What's new

Landline phones

We have kept our LL. Still the clearest without thinking about dropped calls but we hardly use it. Only $10 month with Spectrum.

My landline was part of my cable package. It cost $14 a month. I dropped it when I retired 3 years ago. It was kinda hard getting rid of the same number I had for 30 years. It rarely rang and I never called out on it. I dont miss it.

I haven’t had a landline since 1999. I do miss the big old Bell Atlantic phones though. Made phone calls seem more important.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
We still have a land line. It's bundled with my internet and only cost $10 per month.
Personally I would like to get rid of it but the wife still uses it and wants to keep it.
$10 a month is cheap to keep the wife happy.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Gave up the landline over 12 or 13 years ago. Sometimes I wish I'd kept it as cell phone connections are often junk, hard to hear on, dropped calls, etc. When I retire I plan to give up my cell phone and go back to a land line.

It's been quite a cultural shift because it used to be when you dialed someone's phone number you were dialing a place, namely their residence, or place of business. Now when you call a number you're calling an individual, namely their smart phone they keep on their person at all times. To me the cons of having a cell phone outweigh the pros, but it seems like I'm stuck with it at least until I retire.

I used to work in the telecom & network industries. For years, my "landline" has been a Cisco terminal adapter running SIP Voice over IP on FIOS broadband. I don't have a Verizon landline out of principle! My provider is Callcentric out of NYC and normally costs me less than $10 per month. I still use my vintage Panasonic DECT 6.0 cordless phone set in the house and yard. I have battery backup for my network and phones.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I know it's different everywhere, but in Canada our cable, internet and a landline phone all come wrapped in a bundle. And it is ridiculously expensive.
Anyone on here still use a landline phone at home?
Canada (GTA) here as well. We got rid of the landline years ago and used that money to help offset our cellphone. No bundled package and we shop around continually for better deals.
- Internet .... FIDO ( $56.50 tax incl, unlimited)
- Cell............ FIDO ( $50.85 tax incl, unlimited text/talk; 1GB data)
- TV ............ Rogers($28.24 tax incl, Skinny package)

Still have the land line and an answering machine. SWMBO commented last week "no ones phoned us to ask how the house move went". I did point out that most of our friends and family did call but on the mobiles.

I use a landline for my TAM.
Primary phone is mobile, unlimited calls and sms. Landline is a prepaid VOIP, Grandstream ATA, simple phone and TAM.
Private and unknown numbers are redirected from my mobile to the landline. When I'm at home I can listen who it is and choose to answer or not.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I use a landline for my TAM.
Primary phone is mobile, unlimited calls and sms. Landline is a prepaid VOIP, Grandstream ATA, simple phone and TAM.
Private and unknown numbers are redirected from my mobile to the landline. When I'm at home I can listen who it is and choose to answer or not.
Doesn't your wife have a problem with you calling this TAM all the time?

I’ve got a question for you guys...

Isn’t a voip connection not really a land line? That’s what we get with most all of our internet packages. It’s basically an internet connection that sends the call in a digital format over the internet.

Isn’t a land line an analog signal that is dedicated for phone calls?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I’ve got a question for you guys...

Isn’t a voip connection not really a land line? That’s what we get with most all of our internet packages. It’s basically an internet connection that sends the call in a digital format over the internet.

Isn’t a land line an analog signal that is dedicated for phone calls?
Your explanation is what I always assumed.

Which means you are probably wrong my friend..

A real landline is the old fashioned phone using the copperwire, that's hardly used anymore in netherlands. Internet providers call their voip service "landline"

My wife and I are old enough to remember having party lines, and those huge charges for long distance calls to family. We've had the same cable & fios landline # for 20+ years. If it wasn't for me, my wife would have gotten rid of the landline years ago. She uses her iphone for everything. I never turn my iPhone on and use the landline #. When my wife suggests we get rid of the landline, I suggest we get rid of cable tv. It's been a stalemate for years.

Top Bottom