What's new

Lapping 12k hone

I was going to buy a 12k stone eventually and I understand you have to lap it before first use. Now I understand the most inexpensive and effective way to lap a hone is wet/dry sandpaper. My question is, what grit should I finish on when working with a 12k hone? I know a lot of people use 325 grit DMT, but someone else told me I should rub a slurry stone afterwards to smooth it out or move to a higher grit sandpaper, so what is an ideal grit to finish with?

What about for an 8k hone, what grit do I finish with when lapping?

Legion

Staff member
Lap on about 320, and finish it with a sheet of 600. Give it a rub with a slurry stone and you should be right to go.

Another quick question for you guys, I was maybe going to purchase a coticule instead of a 12k, would 600 grit still be good to finish on a coticule?

Also, can the sharpening plate I use be smaller than the stone? Like for example would a 6x2 DMT plate be fine to lap a 3inch 12k plate? I guess you would just have to do figure 8's, or is this not ideal?

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Finishing with 600 W/D is fine on a coticule. Just give it a good rubbing with your slurry stone after lapping and you'll be good to go.

I've tried to use a lapping plate that was smaller than my stone and had trouble, but YMMV.

Top Bottom