What's new

Lambda Lovers

I've used Feather blades in my Athena with fine results. They along with Wizamet, Bic CP, and Nacet are my favorites. The Athena is not an aggressive razor and I tend to prefer sharper more aggressive blades with it.
Based on the many detailed descriptions in this thread of how the Athena behaves, I suspected that sharper blades would work well in it. I wonder if KAI DE blades being slightly wider from edge to edge change the feel of the Athena by providing a very slight positive blade exposure.

I'm so looking forward to shaving with an Athena someday soon, early in 2023 I suspect. In the meantime, I'll just live vicariously through this wonderfully informative thread. Thanks to all the Athena owners for their detailed posts.

I used a Kai in my Athena and was not impressed BUT to be fair I am not a big fan of Kai, I've tried them in several different razors and just don't go back to them.

Based on the many detailed descriptions in this thread of how the Athena behaves, I suspected that sharper blades would work well in it. I wonder if KAI DE blades being slightly wider from edge to edge change the feel of the Athena by providing a very slight positive blade exposure.

I'm so looking forward to shaving with an Athena someday soon, early in 2023 I suspect. In the meantime, I'll just live vicariously through this wonderfully informative thread. Thanks to all the Athena owners for their detailed posts.
I mainly use Kai blades in my Athena (and everything else). Works great for me.

My guess would be that sharp blades would be particularly good choices in the Athena, given the curvature of the blade and the angle on the skin. But I prefer sharp blades all the time anyway, for my needs.

I ran across this YouTube video reviewing the Athena and doing a shave of a beard that looks to be at least four or five days growth. The reviewer is Greek, but he made this video in English. The Athena does an amazing job, and the reviewer agrees. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it and hope you do too.

Thank you sir!!! I like his style, and commentary;
Especially when he says, “Nice……Very nice”. Sounds like Bond….James Bond.😊👍

Last edited:
I'm very interested and want to join in but fighting the urge😫
The Greencult RAD-killer status is being challenged ;). You'll find a way Larry. Getting on the waitlist for the next lot being made near the end of this month doesn't hurt, right?

Cracking Up Lol GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I guess using the phrase "RAD killer" was a bad choice on my part🤣
And yes, I guess I can put myself on the list! Hmm🤔
The difference between your RAD and mine is that you actually SELL many, if not most, of the razors you buy ;). I buy curios in which to store them instead. My wife is justifiably afraid of being swamped by a wave of razors and shaving gear.

Last edited:
Is anyone using a plastic washer under the handle? I've used one a few times on a few of my razors but I really don't mind the mark that would or could be made on the baseplate without a washer and honestly I usually forget it's there and it goes down the sink drain when I remove the blade. So I usually don't use one.

20221201_054613.jpg

20221201_054413.jpg

In!. I got one from this last run. Makes it hard to pick up my other razors with this beauty in the lineup. Use it with feathers, gillette 7 o'clock sharp edge and super stainless, and astra's. All blades work great. Despite the lack of blade exposure, I can still manage to nick myself if rushed or not paying attention- something I havent been able to do yet with my Overlander.

Lambda Athena 1.jpg

In!. I got one from this last run. Makes it hard to pick up my other razors with this beauty in the lineup. Use it with feathers, gillette 7 o'clock sharp edge and super stainless, and astra's. All blades work great. Despite the lack of blade exposure, I can still manage to nick myself if rushed or not paying attention- something I havent been able to do yet with my Overlander.

View attachment 1568524
Thanks so much for posting this photo with a blade mounted. It is apparent that the precise dimensions of this razor must be a critical part of the experience. The blade edge is barely visible. I'm so fascinated by this machine, and I so look forward to getting one.

View attachment 1568524
I agree, and I find that a key difference between these razors and how I choose which to use. The Overlander is more foolproof, for me. I can overbuff and be careless with it and not irritate my skin whatever I do.

I can also easily get completely irritation-free shaves with my Athena but not if I shave like an idiot. Still, the Athena is much safer than most razors and I have been confident to use it to shave an hour before an important meeting when I can’t have nicks or reddened skin, and I still want a BBS shave. But that is after some familiarity and practice with the Athena and I need to pay attention and not rush, whereas with the Overlander I could get away with more.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have a Kai installed in my Overlander. I'm going to give it another try this afternoon. I don't get it... I haven't gotten a smooth shave from it yet but others, who have other razors in common with me, along with the Overlander, swear by it... I have been swearing at it... I hope this changes for me.

Edit: I did buy it used... I have given it a look over... blade exposure is the same, side to side.. I can't see any manufacturing defects... but it didn't work out for the guy who sold it to me. I haven't noticed any razor to razor discrepancies here on B&B. Most people talk about it providing a mindless shave.. automatic... foolproof... It gives this fool problems.

I have a Kai installed in my Overlander. I'm going to give it another try this afternoon. I don't get it... I haven't gotten a smooth shave from it yet but others, who have other razors in common with me, along with the Overlander, swear by it... I have been swearing at it... I hope this changes for me.

Edit: I did buy it used... I have given it a look over... blade exposure is the same, side to side.. I can't see any manufacturing defects... but it didn't work out for the guy who sold it to me. I haven't noticed any razor to razor discrepancies here on B&B. Most people talk about it providing a mindless shave.. automatic... foolproof... It gives this fool problems.
I can’t imagine there could be any issue with your Overlander. I’ve never heard of a defect on a Karve. Good luck with the shave and I hope you get the upper hand over your nemeses (Overlander and Kai) this time.

I decided to shave just now with the greatest razor ever made (I won’t say what it is, but it has an ivory plastic knob), hoping it would be a good omen for you. It was perfection, so even if you die in a bloodbath, on average our shaves will have been ok.

I didn't like Kai blades for some reason. I think I tried them before I had the Athena....but they didn't fit my Tatara Maramasa razor. Too many other great options.

Top Bottom