What's new

Lapping New Nanis

Picked up a new nani 8k. This thing is taking FOREVER to flatten. My 12k took a long time to.

Am i i missi something? Or are high grit super stones always labor intensive?

What are you using to flatten? W/D on a flat surface will get things done quickly even at 600 grit.
Your 12k should have been pretty close. They do move a little but that should not affect things too badly if you check them periodically.
What are you flattening on?
I use a granite surfacing plate guaranteed to 1/10000" This is an absurd level of flatness but they are relatively inexpensive and damn flat.

What are you using to flatten? W/D on a flat surface will get things done quickly even at 600 grit.
Your 12k should have been pretty close. They do move a little but that should not affect things too badly if you check them periodically.
What are you flattening on?
I use a granite surfacing plate guaranteed to 1/10000" This is an absurd level of flatness but they are relatively inexpensive and damn flat.
IMG_20190902_184349.jpg
IMG_20190902_184331.jpg

This thing. Works great on lower grits. But rhe higher ones it just doesnt cut it.

I'm not sure how flat those things are to start out with.
Perhaps its clogging up.
Try some W/D paper on a flat surface. Its inexpensive and should get you on your way.
Down the road I would suggest an Atoma plate.

I'm not sure how flat those things are to start out with.
Perhaps its clogging up.
Try some W/D paper on a flat surface. Its inexpensive and should get you on your way.
Down the road I would suggest an Atoma plate.

+1 to this. I used w/d sandpaper on a marble tile for awhile. Eventually I got an Atoma 400 and it works a lot better/faster.

Top Bottom