What's new

Lapping an Ozuku Jnat

AF3786DB-A3BD-4DE4-AF84-0BAFA3403A40.jpeg
Just received an Ozuku. Surely needs to be lapped.
I have an assortment of w/d sandpaper and SiC in grits from around 60 up to 600. I am not well versed in the Jnat disciplines. Any help as to what steps are necessary will be most appreciated.

These Ozukus are pretty hard you can start with the SIC powder and finish with the W/D sandpaper for final finishing. I used an Atoma 400 on mine and it took a little while. I see at the top right of your stone there is a little divot along the edge I would a chamfer to that side rather than dressing the entire stone down.

BTW your stone looks a lot better than mine did coming from CKTG.

I am still sawing through one of those to remove an unlappable inclusion. Some of those scratches look deep...enjoy!!

I got one a few months ago and if i recall correctly i just rubbed it for a long while on SIC and then wet/dry. it was surprisingly hard, so takes a good while. Find something good to watch, like the entire Lord of the Rings.

I don't know jnats myself, but an experienced and respected honemeister told me that once his jnat finisher has been lapped flat, the atoma 1200 that he uses to create slurry, keeps it flat. The action of making slurry, keeps it good, always.

Very elegant solution.

But back to your question about lapping. I like a lapper bigger than the stone, so periphery and center all get equal love.

So a one inch thick piece of cast acrylic the size of a full sheet of 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Also you can see through it so you know what grit you're using.

lapping plate 1.jpg
lapping plate 2.jpg

Top Bottom