What's new

Lapsang Souchong?

I'm very intrigued by this strange brew, and I think I might buy some in the near future. Does anyone have any suggestions as to whether you should add anything to it, or just drink it plain?

Last edited:
I've got that Lapsang Souchong at JAS-eTea wishlisted, but I'm not a huge black tea drinker. I've tried Earl Grey, but don't really "get it".

I've got that Lapsang Souchong at JAS-eTea wishlisted, but I'm not a huge black tea drinker. I've tried Earl Grey, but don't really "get it".

IMO, Earl Grey is a sorry example of a good black tea. I enjoy Lapsang Souchong. I also enjoy other blacks.

IMO, Earl Grey is a sorry example of a good black tea. I enjoy Lapsang Souchong. I also enjoy other blacks.

It's hard to classify "Earl Grey", given that Earl Greys are just some black scented with bergamot...often a pretty awful black, but sometimes a good one. I've had Earl Greys I've really liked from Upton Tea that had a really good, smoky/chocolatey Ceylon base distinct under a light bergamot scenting.

As for Lapsang, it's a strange one to be sure. It's more of an acquired taste than Pu-erh, IMHO. (At least, I took to pu-erh more quickly than Lapsang.) Drink it straight, don't overdo it, and be prepared for a blast of smoke that might not come as welcome as you'd wish. :lol:

It's hard to classify "Earl Grey", given that Earl Greys are just some black scented with bergamot...often a pretty awful black, but sometimes a good one. I've had Earl Greys I've really liked from Upton Tea that had a really good, smoky/chocolatey Ceylon base distinct under a light bergamot scenting.

As for Lapsang, it's a strange one to be sure. It's more of an acquired taste than Pu-erh, IMHO. (At least, I took to pu-erh more quickly than Lapsang.) Drink it straight, don't overdo it, and be prepared for a blast of smoke that might not come as welcome as you'd wish. :lol:

My favorite part of drinking Lapsang is watching other people's faces when I let them sniff the tea. :lol: I love Lapsang but yeah, it's an acquired taste. However, my experience has been that the smell is much stronger than the taste.

This thread encouraged me to taste some of the Golden Eyebrow Lapsang Souchong that I got in the inventory not too long ago. I am not generally a black tea drinker but this stuff was extremely nice. The smoke was not too strong and the use of only buds for this tea make it very smooth IMHO.

I really like LS -- but no one else in the house does. Not sure if anyone else has dealt with this reaction, but the usual response from the ladies in the house is "burnt firehose" or something even less flattering. I brew it anyway ... And I won't be offering them any of my Ardbeg, either.

Someone mentioned whisky earlier, a drop or two of good lapsang into a single malt instead of water can often work wonders, and the occasional miserable failure.

I've had a few really nice lapsang's from TeaSpring, they have 3 at the moment. If you do try one then I urge you to stick some Chinese green in the basket too, Chinese greens are where they excel.

I've not tried Nada's lapsang but if the 20 odd other teas I've had from him are anything to go by you will not be disappointed.

Top Bottom