What's new

Lapping Plates

The DMT lapping plate looks like a good tool though, given its size. Not sure how big the atoma plates come but the standard 8 inch DMT is a little small for lapping some stones.

DMT325 here.
15 minutes to completely flatten 3 stones that hours (literally) on the Norton did not flatten.

Do NOT use a DMT1200 to lap... it will ruin the plate.

I grabbed a straight edge ruler today finally to check my stones for flatness easily. Normally I would just lap my stones frequently and use the pencil lines to check them. A few circles on sandpaper and I would check and see what was being removed. If it came off real quick I knew my stones were still good.

I couldn't believe how inaccurate the pencil lines were. They rub off. Stones I thought were nice and flat actually weren't when checking with the ruler. It wasn't like it was very far off, but the bottom line was that they weren't flat yet and the pencil marks were all gone. If you're a newer honer like myself, consider picking up a straight ruler like this. It's a huge help.

Can you use a DMT XXC to flatten things as fine as naniwa superstone in 5k/8k/12k grits? Or is a 325 recommended?

I'm thinking about trying a straight razor and would like to know what I'd have to purchase to hone if I already have a DMT XXC which I use to flatten a chosera 400 / 1k which would be for bevel setting on kitchen knives.

Thanks in advance

Not sure what the grit rating is for that one but if you follow the lapping with higher grit wet dry paper you should be fine. Or even a run from the 1000 grit should smooth it back out quickly. That's what I would do

As was said, the xxc is I believe 120 grit. You can use it but you will have to move up to finer if you want to hone on it correctly. I use 60 grit and up FIRST with any naturals except cotis. When its flat then I will use my atoma 400 and 1200 to clean it up. The chosera slurry stone does a decent enough job of removing scratches at the 600 level. Plenty of water(you should be doing it under running water although you cant really with w/d) Even with the plates to lap properly is not a cake walk. I don't just flatten them, I resurface them also. A BBW works very well to resurface if you have one. As well as tomos.

Thanks for that guys, i'll stick with the XXC and then use the chosera 400 and 1k to smooth out the higher grits. Much appreciated.

Top Bottom