What's new

Lambda Athena

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I decided the Athena is one razor that requires a backup, so I had Theo add me to the list for the next release or the subsequent one... whenever my name gets to the top.

I don't do this very often but the Athena is so good, I didn't even try to fight off the urge.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
12-26-22.Lambda-in-box.CSS.ChubbyScribbyIvory.640.JPG

Link to my notes for today's shave which was leisurely and very good.

Happy 2nd day of Christmas and Happy Shaves,

Jim

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
why?
are you afraid you might lose your only copy? or perhaps you fear damage from use, or corrosion?

are these real concerns? seems like a razor, made from quality materials like the Athena, should last the rest of one’s lifetime. am I mistaken?
I already stated the reason behind the backup... .We have two sons... I'd like each one to get one when I die... It's that simple.

But I did post that in another thread so it's a legit question.... but that's my reason.

OMG, I shaved with the Ares v2 today, Wow instantly the 2nd best shave I had all year!!!!!! Such a great razor, just as smooth as the Athena (i give the narrow edge to Athena in smoothness) but more efficient. It took off 3 days stubble in 1 pass. Man, Theos knows what he is doing. Definitely my razor artisan of the year. I consider myself lucky to have both his razors. There are so damn beautiful too. I have to blow dry the water off the razors. This handle is my favorite, reminds me of the Greek columns. Work of functional art. Cheers everyone and enjoy Xmas with your loved ones.
So excellent......!! I'm on the next waitlist along with the others too, for both razors....!

I just had my second shave with the Athena and the results are much better than the first try. A fantastic BBS without any irretation, cuts or nick just like I want it. The only thing, which I'm not a huge fan of is the angle that it requires to achieve those excellent results.

It feels like I have to drag the razor across my face to get the job done, which isn't necessary a bad thing, but I enjoy very steep razors in general and I've noticed that a lot of modern high end razors are following similar pattern, which is kinda disappointing for me and the rest of the steep angle lovers.

All in all I'm pleased with the Athena and maybe I will enjoy it even more at some point.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
BOSC.2.Sacrificies For Science.jpg

I've weighed the various parts of the Lambda Athena.
  • Handle 88.2 - 88.3 grams.
  • Cap 12.0 - 12.1 grams.
  • Baseplate 18.7 - 18.8 grams.
My kitchen scales were misbehaving a bit, but are pretty accurate.

12-12-22.Lambda.Athena.640.JPG

I measured the handle with my calipers.
  • Handle length 95 mm.
  • Handle diameter at the fattest part 14 - 15 mm
The diameter varies depending on how/where it is measured. The handle is not round.

Enablers R Us employee of the month.jpg

I hope this information is helpful to you.

I work hard to win this award month after month.

Happy shaves,

Jim

View attachment 1570231

That's why God invented the ultrasonic cleaner. For more on mine and my use of it, see this post and the few following it.

Probably the same can be done with sufficient soaking in Dawn, but I've not tried it.

I'm getting the drift that the Athena doesn't require any special treatment which confirms my existing point of view and mode of operation.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I got one of those a few days ago. Do you use the basket with razors? Do you clean with just water or are you putting any kind of cleaner in there? How long do you clean? Thanks.

Last edited:
I got one of those a few days ago. Do you use the basket with razors? Do you clean with just water or are you putting any kind of cleaner in there? How long do you clean? Thanks.
I use the basket, hot water from the tap, and a few drops of Dawn. This works very well on any light dirt or soap scum for me. For any "new" razor, this has been enough to keep it clean.

I also have an "industrial" machine (still rather small) that includes a heating element. When I have a very crusty all metal razor, I use an very heavy duty degreasing agent in a higher concentration, and I heat the water to 70 C (158 F), and I hit it for at least thirty minutes. For some more delicate razors, I'll use the same machine but only heat the water to 50 C (122 F).

I just had my second shave with the Athena and the results are much better than the first try. A fantastic BBS without any irretation, cuts or nick just like I want it. The only thing, which I'm not a huge fan of is the angle that it requires to achieve those excellent results.

It feels like I have to drag the razor across my face to get the job done, which isn't necessary a bad thing, but I enjoy very steep razors in general and I've noticed that a lot of modern high end razors are following similar pattern, which is kinda disappointing for me and the rest of the steep angle lovers.

All in all I'm pleased with the Athena and maybe I will enjoy it even more at some point.
Thanks a lot. I am a dedicated shallow-angle shaver who was looking for an excuse to not buy this razor when my name comes up on the wait list.

This post just makes me want the razor more! 😡

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

I use the basket, hot water from the tap, and a few drops of Dawn. This works very well on any light dirt or soap scum for me. For any "new" razor, this has been enough to keep it clean.

That's what I do, too.

I used that method to free up the insides of a stuck on one setting Gillette Executive adjustable.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Got an email today that I could choose my serial number for my upcoming Athena razor. Pretty cool option. Looking forward to joining the Athena club.
What‘s the range of numbers? Would be interesting to know how many are made including this batch, and how many are in the batch. Is it 201-250, or something like that?

Top Bottom