What's new

Lamy/Parker/Cross choices

I'm intrigued by fountain pens, but haven't taken the plunge yet. I have a $32 credit over at Rakuten, and am thinking of using it on a pen. I've read a lot of the starter recommendation threads, and my choice would be a Pilot Metropolitan except... they don't carry them. Here are some of the ones I've found that are on there:

Ahab Flex, $20
Parker Facet, $20
Parker Inflection, $30
Lamy Safari, $32
Cross Affinity, $33

I'm considering that Parker Facet for cheap, and supposedly it's marked down from $75, but there's not a whole lot of reviews out there. I read some nice things about the Ahab on here, but I'm not sure it's a good first FP? The Lamy always gets love, but the appearance isn't my favorite. Opinions?

Do not get the Ahab. It's a piece of junk and will ruin the fountain pen experience for you.

The Lamy Safari gets a lot of love, but the grip section is awkward for me. I have no idea why they made two indentations like that. I wouldn't recommend buying one unless you can get your hands on it first to make sure it feels comfortable.

I've used a couple entry level Cross pens before and they were okay to write with. They're a decent starter pen, but the converter comes separately.

I know nothing about the Parkers.

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like the Safari is the choice of that group. Although... maybe I could get a Metropolitan elsewhere and just use my credit on a few bottles of ink. Hmm....

I'm intrigued by fountain pens, but haven't taken the plunge yet. I have a $32 credit over at Rakuten, and am thinking of using it on a pen. I've read a lot of the starter recommendation threads, and my choice would be a Pilot Metropolitan except... they don't carry them. Here are some of the ones I've found that are on there:

Ahab Flex, $20
Parker Facet, $20
Parker Inflection, $30
Lamy Safari, $32
Cross Affinity, $33

I'm considering that Parker Facet for cheap, and supposedly it's marked down from $75, but there's not a whole lot of reviews out there. I read some nice things about the Ahab on here, but I'm not sure it's a good first FP? The Lamy always gets love, but the appearance isn't my favorite. Opinions?

While I like my Ahab, I don't consider any Noodlers pen to be a good choice for someone who isn't willing to fiddle with a pen to get it working.

I'm not a huge fan of the modern Parkers or Cross pens, so I would go with the Lamy by default. Having said that, I've owned a couple and sold them as, while they worked well, the ergonomics weren't for me.

Nah get the Lamy, they are great super reliable pens. I have...lets say quite a few and I can just pick any one up and it will start straight away. Great pens

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like the Safari is the choice of that group. Although... maybe I could get a Metropolitan elsewhere and just use my credit on a few bottles of ink. Hmm....

Good thinking! You can get a Metro on Goulet Pens for $15.00 (just add shipping).

I'll join the chorus - the Safari is certainly your best bet from the list you put together. Some other thoughts in your price range...

Pilot Prera is a really nice pen, but they're fine point is a REALLY fine point

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/atn/item/fpr-3sr/?s-id=borderless_browsehist_en

Platinum Preppy is always a nice starting point. Mine didn't last very long (the cap is really fragile), but they're cheap and a good entry point to see if you like using fountain pens. You can get a converter or turn into eyedropper-fill

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/ikeman/item/4977114109676/

Or you can trade up a few dollars for the Platinum Plaisir. I find this to be a workhorse of a pen that gets little love in the forums.

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/atn/item/pgb1000/

I see the Pelikan Pelikano for a good price, which is a nice writing pen. Currently sold out though.

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/atn/item/pelikano-f/

That's also some really nice prices for iroshizuku ink!!

Good luck!

Darrin

Okay, I went ahead and got three ink bottles with my credit, Namiki Blue, Noodler's Bulletproof Black and Pelikan 4001 Brown. I guess I better get a pen now! :001_tt2:

The Metro is a fantastic pen, its one of my workhorses for notes (doing a post-grad). If you find the medium nib not to your liking, you can always order some cheap 78g from an online auction site and swap out the mid sections as they are the same

If you have a Staples office supply store nearby, you can order a Metropolitan online from Staples.com and have it shipped free to your local store for pickup. For $14.99, you can't beat that deal.

Top Bottom