What's new

Lambda Athena

First outing with the Athena went as well this could possibly be expected. Angle was natural, comfort was as good as it gets - think ASD2 comfort but with much better efficiency…

How???

This could be a daily shavers best friend

First impressions strong, and very noteworthy, more to come ….

View attachment 1594692
Super photo, and it’s great to hear the first shave was so good. It took me a few shaves to refine my angle and maximise the results from the Athena, but that doesn’t mean you haven’t already. I learned to go a bit shallower than I started with, and the best angle for me was where the razor feedback was loudest. It’s an efficient razor for sure.

Did you remember to rinse the head under the faucet so you can see the water shooting from the sides?

The Ares will be interesting for you. I think that’s even more efficient and it surprises me how it leaves my skin feeling as good as the Athena does. I think the Ares has an even smaller blade gap than the Athena (0.30mm vs 0.43mm) but then it’s open comb so half of the blade edge has infinite blade gap.

The Bronze Alloy used by Timeless for their .78 and .38 razors is also a high aluminum bronze alloy. I wonder how close they are in composition. In any case, it gives that wonderful golden color.
The colour of the Timeless bronze is different. The Lambda is quite a bit paler. The Wolfman C954 Bronze is a similar colour to the Lambda. I believe both Lambda and Wolfman use Aluminium Nickel Bronze alloys, which are commonly used for marine applications, but I don’t know exactly what the Timeless bronze alloy is.

That is the entirety of my metallurgy ‘knowledge’, right there.

Beautiful. What material are the finger inlays?

Super photo, and it’s great to hear the first shave was so good. It took me a few shaves to refine my angle and maximise the results from the Athena, but that doesn’t mean you haven’t already. I learned to go a bit shallower than I started with, and the best angle for me was where the razor feedback was loudest. It’s an efficient razor for sure.

Did you remember to rinse the head under the faucet so you can see the water shooting from the sides?

The Ares will be interesting for you. I think that’s even more efficient and it surprises me how it leaves my skin feeling as good as the Athena does. I think the Ares has an even smaller blade gap than the Athena (0.30mm vs 0.43mm) but then it’s open comb so half of the blade edge has infinite blade gap.

Thank you, and yes I’m sure there will be some learning curve as there always is with a new razor.

And yes, I did figure out the auditory part and how it announced the optimal angle!

And yes, I did run it under the faucet , and saw the rivers of water gushing out the sides 🙌

Very much looking forward to the Ares V2 - anything that offers similar comfort and more efficiency will be a big hit with me.

Interestingly, the weight was no issue for me as I have been using the Rocnel Saylor almost exclusively for the last three months. What a great complement to the Sailor the Athena is.

Appreciate your thoughts on these two razors and others @Mr. Shavington

Last edited:
Shave #2 -

same result, superb comfort and efficiency. Blade was third use Personna Red

36203C54-1C24-4514-BF87-DEEED55AEC9E.jpeg

@Mr. Shavington and everyone else that has contributed to this thread - you are a bad influence!

Less than a month into DE shaving and reading this thread has convinced me to add my name to the waiting list for a Lambda Athena. I put my name on the list last week and now can't wait until the next batch is released.

The confirmation e-mail confirms I'm on the list for the '23 batch - as expected the wait list for the last batch of '22 batch is now closed.

I know I could e-mail Lambda but don't want to hassle them unneccesarily so thought I'd check here first - does anyone have an ETA for the next '23 batch?

@Mr. Shavington and everyone else that has contributed to this thread - you are a bad influence!

Less than a month into DE shaving and reading this thread has convinced me to add my name to the waiting list for a Lambda Athena. I put my name on the list last week and now can't wait until the next batch is released.

The confirmation e-mail confirms I'm on the list for the '23 batch - as expected the wait list for the last batch of '22 batch is now closed.

I know I could e-mail Lambda but don't want to hassle them unneccesarily so thought I'd check here first - does anyone have an ETA for the next '23 batch?
@Phoenixkh is signed up for the first 2023 batch and has been in contact with Theo, so he may have some idea. If not, Theo has generally been releasing new batches about every three months - he tries for two months but they’ve always been delayed a few weeks and there’s a lot of polishing work needed, as well as lining all the boxes.

I’d guess late March or early April.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
@Phoenixkh is signed up for the first 2023 batch and has been in contact with Theo, so he may have some idea. If not, Theo has generally been releasing new batches about every three months - he tries for two months but they’ve always been delayed a few weeks and there’s a lot of polishing work needed, as well as lining all the boxes.

Crossed posts.

Theo told me they should be ready at the end of March. @Mr. Shavington told me, Theo tends to miss the date by a week or two so I'm expecting the second week of April, just to be safe.
Thanks very much to you both :thumbup:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
In my email just now, I noticed this...

1674855074392.png

As you'll see below, I am on the waiting list for the 2023 production batch. However, I've been told in another email I am almost certain to receive a new Athena from the final 2022 batch which looks like it will be released before too long. (Exactly when? I have no idea.)

1674855327952.png

When I was first put on the 2023 waiting list I was #5 on that list. Apparently, I've moved up on the list.

In any case, I already have one Athena so I'm not in a huge rush.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom