What's new

Lambda Athena

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
What is the diameter of the Ares handle?

I looked on the Llambda website, but couldn't find its measurements listed.

To me, the Athena handle is "too long" in terms of my usual preferences, but plenty fat which fits my usual preferences. In actual use, in my hand, the Athena handle is great. I like it very much.

I fear I wouldn't like the Ares because of a "too skinny" handle but I don't even know its diameter.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

Agreed.
Ive held my tongue on what I think of the OG Athena handle and have
no plans to reverse now.
But this picture says it all positively.
I wish he would allow the option of picking Athena with the Column.
But obviously he won't....because "Im an artisan".
Honestly I like the handles with their intended heads. It is also fine to change the handle if you like, and Wolfman bronze handles are a very close colour match too. But overall I think both razors look most harmonious using the handles they were designed with. That’s a personal view, and I’ll admit it also took me some time to come around to the style of the Athena - it wasn’t an instant love for me but I do love it now I’m accustomed to it.

The Ares handle has a bit less grip than the Athena handle. It can be slippery if you get soap on it. But the button at the end helps a lot to hold it securely.

I’ve seen more than a few people complaining about the look of the Ares handle because they say it resembles a Fatip too much. I guess you can’t please everyone no matter what you do.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Here's what the Athena looks like mounted on a Bronze Wolfman WRH 3/7 (Hollow) with its base:

RE_Athena_WRH3_7.jpg

Erste Rasur mit der Athena (technisch 2., aber die erste am Freitag war für mich eine Katastrophe) mit einer Astra-Klinge.

Zweieinhalb Durchgänge damit und ich bin BBS, keine Kerben, Weiner usw. Es ist definitiv effizient und hat ein anständiges Klingengefühl. Ich würde sagen, es ist vergleichbar mit einer Karve "D"-Platte und sogar meiner Timeless .95 SS.

Ich liebe es, es unter dem Wasserhahn laufen zu lassen und zuzusehen, wie das Wasser aus den Seiten schießt!
Welche Klinge benutzen Die jetzt ?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
This sort of an update. Our cat sitter has been getting our mail but she’ll be away for a week so I emailed Theo and asked him not ship my 23-019 razor until after April 19th.

He didn’t mention any other date and I didn’t ask. We can all guess, though. We could start a betting pool. <ev>

I got a reply email from Theo today, I checked in hoping I had not missed the Athena invoice emails for this latest batch. He said they'd be sending those out in a few days, that some issues with the cases caused some delays but they are about to go out.

Exciting!!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Wow, that looks fantastic! I think that's my favorite style of WR handle I've seen photos of here. Are you using this or the Crown with the Athena these days? When you are in town, that is :) Hope your trip is going well so far!
I tried the Wolfman 3/7 bronze handle on the Athena but I ended up putting the Athena handle back on. It seems to work better for me.

Nice to all the above! I emailed Theo last week about the invoices and said I didn't miss anything to I figured I would check, I even checked my folders, spam and such just to make sure so I am quite glad to hear this.

I am really looking forward to this razor tbh, this and the Wolfman, the stat nerd, razor nerd in me are really interested in these (the Ares as well of course) because of the specs on them and the results you get, based on all the feedback is not typical with razors so for me I am rubbing my hands. :001_smile

Last edited:
Everyday I keep checking, no word yet. I assume I am not the only one waiting, checking to make sure they don't miss the email.
I’ve been there. Don’t worry. It probably takes Theo a week or two to contact all of the buyers and confirm their orders. He will be selling 100 or 150 razors, all at once, to customers who have reserved them. You can trust that he will get to you, but you may need to be a little patient. Obviously if people are emailing him for updates as well it will take longer for him to reach all his customers.

I’ve been there. Don’t worry. It probably takes Theo a week or two to contact all of the buyers and confirm their orders. He will be selling 100 or 150 razors, all at once, to customers who have reserved them. You can trust that he will get to you, but you may need to be a little patient. Obviously if people are emailing him for updates as well it will take longer for him to reach all his customers.
No I am not worried, I know he mentioned about the boxes taking longer, that was back in April 3, I didn't reach out since then because I figured he was busy with orders. I also figured if anyone heard anything or got an email they would post it here as well, which would help. I have my numbers all reserved for the Athena and Ares so I am just waiting. I just don't want anything to go into spam, none of his emails have thus far but emails can be funny so its all good. I got enough to do of course like look at more razors such as this Karve Overlander in Brass :straight:, a brush perhaps so this forum has a way of doing that. Good times! :cool:

No I am not worried, I know he mentioned about the boxes taking longer, that was back in April 3, I didn't reach out since then because I figured he was busy with orders. I also figured if anyone heard anything or got an email they would post it here as well, which would help. I have my numbers all reserved for the Athena and Ares so I am just waiting. I just don't want anything to go into spam, none of his emails have thus far but emails can be funny so its all good. I got enough to do of course like look at more razors such as this Karve Overlander in Brass :straight:, a brush perhaps so this forum has a way of doing that. Good times! :cool:
I became almost clairvoyant at predicting Lambda shipping dates. There was a pattern - Theo would tell people a date which he is aiming to achieve; the razor polishing and box finishing always took two weeks longer than Theo was trying for; then it took two weeks to contact all the customers, get responses, and take payment. Then he goes to the post office with 150 wrapped boxes.

All of which tells me that Theo is as excited and eager to get these shipped as his customers are. But what he thinks he can get done in his head is always faster than what he can do in the physical reality we all inhabit.

I find it exciting too, that every three months we get this anticipation and then photos and reviews of the razors when they start to arrive. It is the most fun part of the thread because most buyers have loved their razors.

I became almost clairvoyant at predicting Lambda shipping dates. There was a pattern - Theo would tell people a date which he is aiming to achieve; the razor polishing and box finishing always took two weeks longer than Theo was trying for; then it took two weeks to contact all the customers, get responses, and take payment. Then he goes to the post office with 150 wrapped boxes.

All of which tells me that Theo is as excited and eager to get these shipped as his customers are. But what he thinks he can get done in his head is always faster than what he can do in the physical reality we all inhabit.

I find it exciting too, that every three months we get this anticipation and then photos and reviews of the razors when they start to arrive. It is the most fun part of the thread because most buyers have loved their razors.
This better be a good razor or I am blaming you! Rofl I am just kidding..... :001_rolle sort of..... no I am kidding of course. :001_smile

As I have stated many times, the spec nerd stat numbers person in me is really intrigued by this razor, Ares and Wolfman because of the specs vs results. It's really fun to me. Then also of course the look and quality of the razor. Just adding to the collection, would add a few more if say they weren't out of stock but its ok, there is time with time you know actually try what you buy. :cool:

This better be a good razor or I am blaming you! Rofl I am just kidding..... :001_rolle sort of..... no I am kidding of course. :001_smile

As I have stated many times, the spec nerd stat numbers person in me is really intrigued by this razor, Ares and Wolfman because of the specs vs results. It's really fun to me. Then also of course the look and quality of the razor. Just adding to the collection, would add a few more if say they weren't out of stock but its ok, there is time with time you know actually try what you buy. :cool:
It’s a superb razor. I agree it’s fascinating that it works like it does with zero blade exposure and only 0.3mm gap, but rest assured it is efficient - and more gentle due to this design which doesn’t require blade exposure. It took me a few shaves to optimise the angle and get the most efficiency, but if you listen to the blade you’ll have no trouble finding it. In any case I’ve never had a sub-par shave with either of my Lambdas.

It’s a superb razor. I agree it’s fascinating that it works like it does with zero blade exposure and only 0.3mm gap, but rest assured it is efficient - and more gentle due to this design which doesn’t require blade exposure. It took me a few shaves to optimise the angle and get the most efficiency, but if you listen to the blade you’ll have no trouble finding it. In any case I’ve never had a sub-par shave with either of my Lambdas.
Theo... cough cough I mean @Mr. Shavington yes without your feedback and this site I would have never found out about this razor. If say I just saw the specs straight up without doing any research I would have passed on the razor thinking "Yea it looks nice but way too mild for me" like what is the point of it? I will ask you this, I usually shave with music on as that is what I like to do but when you say "if you listen to the blade you'll have no trouble finding it" do you mean the audible feedback or the feel of the blade as you shave? I would imagine it will take a few shaves to optimize but optimize I will.

Theo... cough cough I mean @Mr. Shavington yes without your feedback and this site I would have never found out about this razor. If say I just saw the specs straight up without doing any research I would have passed on the razor thinking "Yea it looks nice but way too mild for me" like what is the point of it? I will ask you this, I usually shave with music on as that is what I like to do but when you say "if you listen to the blade you'll have no trouble finding it" do you mean the audible feedback or the feel of the blade as you shave? I would imagine it will take a few shaves to optimize but optimize I will.
You can feel the blade cutting too, but with this razor most of the feedback by far is the sound. You should definitely try it with the music off, at least a couple of times as you learn the razor.

One of the interesting things is that most reviews of the Athena I’ve read report that there is significant blade feel. There isn’t, and there can’t be. I think it’s just that the brain misinterprets sound as if it was blade on the skin. the razor is quite loud and resonant, with a rather pleasant baritone. I think this is to do with the water channels inside the head, which I think also create a resonating chamber and amplify the sound. It’s something I think you’ll enjoy experiencing. The Ares is similar - it makes you feel like it isn’t a mild razor, because there is such strong feedback, but then you’re surprised after the shave that your skin is not at all raw. It’s because the feedback was sound, not actually blade feel.

You could ask @Chan Eil Whiskers what feedback he perceives from his Athena as he wears a hearing aid and usually takes it out for shaving. So he knows how the razor feels with and without sound.

There are several other nice benefits we’ve discovered from using the Athena over time. The side water channels are cool, shooting water so efficiently out of the razor head when you rinse the razor under a running tap. But the water channels also retain some of the water after rinsing, which trickles out when you shave. This keeps your lather moist and slick and it definitely is a useful feature (whether intended or not). It took us a few months of use and talking here about the razor before we figured out this was also happening.

Last edited:
Top Bottom