for head shaving. I'm familiar with the breaking-in process, but I can't find a decent one in that size range that fits my budget (around $25).

I would honestly pay another $10-15 if you can and get a Zenith. Something like the below is a great 26mm boar brush. I have a few Zenith boars and they are better than Semogue (except for the SOC) and Omega IMO. I don’t think you can do much better than a $35-40 Zenith for a boar.

I can't dispute the suggestions to get a Zenith (I just received a new one in the mail this morning) but if you really can't scrape together the money for a nice one then the Omega 20106 or 10048 have you covered - both measured at 26mm x 65mm by Connaughts, although there will be some variation from brush to brush (although that holds for Zenith too - the brush I got this morning is listed as 65mm on yourshaving and although I haven't measured it yet, I would bet it's closer to 60mm).

This from Omega is a lot less and is supposed to be an absolute belter of a brush

There's some less expensive big boar brushes that work well.

Zenith model 80 is a 26mm knot with 64mm loft. Under $10 on Amazon from Razor Blades Club.

Omega model 49 is a 26mm knot with 60mm loft. Around $10 from several online sources.

Semogue model 2000 is not too far off the size of the above brushes and should be under $20.

There's some less expensive big boar brushes that work well.

Zenith model 80 is a 26mm knot with 64mm loft. Under $10 on Amazon from Razor Blades Club.

Omega model 49 is a 26mm knot with 60mm loft. Around $10 from several online sources.

Semogue model 2000 is not too far off the size of the above brushes and should be under $20.

I have the Omega and it's a good brush, and a great value at 10 bucks. The handle is plastic, and likely hollow. At a certain point, IMO, you are merely paying more for the craftsmanship and higher quality handle...

...but the Omega gets the job done very well.

Reactions: Kix
I'm using an Omega 10049 Professional boar brush, it's a "big one". I've had it about 5 months and it's what I use about 50% of the time. The other 50% of the time, I use an Omega 10049 boar, smaller but excellent as well.

I have an Omega 10098 Professional boar. you can get one for under $20. But other Omega brushes are similar, just with different handles.

Because I have sensitive skin, I did not want to go through the normal break-in. Thus, I decided to try an experiment. I brought a pot of water to a boil and then allowed it to cool for a few minutes. Then I dipped about 1/2" of the tips of the boar knot into the hot water. As soon as it hit the water, the fibers relaxed, so a pulled it out and allowed it to cool until it stopped steaming. Then I repeated that process several times until the tips of the boar bristle had split nicely, but the brush still retained its body. That inexpensive brush is now as soft as some premium silvertip badgers costing 10X as much.

I suspect the process will work for Zenith brushes as well, but it does not work with Semogue boar brushes. Semogue uses a different process that interferes with the hot water break-in.

I really like the Omega 10108. Knot 27mm loft 58 mm overall height 120mm. It’s my favorite boar brush. I have a Zenith copper handled boar that I don’t like as much but it’s certainly a lot prettier. The Zenith seems to have a finer hair so it’s a bit floppy, whereas the Omega has more backbone. Good luck 👍

I'm using an Omega 10049 Professional boar brush, it's a "big one". I've had it about 5 months and it's what I use about 50% of the time. The other 50% of the time, I use an Omega 10049 boar, smaller but excellent as well.
I have both and they're excellent.

I have a 30mm Whipped Dog boar brush in thrit premium hanle It is a fantastic knot. It is around $32, more than your budget - however a great value for money brush. You can have a look at the website for options including the tall handle 30mm option.

The whipped dog is the teal handle in the images below. Next to a Zenith and the Omega premium boar from Connaught Shaving.

The WD 20mm boar knot is equal in quality if not better, and more dense, than the Zenith boar knot of 27mm

20230414_134052.jpg20230414_134056.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom