What's new

Lambda Lovers

I have a theory that razors hold blades very rigidly can make a larger range of blades slightly more usable. They won't make a blade that doesn't work for you be great, but just a bit less bad. I get this feeling from using Hensons, which have a high bend and strong clamping. Likewise a great blades get a bit better too, so I still don't want to use bad blades.

YMMV, IMHO, etc.
I just pulled out my Athena to try a Bic Chrome Platinum and it was perfectly smooth against the grain in this razor. Maybe the blade curvature and clamping so close to the edge really did eliminate the chatter these blades always had for me. It wasn’t harsh at all and these might become my go-to blades with the Athena and Ares since they’re so very smooth when they don’t chatter, and they’re nicely sharp. I’m quite pleased about this. It seems fitting too because they’re Greek blades.

It was also a superb shave, despite my wife walking in and messing around while I was trying to concentrate.

If anyone was wondering how the Athena performs with a fresh Feather … 💯

0EC7E302-C3C5-41E5-8518-563A6DE57A28.jpeg

I just pulled out my Athena to try a Bic Chrome Platinum and it was perfectly smooth against the grain in this razor. Maybe the blade curvature and clamping so close to the edge really did eliminate the chatter these blades always had for me. It wasn’t harsh at all and these might become my go-to blades with the Athena and Ares since they’re so very smooth when they don’t chatter, and they’re nicely sharp. I’m quite pleased about this. It seems fitting too because they’re Greek blades.

It was also a superb shave, despite my wife walking in and messing around while I was trying to concentrate.
Lol, my wife took a spell of doing karaoke while I was shaving.
I sure can't hear an efficient razor or concentrate when that happens.

Last edited:
Lol, my wife took a spell of doing karaoke while I was shaving.
I sure can't hear an efficient razor or concentrate when that happened.
For me this time it was that I decided to shave my head as well for the first time and my wife was just standing behind me staring at the back of my head and expressing her disapproval. To be fair my head looks rather pale compared to my face now, so I get her point, but it’s just very unsettling to have that while I’m still shaving.

For me this time it was that I decided to shave my head as well for the first time and my wife was just standing behind me staring at the back of my head and expressing her disapproval. To be fair my head looks rather pale compared to my face now, so I get her point, but it’s just very unsettling to have that while I’m still shaving.
No stress there! Joking of course

I have put in my order for both…..The Athena in December and the Ares yesterday. Will see how the whole mailing process goes from here.

I have tried communicating with the Wolfman Company personnel on several occasions, without any acknowledgment whatsoever. I realize and appreciate customer service when I see it, (unfortunately hard to find sometimes), and this group has none unfortunately. At least in my books.

I just love the theme of these razors and also that handle on the Ares is so attractive. As a kid I always enjoy Greek and Roman mythology and the aesthetics. This handle reminds me of a column that held up many fine buildings of the time.

If I ever find myself fortunate enough to own an Ares then I am sure I would enjoy it. Excellent.

Are you coming to any conclusions yet about how you’d compare the Ares v2 and the Athena? Any preference emerging at this stage?

Thanks for all the pics, by the way. They all showcase the razors beautifully.
Still early days, but I was leaning more towards the Ares 2 because I had been able to get more consistent close shave's with very nice comfort and the slight amount of blade feel is not an issue for me.

However, last night’s shave with the Athena and the second use Nacet completely messed up my thinking 🤣

Still early days, but I was leaning more towards the Ares 2 because I had been able to get more consistent close shave's and the slight amount of blade feel is not an issue for me.

However, last night’s shave with the Athena and the second use Nacet completely messed up my thinking 🤣
I know exactly what you mean. You get amazingly close and efficient shaves and no irritation from the Ares, so it has to be better. Then you shave with the Athena and it gives you the same. They’re still different from each other, but I waver back and forth and I don’t know. I still think the Ares is a touch more efficient (i.e. quicker to get there) and the Athena safety bar feels a little smoother, but whenever I think I have a preference I get the most amazing shave with the other one and I don’t know again.

May have to join you gents and get both. The Athena is turning out to be a fabulous razor...and I really like the looks of the Ares 2 (but not traditionally an open comb fan). Both razors are a work of art. Is the Ares 2 a steeper shaver than the Athena? It looks like it bends the blade over more in the pictures I see. Can you confirm?
I think they are both about the same shaving angle as far as I can tell. Theo lists ‘blade angle’ for both razors, though I’m not exactly certain what that means - Athena blade angle is 35.0 degrees and Ares is 31.4 degrees. I would think this means the Athena bends the blade slightly more, but maybe someone can confirm or correct me.

I think they are both about the same shaving angle as far as I can tell. Theo lists ‘blade angle’ for both razors, though I’m not exactly certain what that means - Athena blade angle is 35.0 degrees and Ares is 31.4 degrees. I would think this means the Athena bends the blade slightly more, but maybe someone can confirm or correct me.
I obviously don't have the razor, but the Henson bends the blade 30 degrees, this is considered near or at the top of the range. I wouldn't be surprised if those were shaving angles. You can actually approximate using an angle app on your phone by simply putting the phone up against the bottom of the baseplate and zeroing it at 90 degrees. Then tip it until the blade looks like it's contacting your desk(or other surface). It's surprisingly accurate, but blade bend angle is a lot less reliable to measure.

Top Bottom