What's new

Lapsang Souchong?

I've never been a huge tea drinker, but do enjoy it (though I confess to usually requiring some sugar or honey, which I never take in my coffee).

My better half recently bought a sampler from Golden Moon Tea (no affiliation), and I've fallen in love with "Lapsang Souchong", a black tea smoked over pine. The smokey flavor and aroma is outstanding, and it's unlike any tea I've ever tried (though my experience is admittedly limited).

I bought a tin of it (along with some "Temple of Heaven Gunpowder" (another smokey one) and some "Coconut Pouchong", a flavored tea that purists may turn their nose up at, but which I think is superb.

Anyway, while the quality of the GM teas seems very good, shipping is quick and customer service helpful, I'm wondering if there might be a better Lapsang Pouchong out there (this stuff is so good it seems unlikely, but what do I know). Does anybody else enjoy this stuff? Have you found one place has LS that's particularly good? Can anybody comment on Golden Moon's quality in general?

A neat trick with this tea is that you can "smoke" meats in your oven with it. Put the tea leaves in the bottom of a pan, place the meats to be "smoked" on rack over the pan and cover with foil. Slowly cook the meat until tender. The result is meat that tastes like it was smoked. Not my discovery, I believe it was from Cooks Illustrated.

+10^10 on Lapsang Suchong!! It is my favourite tea ... a friend of mine and I call it "peat moss tea" ... not exactly the same flavour, but close. IOW, to me, it's the Islay single malt of teas. :biggrin:

While I enjoy great tea, I'm not into them like the pu'erh crowd here. I can accommodate only a limited number of ADs. :rolleyes:

I also like this tea a great deal. I order mine from Peli teas. Peli seems a little mainstreatm, but they have won many awards for thier green teas if that means anything. They seem to be committed to quality.

A neat trick with this tea is that you can "smoke" meats in your oven with it. Put the tea leaves in the bottom of a pan, place the meats to be "smoked" on rack over the pan and cover with foil. Slowly cook the meat until tender. The result is meat that tastes like it was smoked. Not my discovery, I believe it was from Cooks Illustrated.

Yeah, I just read this at the GM site: that's awesome, and I'll definitely be experimenting with this.

The Lapsang Souchong that I have is from The Tea House in Naperville Ill. Very good stuff! They also wholesale their teas and blends to many other tea shops around the country.

If you do recipe searches on Foodtv.com/.ca as well as others with tea as the keyword, you will find a lot of recipes for cooking with tea. It's a whole world I've never explored, but I will certainly be trying the lapsang suchong with something on the grill this Spring/Summer.

I have some Lapsang Souchong from Teavana. It is pretty good stuff. I heard that Charles from QED also has it from time to time as well.

I enjoy it, especially during the cold, winter months. My favorite teas are Assam Jorhat, Golden Needle, and Keemum...I have a local tea shop where I can buy most of mine by the pound....or whatever size I need. It is priced by the pound and sold by weight.

I have some Lapsang Souchong from Teavana. It is pretty good stuff. I heard that Charles from QED also has it from time to time as well.

I enjoy it, especially during the cold, winter months. My favorite teas are Assam Jorhat, Golden Needle, and Keemum...I have a local tea shop where I can buy most of mine by the pound....or whatever size I need. It is priced by the pound and sold by weight.

I picked up a kilo of Assam Gold Tips TGFOP not long ago. Huge bag of tea! Apparenlty though, my 5 year old son thinks I drink too much tea. I asked him how long he thought it would take for me to drink that much tea. He looked at it for a minute and did some serious calculations and said "4 days Pa".

I think I'll go brew up now, in fact.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I never had a good LS, which is a good thing. The last time I said something along those lines, I said "pu'er stinks". Six months and a thousand bucks later........

I never had a good LS, which is a good thing. The last time I said something along those lines, I said "pu'er stinks". Six months and a thousand bucks later........

Do ya like Scotch? My tea merchant tells me that folks who like Scotch tend to really like lapsang souchong.

I drink pu'er from time to time for the health benefits, but I still call it "fish tea".

Do ya like Scotch? My tea merchant tells me that folks who like Scotch tend to really like lapsang souchong.

I drink pu'er from time to time for the health benefits, but I still call it "fish tea".

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Winston Churchill used to add a touch of Scotch to his LS. Now that's a strong tea:lol:

Top Bottom