What's new

Lapping Film -wet

I have read a lot here on using lapping film. Hey day to wet paper and place under the finishing film. My question is whether you wet the film.

The film I bought has an adhesive back. Do you use it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, most do not use adhesive backed film. A thread once talked about the possibility of removing the adhesive with Simple Green IIRC.

What's "Hey day to" ??

The film that I used did not absorb water so I just dampened the pico paper :001_rolle and laid the film on it. I found that a half dozen very light laps on the 1 um film over damp paper suited me well. More laps set the edge back too far IMO.

No, most do not use adhesive backed film. A thread once talked about the possibility of removing the adhesive with Simple Green IIRC.

What's "Hey day to" ??

The film that I used did not absorb water so I just dampened the pico paper :001_rolle and laid the film on it. I found that a half dozen very light laps on the 1 um film over damp paper suited me well. More laps set the edge back too far IMO.

I couldn’t get back in to correct auto destruct.

They wet paper and place it under the film.

I was going to count on the paper under the film to keep the adhesive from sticking to the block. Then I would use the adhesive to secure it to the block ends to keep it from shifting.

I couldn’t get back in to correct auto destruct.

They wet paper and place it under the film.

I was going to count on the paper under the film to keep the adhesive from sticking to the block. Then I would use the adhesive to secure it to the block ends to keep it from shifting.

You only want to do a few finishing laps with paper under the the film after refining the edge without paper. The paper sets the edge back a bit.

You only want to do a few finishing laps with paper under the the film after refining the edge without paper. The paper sets the edge back a bit.

Yeah. I was under the impression that it rounded the apex a bit to make it comfortable, but still close and smooth.

I was thinking of using it to finish a Naniwa 12000 edge, as well as maintenance between stropping runs. Maybe I would have to go back to the Naniwa for maintenance?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
You can use 1u film without paper to entirely replace the N12k if you wish. Like they said, a half dozen or so laps after regular laps without paper will tame the edge nicely without sacrificing sharpness. Keep going with paper underneath and sharpness will be degraded slightly.

For maintenance you can use rock or film, whichever you like. Film without and with paper, or just without, whatever. But my choice for maintenance would be a .1u diamond pasted balsa as per the Pasted Balsa Strop thread. To use it for maintenance though, you need to at least once run a progression of pasted balsa strops. From 1u film to .1u diamond on balsa is simply too big a jump as the diamond is set deeply into the balsa, crystals barely protruding above the surface. Also if you choose to use balsa, you should skip the film over paper step altogether.

You can use 1u film without paper to entirely replace the N12k if you wish. Like they said, a half dozen or so laps after regular laps without paper will tame the edge nicely without sacrificing sharpness. Keep going with paper underneath and sharpness will be degraded slightly.

For maintenance you can use rock or film, whichever you like. Film without and with paper, or just without, whatever. But my choice for maintenance would be a .1u diamond pasted balsa as per the Pasted Balsa Strop thread. To use it for maintenance though, you need to at least once run a progression of pasted balsa strops. From 1u film to .1u diamond on balsa is simply too big a jump as the diamond is set deeply into the balsa, crystals barely protruding above the surface. Also if you choose to use balsa, you should skip the film over paper step altogether.

Thank you. One question begs to be answered for me, since all the articles here seem to be silent on the issue. Do you wet lapping film or do you use it dry? Intuition says wet to float the filings away, but.....

Last edited:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I’ve often wondered what good paper under the film did if following with balsa. Now I know the truth. I’ll save a fortune not buying expensive pico paper now!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I am running a sale. $5/sheet for premium picopaper. The price is SO LOW that I think I will start calling it pocopaper.

I've tried both methods (with and without paper) and found my best results did not include the paper step. Rather than use the paper I do 15-20 laps on a cotton strop that has been pasted with Keith's "white lightning." YMMV

To answer the OP's original question yes I used film with water a quick splash is all you need. The visible undercut helps you determine when a blade is done, that along with the suction.

Top Bottom