What's new

Lambda Athena

I don’t have a great amount of experience, but comparing it to the Karve plates I’ve used, I think I’d call it SB B+ or C- for feel. A C+ for efficiency. It’s a pretty quiet razor as well, to me.

Shave No. 2

I wish the handle had more going on, for the sake of grip. The bulge towards the head is nice, but maybe the matte sections need some knurling or something. The knob at the bottom is really nice for ATG, though.

This is a two pass razor for me, I just need to shave a bit cleaner, I guess. Not perfect for me, but pretty dang close. 8/10

Shave No. 2

I wish the handle had more going on, for the sake of grip. The bulge towards the head is nice, but maybe the matte sections need some knurling or something. The knob at the bottom is really nice for ATG, though.

This is a two pass razor for me, I just need to shave a bit cleaner, I guess. Not perfect for me, but pretty dang close. 8/10
I agree the grip could be improved. And you’re right, the handle has a nice girth where the grip is. Glad you are enjoying the razor and it sounds like you also find the efficiency very good despite it being a mild razor with zero blade exposure. I do three passes with it (as I do with even my highest efficiency razors) but I do find that two passes gets me pretty much there with the Athena.

I still smile every time I rinse the razor head under the tap. Are you enjoying that?

Loved your great pics, by the way.

From The Razor Company listing:

Lambda Athena - Polished Bronze Alloy Safety Razor - COMING SOON - $229

From Lambda:
This razor is not a mass-produced industrial product, but a product that started as an idea which finally, after many months of effort and aided by my experience in CNC machining, became a reality in a limited number of pieces. I also hope it meets your shaving needs. After the first model called “Ares” which was an aggressive
Open Comb razor, I am happy to provide you with the latest model called “Athena” which is Closed Comb and something totally different in terms of design and geometry.

A great effort was made in the design part, long before the construction of the first prototype began, in order to meet the following conditions:
1. Highly effective but at the same time skin friendly and very smooth.
2. Zero blade chattering which usually ensures less irritation and “accidents”.

The razor is made entirely on CNC machines, which increases the manufacturing cost, but improves the accuracy and repeatability of its dimensions and tolerances.
The construction material is a special bronze alloy (almost three times the cost of 316L stainless steel) that contains copper, aluminum, nickel and iron. It is a material used in marine applications and has high corrosion resistance. The polishing of the razor, of course, was done by hand and thus achieved this extraordinary result that resembles gold. The wooden case is also made on CNC machines from solid African mahogany (Khaya). It is a very solid and hard wood with excellent dimensional stability and resistance to rot. The “hinges” are made of bronze, while it is covered inside by a special fabric.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Head weight: 29.8 gr Βlade exposure: 0mm
Handle weight: 82,7 gr Βlade gap: 0.43mm
Razor length: 102mm Βlade angle: 35deg
Handle length: 95mm Clamp distance: 1.80mm

MAINTENANCE INSTRUCTIONS

We suggest the following steps to maintain the characteristics and functionality of the “Lambda Athena” safety razor:
1. After each shave the razor should be disassembled, the blade removed and stored on its paper.
2. The individual parts of the shaver should be washed by hand using hand soap to remove any residue usually left by shaving soaps and creams.
3. Every part should then be rinsed thoroughly.
4. Next you should dry the parts very well with a soft towel so that no moisture or water stains remain on them.
5. Finally, the machine is reassembled and placed in its wooden case.

Following the above steps, the gloss of the razor will be maintained for a very long time. However, because the construction material of the machine is bronze (even of top quality), there is a case after many shaves to appear blur in some parts of the machine. This is a natural “defense” mechanism of this material, which by creates a surface “patina” ensuring the protection of the underlying material. However, because of aesthetic reasons, this is often unacceptable, we suggest the following: We take a small amount of toothpaste in our hand and mix it with a little water. After we have disassembled the machine, we apply and rub it by hand on the entire surface of the parts. Leave the components for 5-10 minutes and then rinse the parts with water to remove any toothpaste residue. The machine will regain the shine it originally had! If the result of the above process is not satisfactory enough, the best solution to return the razor to its original state and finish is to take it to a goldsmith, who at a minimal cost will be able to professionally polish it and give it the perfect result.

First shave in with the Athena (technically 2nd but the first on Friday was a disaster due to me), using an Astra blade.

Two and a half passes with it and I'm BBS, no nicks, weepers, etc. It is definitely efficient and does have a decent amount of blade feel. I would say it is comparable to a Karve "D" plate and even my Timeless .95 SS.

Love running it under the faucett after and watching the water shoot out of the sides!

The Razor Company had 15 that they released at noon today. They sold out in about 5 or 6 minutes. But I got mine! :) Used my $3 in rewards points too. LoL

Screenshot 2022-07-07 12.17.33 PM.png

Mr Shavington.... you sure started something. I'm so glad I'm stuck on the AC razor train. <eg>
Yeah, your razor blades won’t fit in this so it wouldn’t work for you.

I must say I am enjoying my Stando Polska ‘Single Edge’ razor, though (the steel one). And the handle I chose is very groovy indeed. The bronze one is the Stando ‘Rod’ and I don’t like it quite as much for my tastes - the ‘Single Edge’ is a good deal more efficient and not really much less mild feeling.

3C0591D9-FF2D-4A24-AEA2-1FC199558010.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom