What's new

Lanolin as an aftershave moisturizer

I haven't seen much information on this topic and that's why I'm asking. What are the community's thoughts on using pure lanolin as a post shave balm? It's considered a terrific moisturizer and it's natural although unprocessed lanolin has a funky smell. The smell doesn't bother me (I spent a lot of time on a farm with livestock growing up).

I haven't seen much information on this topic and that's why I'm asking. What are the community's thoughts on using pure lanolin as a post shave balm? It's considered a terrific moisturizer and it's natural although unprocessed lanolin has a funky smell. The smell doesn't bother me (I spent a lot of time on a farm with livestock growing up).
Pure lanolin is sticky. I don't know how you would spread it on your face, honestly.

You can get ultra-refined lanolin in the baby care aisle...nursing mothers use it when things get chapped and cracked; the refined stuff has no odor. I've used it as an overnight lip-balm when my lips are super chapped, it is very hydrophilic so it sucks in whatever moisture it can and keeps it on your skin.

I'm sure it could be mixed or emulsified with something else to make it spreadable, but as a single ingredient, it would be really impractical as a balm.

Mine is a tiny 1oz jar advertised as a balm (the jar reminds me of tiger balm). Described as "100% unadulterated anhydrous lanolin. No preservatives or additives, dyes or other chemicals."

I've had no issued with spreading it around. It's not too sticky.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I would suggest CeraVe moisturizing lotion, it will give your skin all you need from a balm + Scentless.
Z-CeraVe shave products .jpg

Reactions: vpr
Mine is a tiny 1oz jar advertised as a balm (the jar reminds me of tiger balm). Described as "100% unadulterated anhydrous lanolin. No preservatives or additives, dyes or other chemicals."

I've had no issued with spreading it around. It's not too sticky.
Huh. Well, if it works for ya, that's what counts.

I would suggest CeraVe moisturizing lotion, it will give your skin all you need from a balm + Scentless.
Ron,

You and I are a lot alike. I've recently used the Lubriderm unscented lotion with fantastic results. At night, I do a facewash a few times a week with Cetaphil Moisturizing Relief body wash. Same feeling and it cleans everything up on top of it. Even used it to shave a few times and it's super slick and makes the skin just feel great. Unscented, no parabens, extra glycerin and shea butter, etc.

There's a lot of great products in the drugstore...;)

It’s a fat, it prevents water evaporating from your skin. To do so the water would have to pass through the fat layer, but it can’t because water and fats don’t mix.

Most skin moisturizers are pretty much the same. Glycerin is a humectant that draws water to the skin surface. Some fat or other prevents it from leaving.

I would stick with a commercial concoction, practical containers, dispensing, texture, fragrance.

I received a Maul aftershave for Christmas that I started using this week. I noticed first use that it was kind of oily and left my skin feeling a bit greasy. When I read the ingredients it has lanolin in it. I think it's actually made a difference with my skin. Haven't had a weeper in a week.
@Ron R does that CeraVe have lanolin it?
I also remember that Mike's Shaving soap had lanolin in it.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I received a Maul aftershave for Christmas that I started using this week. I noticed first use that it was kind of oily and left my skin feeling a bit greasy. When I read the ingredients it has lanolin in it. I think it's actually made a difference with my skin. Haven't had a weeper in a week.
@Ron R does that CeraVe have lanolin it?
I also remember that Mike's Shaving soap had lanolin in it.
No, I do not think so but it has 3 essential ceramides(fats?) and Hyaluronic acid. The Hyaluronic acid is what makes this balm( moisturizer) works well. Hyaluronic acid is very expensive and very little is needed and that is why also CeraVe stands out. I was using Nivea balm for the longest time and bought a 2 ounces of H.A and added a drop to my dollop of Nivea balm and what a difference that made (I new it made a huge difference when added).
Hyaluronic acid works excellent when added to a balm and CeraVe has it added and the results are excellent and very affordable. It does not feel oily with in 30 seconds and what it does is just adds a thin layer of good skin food to let your skin recoup from the shave soaps that are generally slightly alkaline on the PH scale. Your wife might borrow it quite a bit, women use it a lot also for their skin tone complexion and it would not be around if it was no good, they are vocal bunch of folks:001_rolle. You do not need very much CeraVe IMO(big Pea size dollop) and lasts a long time a jug of it. In winter months I also use it on my hands when they get dried out.
Another nice strength I forgot to mention it is scentless and will not interfere with aftershave fragrance or colognes.

Last edited:
No, I do not think so but it has 3 essential ceramides(fats?) and Hyaluronic acid. The Hyaluronic acid is what makes this balm( moisturizer) works well. Hyaluronic acid is very expensive and very little is needed and that is why also CeraVe stands out. I was using Nivea balm for the longest time and bought a 2 ounces of H.A and added a drop to my dollop of Nivea balm and what a difference that made (I new it made a huge difference when added).
Hyaluronic acid works excellent when added to a balm and CeraVe has it added and the results are excellent and very affordable. It does not feel oily with in 30 seconds and what it does is just adds a thin layer of good skin food to let your skin recoup from the shave soaps that are generally slightly alkaline on the PH scale. Your wife might borrow it quite a bit, women use it a lot also for their skin tone complexion and it would not be around if it was no good, they are vocal bunch of folks. You do not need very much CeraVe IMO and lasts a long time a jug of it. In winter months I also use it on my hands when they get dried out.
Thanks Ron! Is it available in your average Canadian drug store?

Thanks Ron! Is it available in your average Canadian drug store?

I got some at London Drugs on sale if you are in the west. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work that well for me. Maol, on the other hand, is fantastic. I assume largely due to the lanolin which my mug seems to love (big MWF fan too).

The lanolin has made a marked difference to my beard skin. It has gotten incredibly smooth. That probably also helps with cuts while shaving. I'm going to try CeraVe too and see if it's similar in effect.

Top Bottom