What's new

laps vs finish

When you learn to polish larger objects you are often taught to vary the direction of abrasive from one grit to the next. This way, you know you've finished with the current grit level when you've ground/polished away ALL of the marks left by the previous grit level.

Thus, when I began honing razors, I watched carefully under a 10x loupe. I would do one grit (12 micron) with a heel forward stroke, then the next (9 micron) with the toe leading just a smidge. That way, I could stop every dozen or so laps, and observe the scratch pattern. With very light pressure, it took just shy of 100 laps.

That held up from 9 to 5 micron, and again from 5 to 3 micron. Going from 3 to 1 micron it took nearly 200 laps to erase all of the cloudiness from the 3 micron abrasive. After which point it became nearly impossible to tell the difference even under the loupe.

Moving from lapping film to pasted balsa, it gets much more difficult still, since the 0.5 micron abrasive is embedded in the surface of the wood, and is effectively smaller, though by how much is not clear.

That's why in previous iterations of honing I upped to 200 laps going from 3 to 1 micron, and 200 going from 1 micron to 0.3 micron film. Then I upped to 300 laps on each of 3 levels of CBN pasted balsa (0.5, 0.25, and 0.1 micron respectively).

Re-honing a razor tonight, I was re-reading some threads on honing and balsa stropping, and it seems most folks stick to about 50-60 ish laps on each grit, and aren't concerned with making sure they've polished out all signs of the previous grit level.

So tonight I followed the advice of people who have much more experience with razors specifically, and did 60 laps before moving on to the next grit, with no real concern with whether or not I fully polished out any roughness from previous grit levels.

To the naked eye, of course the bevel looks glassy smooth, almost molten in how smooth it is. However, under the loupe, I can see a network of multiple tiny scratch patterns all along the bevel. The razor is treetopping hair just about as well as it did with hundreds of laps, so I guess the proof will be in the shaving.

What about it? Does anyone else here watch the scratch pattern under magnification to tell them when to move on? Am I way overdoing it? If I am way overdoing it, how does the coarser abrasive scratch pattern not make for a less sharp edge?

I used to do this also and found that the cleaner the scratch patterns were the more weepers and irritation I got so I started using naturals. To me I straight shave for comfort. if all I wanted was a sharp thing to shave with I would just use a feather in a de razor. Jmo.

You are making this far harder than it need be.
You can watch the scratch pattern (with a loupe) to see if you are ready for the next grit up to about 8k. You want to see that the new scratches are getting to the absolute edge. After that start looking at the quality of the edge itself not the scratch pattern.
Taking a razor to .5, .25 and.01 is so completely unnecessary. I have never done "hundreds of laps" on anything for the sake of removing scratches or any other reason for that matter.

Interesting... at about what grit level do you stop honing and call an edge finished?

Ive gotta say I am liking the idea of not taking hours to make an edge as sharp as it can get. Tonight’s 60 Laps per grit only took me a couple of hours, but the last time I polished the bevel as smooth as I could it took me some 9 or so hours to do three razors from 600 grit all the way down. If I hadn’t dropped the bloody thing and dinged the edge I wouldn’tve spent that time because the previous edges were sufficient if not perfect.

Interesting... at about what grit level do you stop honing and call an edge finished?

Ive gotta say I am liking the idea of not taking hours to make an edge as sharp as it can get. Tonight’s 60 Laps per grit only took me a couple of hours, but the last time I polished the bevel as smooth as I could it took me some 9 or so hours to do three razors from 600 grit all the way down. If I hadn’t dropped the bloody thing and dinged the edge I wouldn’tve spent that time because the previous edges were sufficient if not perfect.

That's a ridiculous amount of time!
Grit? I don't know. I usually finish on naturals. If synthetic I can go about 25 strokes on Gokumyo 20k after 8 and its a fine shaving edge.
I use synthetics to 8k,then, no more than about 60-80 strokes (stone depending) and done.
Very smooth, comfortable, sharp blades are the result.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
When it is finished, it is finished. Sometimes there are tells. Sometimes, the only tell is the edge getting sharper and then not continuing to get any more sharper. At that point I do some pull strokes to strip off any artifacts, then a half dozen or so very light laps, and move on. If it was already at .1u balsa, then it is done, time to strop on the hanging leather. I don't go past .1u.

What happens when your learning is typically your strokes are off a bit. So one off stroke needs lots of good strokes to correct. When you practice enough then every stroke counts. You will see the time it takes go down a lot. No shame now! We've all been there. Just keep plugging and developing muscle memory. There isn't any other way. Once you can lay 100 laps on a hone with no misses then your good to go, one slight lift of the spine can have an effect on the edge.

Top Bottom