What's new

Lapping film, try it.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Welcome to the world of GD razors. What you have is not a stock GD66. It has been modified, but not all that well. OR maybe it is one of the new "W" series GDs. At any rate you can expect that sort of performnce, especially the first time you hone it. The jimps should never even be in contact with the film. Lead with the heel a bit and never let the shoulder ride up on the hone. This will elevate the heel up off the hone, and press the toe down onto it, resulting in a curved or tapered edge eventually, and cheating the heel so that it doesn't get sharp.

I bet you are bench honing, i.e. resting the plate on a counter, bench, or table. If you hone in hand you will have better feedback and you will quickly sense when you are pushing the shoulder and shank up on the hone.

As for getting the tip of the toe and heel sharp, there are two approaches. One is to roll the razor up a bit at one end of the stroke to get some love on the toe, and down for hitting the heel, with the toe elevated slightly. The other way is to just not worry about it. You don't need the last tiny fraction of an inch to shave. The rolling X stroke can give you an end to end shaveworthy edge but it can also easily be overdone and cause heel and toe to curve up even more. Straight honing will give you a more precise edge over 95% of the blade length and cause normal honing wear to give you an edge that becomes straighter and straighter over the years, eventually catching up with the unhoned tips so that they get some love too. Easier and usually in the long run, better.

It's just a GD. I say go back to the bevel setter and give it hell. Hone IN HAND. Use plenty of pressure initially, though. The idea is to remove all the steel that doesn't need to be there. Keep the shoulder off the hone. Lighten your pressure before you start up the progression.

If you don't have your balsa and diamond paste yet, then you should use the lather trick and also a half dozen laps over picopaper and some pull strokes too, followed by a half dozen of the lightest pressure laps you can manage. This will up the game a LOT, giving you a sharper, but also smoother edge.

If in doubt, read the entire thread again. ALL questions have been answered, even the ones you don't know to ask yet.

Film is just part of The Method. When you have it nailed, look into the other part. The balsa part.

Thanks bluesman and slash.

Yes, I did bench hone and not in hand. I'll give that a shot later today. I initially started with the 12u film, but wasn't getting the bevel I was liking so I went all the way back to the 60u sheet and went at it. I was able to knock away a good amount of stuff and get the burr developed. I then went through each film with 60 laps. I did try a heel leading stroke, but the left side would occasionally catch the jimps on the film if my stroke wasn't even and mar up the film edge. I'll take my dremel to them to match them up with the other side to see if that helps.

I do have some balsa, but no paste yet. I did do the damp paper under the .3u film.

I think this is one of the newer GD models. There is lettering on the tang that says Gold Dollar 1996. Here is a link to the amazon listing where I bought it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073RXY8N2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I have a 1996 with red acrylic scales and it is a good razor. It is easier to hone due to the lack of stabilizers. I use film and pasted balsa (The Method) to great success. Daily use of the .1 paste and you will never need another razor although you will acquire many I expect.

Very true. I already have a GD 66 in my Amazon cart and went to a couple of the local flea markets to see if I could find some cheap vintage blades.

I think I am going to hold off on re-honing the 1996. Think I will practice on the 66 once it gets here in a few days first. Once I am more comfortable with that I will tackle the 1996 again.

Great thread... Learning tons as I go. I am in the same boat as many... Trying not to wreck my good razors as I learn. I just picked up a couple cheap lots of razors on eBay, so I should have some good practice coming up before I put the new Iwasaki or Aust to the stones/paper/paste/wood. I did get a lot of Japanese Kamisori, along with Western style to maximize my climb up the leaving curve.

Quick question on the balsa... Any preferences as to hardness? I got a few blocks cut, and there were many grades of hardness available. I didn't specify, so will get whatever, but in the pursuit of the ultimate edge, any thoughts?

It may be in one of the thousands of posts above me...I must have missed it. [emoji106][emoji106]

Thanks again to all who give so much to help. What a great resource.

Cheers

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
TBH I have never seen it graded by hardness, so I don't know. I would think that softer would allow the diamond particles to nest deeper into the grain, making it slower. Harder would accept fewer diamonds in the grain, and there might be a risk of poorly seated diamonds rolling around on the surface, creating a slurry effect. So just guessing, I would say try a middle grade hardness first, experiment later with softer or harder. If in doubt, go softer.

I have tried white pine, and it didn't work so well, come to think of it. White pine is harder I am sure than the hardest balsa. Could I be wrong? Yup.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
If you are looking for a wood harder than balsa, I would recommend trying bass wood also known in Europe as Linden. In my cabinet making days, we used it a lot for framing cabinets. It's a fine grained, very light colored wood, harder and heavier than balsa but not a really hard wood It sands very smooth and takes stains evenly. I've seen it used for CrOx strops on YouTube but no idea how it would work with diamond. I do expect it would require less frequent lapping though.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Just ordered some 3M lapping film from a company called RS Hughes. Sells for $1.45 per sheet. Aluminum oxide film except for the 5u which is Silicon carbide. I am assuming that will not be an issue. Shipping is almost as much as the order — purchased 3 sheets of each.

'Lapping film' search results (R.S.Hughes)
And shipping for 10 or 20 sheets would probably be about the same, so cheaper per sheet to order the lifetime supply next time. TAP Plastics will cut you a 12"*3"*3/4" acrylic plate that is perfect for film honing. Get three more, and a 36" long piece of balsa, and diamond pastes, and you will have the entire Method kit.

@Slash McCoy agreed concerning lapping film. Figured three sheets of each will let me give this a try before committing to the lifetime supply!! I also ordered the acrylic boards from TAP and diamond paste from Ted Pella. Picking up some balsa today. Have some marble tile lying around the house also.
Sending my two daily driver straights to Doc226 for honing. Keeping my two sight unseen vintages to try the lapping film/balsa progression. Only 1 of my 4 razors treetopped a random hair at 1/8 inch. So basically I have been shaving with a butter knife!!
Would you recommend that I set a bevel on my vintages first or can I just start the lapping film progression with the 5u film?

Just ordered some 3M lapping film from a company called RS Hughes. Sells for $1.45 per sheet. Aluminum oxide film except for the 5u which is Silicon carbide. I am assuming that will not be an issue. Shipping is almost as much as the order — purchased 3 sheets of each.

'Lapping film' search results (R.S.Hughes)

Just received notice from RS Hughes that they don’t sell individual sheets despite what their website says. Smallest quantity is 50 sheets. Just cancelled my order and went with 10 sheet packs from Thorlabs instead.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I think the last batch I ordered was from this guy:
http://www.nanolaptech.com
[email protected]
You might drop him a line. He has AlOx from 1u all the way to 60u. Tell him I recommended you and gave you da passwoid LOL! Seriously his website doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles and you can't order directly from the site so know what you want, and ask him for a price and give him your shipping info, 90's style. You want Aluminum Oxide, plain back, not sticky back. Full size sheets.

Nope- that video is legit. I always try to get all the air bubbles out from under the film. But you’ll get sharp that way!

That is exactly what to be looking for. Just make sure you get all the different grits so you can go from bevel set down to the 0.3 mic before pasted balsa. Technically you could go from 30 to 1 mic and then on to pasted balsa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, lapping film works. This is a great deal to have the whole variety you could need to hone a razor.
That is exactly what to be looking for. Just make sure you get all the different grits so you can go from bevel set down to the 0.3 mic before pasted balsa. Technically you could go from 30 to 1 mic and then on to pasted balsa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you, $12.72 shipped, great deal.

Top Bottom