What's new

Lapping film, try it.

Just hope from China it is decent film and not "Film Shaped Object" lol
Here is the exact product description.
Made by 3M 261X Plastics Substrate Sandpaper Rolls

Base: 0.3MIL polyester film, MIL (1/1000 inches)

Size: 8.5" * 11" (215.9mm * 279.4 mm)

Specifications:

0.3mic (white) ultrafine 12000#

1mic ( light green) 10000#

3mic (pink) 8000#

5mic (Coffee) 6000#

9mic (blue) 2000#

12mic ( yellow) 1500#

30 mic ( dark green) 800#

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Okay if genuine 3M then it is premium stuff. I think the micron to grit scale is a little off tho. 1u is about equal or maybe slightly finer than 12k JIS grit or about 14k ANSI grit. Roughly. .3u is probably a good bit finer than 20k but less than 50k...? Numbers, shmumbers. There are a couple of charts out there. But I always figure 1u is a direct replacement for a 12k Naniwa.

Last edited:
Like Hoka, I read this whole *amn thread over the course of many days, and subsequently took up using lapping film. I have been producing excellent edges using the following progression:

1200 (Extra Fine) DMT
4000 (6 Micron) DMT
3 Micron Film
1 Micron Film
1 Micron Film with a proprietary Specially Treated Artisanally Prepared Lapping Enhancing Sheet underneath.
Felt strop with .5 mic CrOx

I've been using a spray bottle and a $4 squeege to get the dust and stuff of of the stone and film, otherwise my process is like everyone else's. Here's a pic of my honing station. I've been enjoying very comfortable shaves.

Thanks Seraphim, Slash and everyone else who contributed to this thread!!

It's an old Post, but I don't think staples under the mapping film would work very well. Staples would be like 60 grit bumps :a29:

For people that like supporting brick and mortar stores. Graybar Electrical Supply is in all 50 states, Canada, and Puerto Rico and sells lapping films. Electrical supply and telecom supply companies generally have them. The internet is probably cheaper, but at the supply companies, you'll be able to buy the grit sizes you need in the amounts you want. So they might be cheaper short term, replacing sheets worn out from a variety pack purchased on the internet.

For people that like supporting brick and mortar stores. Graybar Electrical Supply is in all 50 states, Canada, and Puerto Rico and sells lapping films. Electrical supply and telecom supply companies generally have them. The internet is probably cheaper, but at the supply companies, you'll be able to buy the grit sizes you need in the amounts you want. So they might be cheaper short term, replacing sheets worn out from a variety pack purchased on the internet.
AliExpress $15.66 shipped. Not sure about the quality.

Good to know. I have a local GB

I noticed wear pattern/ marking on my film is near the edges of film on acrylic, length wise.
Yes my blades are straight , no frown
Is this normal?

Also I have to rinse acrylic base and film every time to keep it crunch free, and often during

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Try filing a small 45deg bevel at the edge of the acrylic. Could be a bit of distortion from the cutting of the piece. But yes, you should rinse often.

Another success story here. I just started straight razor shaving about 2-3 weeks ago with a Gold Dollar I purchased from Razor Emporium.

Decided I really liked it and ordered up some razors and 3m film from eBay. Decided to hone one tonight beginning by raising a burr on my King 1k then progressing through the films with the picopaper finish.

Tonight was my first shave with not only a razor I honed myself but a Spike as well. Ended the shave with ZERO nicks and was able to finally successfully shave ATG on my neck. Something I had not been able to accomplish with my Naniwa 12k honed GD.

One pass on the cheeks yielded a closer shave than I had gotten from the GD going WTG and XTG. I am floored and excited to continue honing cool eBay finds.

For those who have both, for an already well honed razor, which do you prefer to use for touch-ups , one or two grits of lapping film , or pasted balsa strop?
If you’re using the pasted balsa per the method you probably will never need to go back to film. If you’re touching up an edge that hasn’t been finished per the method the lapping film is the ticket. 1u should do everything you need for a touch up.

I use Nanolap to source my lapping film which I use for knives. Never used it on a razor but it is great stuff and the best price I have found.

For those who have both, for an already well honed razor, which do you prefer to use for touch-ups , one or two grits of lapping film , or pasted balsa strop?
I do about 50 light laps on the .1u pasted balsa strop after every shave. The razor has maintained a sharp edge for two months. I have not felt the need to hone it again yet.

The investment is low enough that you should purchase both and make your own decision. Many different edge characteristics are available from those two mediums.

how are the lower grits; 12u, 15u, 50u for bevel setting and /or restorations
pasted balsa, imho it is less invasive, less lost metal. .25u and .1u pasted balsa are less invasive than 3u , 1u film the question is what is a touch up? and why? if edge is maintained on .1 micron after shaving you may never need more than that.

Top Bottom