What's new

Lapping film, try it.

I looked found nothing rinsed everything off still there cut a new piece same problem different spot felt grainy.

I had a problem with the base paper very slightly shredding from being damp - this after using it a couple of times. It was extremely slight but could be felt when honing the razor. It was like the pea under the princess' stacked pillows. Impossible to see or detect until you moved a blade across the film. Wiping the marble base with my hands didn't detect anything - but the spot moved. It was kinda weird. Rubbing it down with a cloth worked. So... fresh backing paper each time.

I'll tell you what you can do with the .3u (white) film... apply it over damp paper on your plate.

That's what I was doing thinking it was the 1u I wasn't going to use the .3 yet. So if I was going to use the .3 would I skip doing a second set of laps with paper under the 1u?

I tried LF a couple years ago when I was new to honing. I didn't really care for it so I focused on my coticule. I recently gave it another go on a wedge that I could never get sharp enough on my Grise. 3 micron, 1 micron then 1 micron with paper underneath and about 15 minutes did the trick. I'm glad to have LF as another tool in the box.

...Ray

Sorry if this was already covered but where is the easiest place to get lapping film in Europe? Also can a bevel be set with it? I am getting more and more interested in giving it a shot.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Looks a bit pricey to me.

What looks pricey? Film? Let's see... less than a buck and a half per sheet... three pieces of film from each sheet... each piece good for about a dozen razors so around 36 razors honed per sheet of each grade... around 4 cents per razor for each grade used. For that princely sum I get an 11" or 13" long by 2-3/4" or 3" wide honing surface that is always flat, never needs soaking, and always gives superior results. Compared to a set of much much smaller stones, whether natural or synthetics... if I hone on $40 Nortons, I have to hone 1000 razors to break even. I suppose a Norton is good for 1000 razors. So if you hone like 33 razors a day in only 3 years your honing expenses would be lower than mine. Of course, I would also be getting better edges with less work. Oops, what if I turn the ThorLabs sheets and cut them in 4ths crossways, I get 4 pieces from each sheet. I would then get about 48 razors per sheet. But why do that? Then I am honing on a much smaller 9" x 3-1/4" surface. Still considerably bigger than those poor little Nortons, though.

For those of us who might hone an average of a razor a day, I would say film is much cheaper. If you hone 30 or 40 razors per day, maybe go with the rocks, if you will settle for a rock-honed edge on your razors and don't mind the extra work.

IMHO, Slash's calculations are flawed. He figures only a dozen razors per strip. I am currently working on number 43 (at least) - some have come from bevel setting (which I do on a DMT - not on the film) all the way forward. I'm currently doing 60 laps for each size paper - with about 80 laps on the coarse paper right after the DMT. I didn't scientifically figure this out - I just bought a pack from bestsharpeningstones (pack #2) and used each size in order. I cut mine in thirds so I still have two more fresh sheets if and when I go to a new sheet. My last razor was last night and I shaved with it right after that. Uber sharp and I used a CrO2 and denim paddle to calm it down just a bit.

Also, FWIW, I've used paper underneath for all sizes. It seems to work fine and the feel is better to me. I've also used it only for the final polishing and that works, too.

To be fair, there have been one or two razors that required rework but they were difficult and would have required lots of work on the stones, too. I've done three wedges and had very good results - most razors were 1/2 hollow or full hollow. The wedges take a bit more effort in some cases but there is nothing magic going on - just hone them until they are sharp and don't be afraid to drop back and start with much coarser paper if the first progression sucked.

Sorry if this was already covered but where is the easiest place to get lapping film in Europe? Also can a bevel be set with it? I am getting more and more interested in giving it a shot.

I suppose it could be set with them but I like to use a DMT. One of the features of lapping film is that it uses a reliable and stable platform for each progression. Stretching it and trying to set a bevel with a grit that you would not consider using if it was a stone doesn't seem logical.

As far as Europe is concerned, I noticed that several suppliers send to Europe. If BestSharpingStones doesn't or is too pricey, then look at Digikey or other suppliers who do send there. Do a Google for lapping film, get a cup of coffee, and shop. You might want to post any success back here since I'm sure our brothers in Europe are picking up on this 'discovery'.

Last edited:
You might also try Specialized products where I got mine. Granted the sheets are 9 X 6.5 which I cut into roughly 3 X 9 strips. At basically .25 cents a strip ( .50 a sheet) I didn't think it was out of line. A pack of 25 goes for $11.25.
The carry a decent selection of 15,12,9,5,3,2,1 and .3 micron. All sold in 25 packs for the same $11.25.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
You only need the paper, IMHO, with the final grade of film in your progression.

Paper is the key to the process. Any surface, no matter how well lapped, will benefit from having the film "float" over the surface to which it is attached. This effectively completes the lapping process, allowing for the finest edge.

I am currently in posession of some high end, dedicated paper for this purpose from the celebrated producer Specially Treated Artisanally Prepared Lapping Enhancing Sheets. They are available for one dollar each in 8.5x11" size, and I am offering a 20% discount for the bulk pack of 500 sheets, now only $400 including CONUS shipping.

Those looking for a granite surface plate and can't find one locally should check out grizzly.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-x...m=productlisting&utm_campaign=google+products

I bought the 6x8x2" one (more to use on its side for a 2" wide honing surface) for like $23 shipped. When I picked up the package yesterday on arrival I was shocked. Thing weighed like 20-30 lbs (seriously). Not sure how they got away shipping that for $8.

They all sorts of plate sizes and I'll probably use the normal surface (6x8") for lapping film and kitchen knives. The edges and top of the plate seem perfectly flat and even the corners are chamfered. The bottom is rough, but obviously not needed.

Much cheaper than using my Frankonian as a bas as I've been doing lately.

I am currently in posession of some high end, dedicated paper for this purpose from the celebrated producer Specially Treated Artisanally Prepared Lapping Enhancing Sheets. They are available for one dollar each in 8.5x11" size, and I am offering a 20% discount for the bulk pack of 500 sheets, now only $400 including CONUS shipping.

OK... that was funny. I am still waking up (on my first cup of coffee) and it took a second but it was the better for it.

Those looking for a granite surface plate and can't find one locally should check out grizzly.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-x-8-x-2-Granite-Surface-Plate-No-Ledge/G9647?utm_source=google&utm_medium=productlisting&utm_campaign=google%2Bproducts

I bought the 6x8x2" one (more to use on its side for a 2" wide honing surface) for like $23 shipped. When I picked up the package yesterday on arrival I was shocked. Thing weighed like 20-30 lbs (seriously). Not sure how they got away shipping that for $8.

They all sorts of plate sizes and I'll probably use the normal surface (6x8") for lapping film and kitchen knives. The edges and top of the plate seem perfectly flat and even the corners are chamfered. The bottom is rough, but obviously not needed.

Much cheaper than using my Frankonian as a bas as I've been doing lately.

You might also try Specialized products where I got mine. Granted the sheets are 9 X 6.5 which I cut into roughly 3 X 9 strips. At basically .25 cents a strip ( .50 a sheet) I didn't think it was out of line. A pack of 25 goes for $11.25.
The carry a decent selection of 15,12,9,5,3,2,1 and .3 micron. All sold in 25 packs for the same $11.25.

Both of these is what I did got my sheets from Specialized Products and the 6 x 8 surface plate from Grizzly. I went for the smaller plate as I don't have much room to store stuff. I just do a few more laps is all.

Top Bottom