What's new

Lapping Options

I just pulled the trigger on a Spyderco 8K hone from a fellow member here (thanks, Leighton). I'm getting into restorations, and my plan is to pick up a Norton 1k/4k for rougher work and a Chinese 12k for finishing.

My dilemma is with lapping these things. I was going to go for the Norton lapping stone since it is relatively inexpensive, and I know the Norton name. After reading around here and on SRP, I have heard that many don't like the coarse grit of the Norton. Also, I've heard that the Chinese 12k will wear out the Norton prematurely. Instead, they seem to prefer to use a DMT 8C (320 grit, I think). With buying all of these hones right now, I can't afford to buy the DMT just yet.

My question is, can I (successfully) use sand paper on a granite tile to get all of these things flat? If so, why do people spend the money on lapping plates?

Last edited:
i think you can use sandpaper and lap it.why people wants to use dmt ?because we all are lazy and want to get what we want easier.that is the only reason.Now don't buy dmt 320 for lapping.it is missconseption that dmt 325 does great job on lapping ?while doing so dmt dies slowly.i think only dmt xx(not sure you need to check dmt side is recommend for lapping).good luck

Nothing wrong with wetdry sandpaper 325 grit, worked fine on my Ch. 12k. I also used 600 and 1200 and it finished the stone quite easily.

Np! Its in the mail btw.

You can't lap it using the Norton lapping stone, in fact, don't even buy the Norton stone.

Nothing wrong with wet/dry either, but....expect to go through many many sheets lapping that stone. Don't worry though, its worth it in the end. And you have 0 chance of ruining the expensive dmt.

Thanks, guys. I decided to pass on the Norton lapping stone. I'm just going to use sand paper and a flat surface until I break down and decide to drop the coin for a DMT of some sort. Who knows, I may just continue with the sand paper thing indefinitely.

Once the spydie is lapped, you won't have to lap it again. For a looooooooooooong time. Think of it as a 20 year investment in time. Maybe longer, maybe a lifetime investment. Who knows. :p Either case, once its lapped, your done.

Once the spydie is lapped, you won't have to lap it again. For a looooooooooooong time. Think of it as a 20 year investment in time. Maybe longer, maybe a lifetime investment. Who knows. :p Either case, once its lapped, your done.

That is very good news. Is that thing going to be a huge pain to lap?

Top Bottom