What's new

Lapping Film.

I've just used a green 14000 lapping film on granet and am worried, it does not act flat, a tiny crease in the film or a spec of fluff and you get a raised hotspot, and you get a litte dot or streak of black metal reside. im a beginner so might be me.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I've just used a green 14000 lapping film on granet and am worried, it does not act flat, a tiny crease in the film or a spec of fluff and you get a raised hotspot, and you get a litte dot or streak of black metal reside. im a beginner so might be me.
Any dust or lint underneath the film will definitely do that. When it happens to me I try to not hone over the spot. If it doesn't seem flat, are you squeegeeing all the water and especially air bubbles out from under the film? Best way to do it... clean your granite plate thoroughly. Make sure the back of your film is clean. Make sure the room is clean, no dust floating around. Put plenty of water on the granite. Spray water on the back of the film. Place one end of the film at the edge of the plate. Now lightly press the film to the plate as you slide the end up across the plate, while you use your other hand to lightly press the film down as it slides up onto the plate. You should get it perfectly. Position it exactly like you want it. Take a razor and lay it on the film near the end. Hold the end down firmly with your fingers. Stroke the razor to the other end. Do it again, from the other end.

A crease? That film is ruined. At least the creased part is.

BTW, you aren't using PSA (sticky back) film, are you? That stuff is a lot of trouble. You want plain back.

Any dust or lint underneath the film will definitely do that. When it happens to me I try to not hone over the spot. If it doesn't seem flat, are you squeegeeing all the water and especially air bubbles out from under the film? Best way to do it... clean your granite plate thoroughly. Make sure the back of your film is clean. Make sure the room is clean, no dust floating around. Put plenty of water on the granite. Spray water on the back of the film. Place one end of the film at the edge of the plate. Now lightly press the film to the plate as you slide the end up across the plate, while you use your other hand to lightly press the film down as it slides up onto the plate. You should get it perfectly. Position it exactly like you want it. Take a razor and lay it on the film near the end. Hold the end down firmly with your fingers. Stroke the razor to the other end. Do it again, from the other end.

A crease? That film is ruined. At least the creased part is.

BTW, you aren't using PSA (sticky back) film, are you? That stuff is a lot of trouble. You want plain back.

Had tap running , lots of sluicing with water, I was mindful of stuff getting behind but i could have been more careful. here are pics.

IMG-2609.JPG
IMG-2609.JPG
Back of film.

IMG-2608.jpg
IMG-2608.jpg
Two dots unexplained.

IMG-2606.jpg

and

IMG-2605.JPG

unexplained horizontal streaks, and big mark from cease.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Those dents or creases are of course a bad thing. Handle your film carefully. Sometimes dots are caused by foreign matter getting stuck to the top side of the film. Make sure your hands and razor are clean. Also try running your first half dozen laps with the spine leading. A small burr on the edge can make a streak like that. A few spine leading laps and some pull strokes should clean up the edge enough that you can go edge leading. Oh, and don't press down on the blade with your fingers, especially after you have set your bevel. The blade can flex, and dig into the film.

Those dents or creases are of course a bad thing. Handle your film carefully. Sometimes dots are caused by foreign matter getting stuck to the top side of the film. Make sure your hands and razor are clean. Also try running your first half dozen laps with the spine leading. A small burr on the edge can make a streak like that. A few spine leading laps and some pull strokes should clean up the edge enough that you can go edge leading. Oh, and don't press down on the blade with your fingers, especially after you have set your bevel. The blade can flex, and dig into the film.

Thanks worked better a second time. but to start with had unnerving feeling of going over a grit spot, but whenever i slowed the blade to try a locate it, it disappeared, nothing to see or feel. Then it started working beautifully and was bliss to use.

@Slash just pm'd me some helpful info, so I'll share:

You probably noticed that www.nanolaptech.com does not have a buy button. You have to email them with your order and get a quote and sometimes it takes a few days for them to get back to you. I just bought 10 sheets each, 8-1/2" x 11" of their 26M ALOX plain back film in 60u, 30u, 15u, 9u, 3u, and 1u, for a buck a sheet. plus about $7 shipping and i think some sales tax. Don't remember. Took a week or so to finally get my order finalized. They take your credit card info over the phone or by email. Not very secure IYAM So don't use a card with like a $50k credit limit or anything like that.

Here is their contact info:
Nanolap® Technologies, LLC
85 Harrisburg Drive
Englewood, OH 45322
USA
Toll-Free: 1-877-658-4949
Fax: 1-800-418-7047
Email: [email protected]
You want the 26M type. It is similar to 3M 261X, the gold standard.

Top Bottom