What's new

Lapping 8k 10k

I just got my first whetstones and lapped the 8k and 10k stones. These are the only stones I'd figure I needed since the razor is shaving but tuggy. The problem is that my 8k and 10k stones feel more rough than even the 400 or the 1k stone. Am I missing something here? Wrong lapping technique? Mislabeled stones?

I just got my first whetstones and lapped the 8k and 10k stones. These are the only stones I'd figure I needed since the razor is shaving but tuggy. The problem is that my 8k and 10k stones feel more rough than even the 400 or the 1k stone. Am I missing something here? Wrong lapping technique? Mislabeled stones?
20191118_161826.jpg

I have one Chinese synthetic double sided 2000/5000# and the 5000# side feels rougher with finger and feedback when honing. But do refine the edge from the 2000# side.

You need to evaluate what the stone do by testing sharpness on knife/razor.
Cheap synthetic I bought often not match the grit rating put out on the stone when over 1000#.

I have one Chinese synthetic double sided 2000/5000# and the 5000# side feels rougher with finger and feedback when honing. But do refine the edge from the 2000# side.

You need to evaluate what the stone do by testing sharpness on knife/razor.
Cheap synthetic I bought often not match the grit rating put out on the stone when over 1000#.
Interesting. It also seems like that lapping plate did a disservice to the 8k and 10k stone. Left it rough with lines throughout. I must have done something wrong...

Could be the lapping stone is to rough or uneven for high grit stone.
Test using wet/dry sandpaper 400# or similar on flat surface if you have or on top of flattening stone and running water.
What is the flattening stone?

The flattenig stone is the one on the pic with the ridges. I just rubbed that on the 8K and 10K stone. Am I supposed to use that to level the stone and something else to smooth it out? Could I use the 400# stone to lap if thats the case?

For honing straight razor I find it essential to get the hone/stone flat. I use a very straight ruler( daylight or lamp) to
check if the hone is flat or not. Diamond flattening and sharpening plate like DMT and Atoma have very flat surfaces.
I also have Naniwa synthetic flattening stone that looks similar to yours that not work as well for flattening stone for honing straight razors, but it work.

Don't know how well yours work.
Perhaps it helps to smooth the high grit stone with the 400#.
I use a hard natural stone with perhaps 400# to smooth my stone/hone after using coarse DMT diamond flattening plate. But I want both flat and smooth enough. Get smooth is rather easy and fast using a hard natural or wet/dry sandpaper.

That is a coarse lapping plate.
Finish lapping with at least 400 W/D - 600 is even better.
Coarse finish on your finish stone will give you a rough feeling and a sub standard result in use.

That is a coarse lapping plate.
Finish lapping with at least 400 W/D - 600 is even better.
Coarse finish on your finish stone will give you a rough feeling and a sub standard result in use.
What does W/D mean?

Should I get 400 grit sandpaper to smooth the stones back out?

I see. Thank you for all of the advice. I'll have another go at it and hopefully get better results.

I see. Thank you for all of the advice. I'll have another go at it and hopefully get better results.
The best thing O ever did for my honing is pick up a 400 Atoma plate to level my stones.

I used to use a flattening stone like yours, but when i changed it showed how bad of a job it actually did.

I don't think those cheap amazon stones are really true to those numbers. I hope you find better results but I gave a bunch of test razors to one of my brothers and he bought some of those type of sharpening stones off of Amazon. The numbers are silly and what ever they are made of I wouldn't use past grinding out chips for razor use. I would not at all be surprised if your "10K" was indeed more coarse than the other "numbers" - seriously. At least from what I held. They were fine for some kitchen knives so he ended up OK.

i actually have similar 3K 8K. i consider it 2k/5k best. I do not trust these either. i would consider lapping films as least expensive option

I lap my finishing stones on 1.2k wet/dry sandpaper on a flat granite top. My japanese 8k feel and look like glass.

Stone quality is going to be determining factor.

I have and used to use a flattening stone like you have pictured. It is very course and It itself became concave after some use, so it's now useless.. I too now use 400 w/D on flat tile..

I lap my finishing stones on 1.2k wet/dry sandpaper on a flat granite top. My japanese 8k feel and look like glass.

Stone quality is going to be determining factor.

Do you use 1200 w/d sandpaper from start to finish?
I am about to commence lapping a Naniwa SS 3/10K combination stone.
Just wondering if I need to be using different grit sandpaper for each side.
I'd much rather use just one grit and be done with it...unless that's not advisable.
What grit sandpaper would you guys recommend?

I've got a super flat 12"X12" granite tile for this purpose.

Top Bottom