What's new

lanolin as preshave

I found an old bottle of lanolin the other day cleaning through my parents house. I remember I used to add a drop to a puck of Williams years ago before I would begin loading a brush. I tried some as a preshave today along wit Barbasol's Pacific Rush, and I got a decent SAS one-pass shave with a Bic razor and with very little irritation. Lanolin seems to increase both the slickness and protection of the shave.

BTW, the lanolin has an animal smell, sort of like a wet dog. I assume since it's a wax, it's probably still OK, but the smell is stronger than you'ld think and does get through whatever soap or cream you are using, to some extent.

Last edited:
Yeah I’ve read that Lanolin leaves a great soft post shave feel to the skin.
Barbasol used to make a foam with it as an ingredient but I don’t see it for sale anymore. I believe that MWF soap contains it, so I’ve read.

Barbasol used to make a foam with it as an ingredient but I don’t see it for sale anymore. I believe that MWF soap contains it, so I’ve read.

Barbasol Extra Moisture still has lanolin. They just changed the name and look of the can.

I think I'm going to try some fresh lanolin oil. While the oil can't spoil per se, it can oxidize.

I shaved with a razor that was over a week old and not as sharp as it was, but I noticed the shave was still comfortable and easy enough.

I found an old bottle of lanolin the other day cleaning through my parents house. I remember I used to add a drop to a puck of Williams years ago before I would begin loading a brush. I tried some as a preshave today along wit Barbasol's Pacific Rush, and I got a decent SAS one-pass shave with a Bic razor and with very little irritation. Lanolin seems to increase both the slickness and protection of the shave.

BTW, the lanolin has an animal smell, sort of like a wet dog. I assume since it's a wax, it's probably still OK, but the smell is stronger than you'ld think and does get through whatever soap or cream you are using, to some extent.
Well I’m sure you know lanolin comes from probably a sheep , hence the smell . Since this is an old product I would be inclined to use something else.

I've churned through a fair few creams (proraso, speick, palmolive, nivea, gillette, ...), and settled on Godrej which has lanolin. Besides the excellent lather of this cream (produces so much good lather, and doesn't dissipate quickly), I find my face has a very supple feel to it afterward when using Godrej, which I am taking a guess is the lanolin.

I've churned through a fair few creams (proraso, speick, palmolive, nivea, gillette, ...), and settled on Godrej which has lanolin. Besides the excellent lather of this cream (produces so much good lather, and doesn't dissipate quickly), I find my face has a very supple feel to it afterward when using Godrej, which I am taking a guess is the lanolin.

I've used that too. Godrej is good stuff.

I think lanolin is used alot because it's close to human sebum moreso than vegetable oils. Jojoba is also close, similar to lanolin, but I've never heard of it being used in a shave cream or soap.

Top Bottom