What's new

Lambda Athena

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
That's one of the interesting things about comparing our shaves using the same razors and/or blades. I do get a 12 hour shave from my Athena when it sings to me as I shave. I don't really pay attention to the angle, truth be told. I start steep and raise the handle until I hear the Athena break out into song. I'd guess, I adjust the angle depending on which pass I'm on, but I'd have to pay attention, which isn't all that likely. I sort of get lost in the shave and forget to notice stuff like that.

I did another shave today. 3 passes (wtg,xtg,atg), some touchups until a full BBS was rechead... I strictly focused on the shaving angle and went steep on the left side of my face and shallow on the right side. 10 hours later, I couldn't hardly notice any difference on both halves of my face. The regrowth is there on both sides, so I'll shave tomorrow again.

I asked Mrs JAHE to touch my face (😎), she neither could detect a side which felt less "scatchy".

If I had done the very same prosedure (three passes plus touch-ups) with my Blackbird/R41/Wolfman I likely couldn't justify a Sunday shave. I likely wouldn't need one 😉

But again, that's not an argument made against the Athena from my end... it's just my experience.

20230603_114426-01-01.jpeg

Have a sunny Saturday, Guys!

Last edited:
I did another shave today. 3 passes (wtg,xtg,atg), some touchups until a full BBS was rechead... I strictly focused on the shaving angle and went steep on the left side of my face and shallow on the right side. 10 hours later, I couldn't hardly notice any difference on both halves of my face. The regrowth is there on both sides, so I'll shave tomorrow again.

I asked Mrs JAHE to touch my face (😎), she neither could detect a side which felt less "scatchy".

If I had done the very same prosedure (three passes plus touch-ups) with my Blackbird/R41/Wolfman I likely couldn't justify a Sunday shave. I likely wouldn't need one 😉

But again, that's not an argument made against the Athena from my end... it's just my experience.

View attachment 1665058

Have a sunny Saturday, Guys!
Nicely done JAHE!👍😊💈

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20230603
Razor: Lambda Athena (TiBam Radiator Titanium Handle)
Blade: Feather (1)
Brush: AP Shave Co Lemon Drop (@apshaveco 24mm G5C Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Cyril R Salter Solid Shaving Soap
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve
Balm: Nivea Sensitive Cool
20230603_113655~2.jpg

The Athena certainly provides wonderful shaves, but I get my longest lasting shaves from my AC blade razors - the Vectors and The General V2.

Please visit my Journal (link below) for shave notes and musings: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-12267769

My Athena was starting to develop quite noticeable patina after a month of nearly every day use. I know that many would consider this a good thing - but having spent so long in the military, I seem to have have a pathological need to polish brass.....

So, out came the Cape Cod, a cotton bud (q-tip?) and a microfibre cloth and 45 minutes later, the Athena was as shiny as when I received it. All is now well with my OCD.

Actually, I found it quite interesting - discovering a little more of how Theo has designed and manufactured the razor by paying close attention to cleaning the more difficult to reach parts.

No point in posting any pictures - to the camera it looked the same before and after but to the naked eye the difference was marked.

Anyway, not the most interesting of posts but maybe for some!

I noticed just the tiniest bit of patina on the edge of my Athena. I used it for 14 shaves, then put it away. Very tiny, but wondering if others have noticed anything.

If it is going to patina, and if it doesn't bother me too much, is it a good strategy to let it patina? Does that oxidization essentially seal in the rest, like Aluminum, or are there different concerns?

Jason, what is actually the razor behind the Athena? Gold and solid bar - but not a Tech. The one to the right of that looks similar in silver/nickel.

Thanks,

Guido

In that picture

IMG_20230604_174144499_HDR.jpg

Back left to right
Yaqi Bohemian, Grand Shave King, PAA Meta-4 Brass, PAA Meta-4 Stainless, NEW long comb
(I like the Meta-4 so much I got it in Brass too when it came out. Also, the Meta-4 top cap on a prewar tech is amazing 😍. Going to try it on other techs too)

Front left to right
PAA Cu Ascension, Lambda Athena, Yaqi Harlequin, #162 Good will top cap I just used on the Harlequin bottom plate.

My Athena was starting to develop quite noticeable patina after a month of nearly every day use. I know that many would consider this a good thing - but having spent so long in the military, I seem to have have a pathological need to polish brass.....

So, out came the Cape Cod, a cotton bud (q-tip?) and a microfibre cloth and 45 minutes later, the Athena was as shiny as when I received it. All is now well with my OCD.

Actually, I found it quite interesting - discovering a little more of how Theo has designed and manufactured the razor by paying close attention to cleaning the more difficult to reach parts.

No point in posting any pictures - to the camera it looked the same before and after but to the naked eye the difference was marked.

Anyway, not the most interesting of posts but maybe for some!
This may sound silly but I to have noticed some patina here and there. My question is I have Flitz as well as Cape Cod clothes coming tomorrow, what is the best to get rid of this patina? I know and read its quite easy but I am being careful as I really like this razor and don't want to do anything to ruin it.

Top Bottom