What's new

Lapping new hones

I just recently ordered my first razor hone. I went with the standard Norton 4/8. I figure that combined with my 4 side diamond paddle strop will probably work for starters. Eventually maybe I will start looking into finishing hones, but my understanding is that a pasted paddle will do the job coming off the Norton 8k.

My real question (finally getting around to it - I must be the longest winded member of B&B) is whether Nortons come flat? Or do I need to lap it before using.

I know Norton also sells a lapping stone. When it comes to lapping, either now or later, any thoughts on that versus some form of sandpaper on a piece of glass?

Oh, and how often do these things need to be lapped?

-Mo

I just recently ordered my first razor hone. I went with the standard Norton 4/8. I figure that combined with my 4 side diamond paddle strop will probably work for starters. Eventually maybe I will start looking into finishing hones, but my understanding is that a pasted paddle will do the job coming off the Norton 8k.

My real question (finally getting around to it - I must be the longest winded member of B&B) is whether Nortons come flat? Or do I need to lap it before using.

I know Norton also sells a lapping stone. When it comes to lapping, either now or later, any thoughts on that versus some form of sandpaper on a piece of glass?

Oh, and how often do these things need to be lapped?

-Mo

Mo,
Most Nortons need a bit of lapping before their first use. The norton lapping stone is "so-so" - I would recommend a DMT Diamond plate...

full

full

They are the fastest, easiest and most trouble free means of flattening your hone. I've used sandpaper and glass, different stones, etc - but after using the DMT diamond plate - I wouldn't think of using anything else.

How often? Well... that depends on how often you are honing, what you are honing, etc etc - unfortunatly there is no "one fits all" clear answer.

The good news? Tomorrow (along with the rest of the guide) will be a complete interactive, picture ladden "how to lap a hone" guide.

I'll update this thread and post a link to the lapping section tomorrow. :thumbup1:

Last edited by a moderator:
I know there are many opinions on this so you have options. First from my experience most Nortons appear to be pretty flat when you get them. You need to check it. I used mine several months before lapping and it worked fine. If you want perfection you'll probably want to lap at the outset. I have a shapton lapping plate and I find it the easiest to use. Just load it up with abrasive and water and grind away. Its about the easiest way for me and quick. The only downside is the initial cost. Othwise there are many different methods from the Norton plate to glass and sandpaper or other abrasives.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
[QUOTE=Thebigspendur;346104]I know there are many opinions on this so you have options. First from my experience most Nortons appear to be pretty flat when you get them. You need to check it. I used mine several months before lapping and it worked fine. If you want perfection you'll probably want to lap at the outset. I have a shapton lapping plate and I find it the easiest to use. Just load it up with abrasive and water and grind away. Its about the easiest way for me and quick. The only downside is the initial cost. Othwise there are many different methods from the Norton plate to glass and sandpaper or other abrasives.[/QUOTE]

Which, for the uninitiated, is on par with their most expensive stone, or roughly the cost of a complete set of high quality stones.
A lot of guys on the various knife forums have been raving at the DMT's ability to flatten most anything, including the notoriously hard Shaptons. Stones used to sharpen knives tend to dish much more quickly than razors, but razors probably need a dead flat stone more than knives.

Top Bottom