What's new

Lanolin and Tallow

Mitchell's Wool Fat has those ingredients. Haslinger Schafmilch does also I believe. And as others have stated there are many.

Haslinger Shafmilch
MWF
Strop Shoppe LE (you have to check the particular scent)
Barrister and Mann
Mikes
Cold River
Some Mystic Waters
Stirling
Wilkinson stick

There's more but that should get you going. I turn to lanolin this time of year as well. I'd also recommend myrsol emulsion for pre and post shave as well as DR Harris milks.

A soap with these two ingredients would be my perfect soap. Does it exist?

Why is that?

The reason I ask is that I used to be a 'tallow only' guy until I tried some of the high end veggie soaps, which made me realize they're not necessary for a top performing soap, many of my current favorites are veggie.

Haslinger Shafmilch would top the list of soaps with both for me, personally. Strop Shoppe also makes some great soaps with both. Catie's Bubbles, while a veggie, also leaves my skin feeling great.

This time of year, my skin also appreciates the moisturizing properties of a soap with both tallow and lanolin, especially while standing at the train station platform in the bitter Chicago polar vortexes.

I like the uber lather of Godrej and RR p160, also got the RR XXX but haven't tried it yet.

Ideally I want beef tallow and the soaps all listed above have sheep tallow.

From Wikipedia:

Niche uses[edit]

An 1883 ad soliciting tallow from butchers and graziers for soap production in the Hawaiʻi newspaper The Daily Bulletin​

Many items of traditional goods are produced from tallow, which was widely available domestically. Tallow can also be used as flux for soldering.[SUP][6][/SUP] It is also the primary ingredient in some leather conditioners. Tallow used to be used commonly in high-end shaving soaps, in particular those of elite British firms such as Geo. F Trumper, Truefitt & Hill, and Taylor of Old Bond Street. While these firms have reformulated to a vegetable base, tallow-based soaps still exist, including the soaps from American firms, Williams Mug Shaving Soap, Nod Hill Soap, and soaps from Turkey and Italy.
Tallow also has a use in printmaking where it is combined with bitumen and applied to metal print plates to provide a resist to acid etching.

Last edited:
Indeed, looks very enticing. For now I've got to get through about 3-5 years of soaps and creams, but thanks for the tip.

If it has lanolin though, it technically can't be a veggie soap, because lanolin is from sheep - this is why I offer 2 versions - tallow for the 99% who don't care and vegan for the 1% that do :laugh: (and actually of that 1%, 0.5% won't buy from me because I offer tallow, but whatever, nearly no one seems to care that much plus tallow is less wasteful than palm oil)

Lots of nice tallow soaps to choose from though, PhilC put together a really nice list, but if you have 3 to 5 years worth maybe you need a ban lol lol

Top Bottom