What's new

Lambda Ares V2

Well after a long search, many hours spent, many hours thinking, many hours of contemplating, I wanted to add to my modern collection of razors (don't have many, which is ok, all of this is RAD's fault), the vintages sucked me back in, per the norm and so where RAD was really going rampant yesterday, I decided to do a slow down, make a list (ie be methodical instead of compulsive) and see what looked good out there.

Per the feed back here and wanting a modern open comb (I could add more vintage open comb to I have some in mind but we shall see), something I don't have yet, I decided to add myself to the list for razors. Whehter I go thru with it when it comes up or not is up to me as I have time however this seems to be a great razor. I have tried to be more disciplined so we shall see since it it a waiting list, gives me time but this looks to tick the boxes of a great modern open comb.
Yes, I believe it’s genuinely a great modern open comb razor. These days I don’t think a lot about whether a razor is open or closed comb, because it’s only the overall razor performance and feel that matters to me, so I hadn’t really considered how the Ares v2 compares to other open comb razors until reading your post. I can say for me it is certainly the best open comb razor I have used, and by a wide margin. It’s highly efficient, but also extremely gentle, and it offers very satisfying feedback. I can’t think of another open comb razor that comes close for me - particularly the gentleness on my skin, which I haven’t encountered like this with any other high efficiency open comb razor.

Sounds as though you might like the Ares a lot, and it would be very different to what you have, and interesting for you. To get one new it’s best to reserve one via Lambda’s website. You don’t need to confirm the order or pay anything until your razor is available and Theo contacts you. And you can pass on it if you don’t wish to proceed.

Yes, I believe it’s genuinely a great modern open comb razor. These days I don’t think a lot about whether a razor is open or closed comb, because it’s only the overall razor performance and feel that matters to me, so I hadn’t really considered how the Ares v2 compares to other open comb razors until reading your post. I can say for me it is certainly the best open comb razor I have used, and by a wide margin. It’s highly efficient, but also extremely gentle, and it offers very satisfying feedback. I can’t think of another open comb razor that comes close for me - particularly the gentleness on my skin, which I haven’t encountered like this with any other high efficiency open comb razor.

Sounds as though you might like the Ares a lot, and it would be very different to what you have, and interesting for you. To get one new it’s best to reserve one via Lambda’s website. You don’t need to confirm the order or pay anything until your razor is available and Theo contacts you. And you can pass on it if you don’t wish to proceed.

Yes for me I have less and less been thinking about the open comb vs closed comb myself because all the razors I have, I have shaved with them on 1 week to 10 days growth and have had no issues, I know the razors I have are capable of it even though most of them are solid bar/closed comb except for the New LCs and SCs (which I do like for their nimbleness) again something different to all the solid bars I have. I have even used one with over 2 weeks growth, no trimmer, beard busted, no problems, even better than a R41 (R41 was tugging on me, the other razor was not, but that was way earlier in my wet shaving journey, i am 7 months in so I was really careful when using that one where now I would be way more comfortable with it), both razors had brand new Kai blades in them as well, side by side comparsion test but I don't intend to go that long without shaving as I want to get 3-4 days for now and even down to 2-3, just depends on me, how I feel and such.

I did reserve one via the website based on everything that was said. I did think about if I didn't want to proceed and or if I try it, don't like it, how it would resell since its so popular I don't see alot of downside to it and as you well said, to me it is something different that I don't have and would add something to different to my collection.

Yes for me I have less and less been thinking about the open comb vs closed comb myself because all the razors I have, I have shaved with them on 1 week to 10 days growth and have had no issues, I know the razors I have are capable of it even though most of them are solid bar/closed comb except for the New LCs and SCs (which I do like for their nimbleness) again something different to all the solid bars I have. I have even used one with over 2 weeks growth, no trimmer, beard busted, no problems, even better than a R41 (R41 was tugging on me, the other razor was not, but that was way earlier in my wet shaving journey, i am 7 months in so I was really careful when using that one where now I would be way more comfortable with it), both razors had brand new Kai blades in them as well, side by side comparsion test but I don't intend to go that long without shaving as I want to get 3-4 days for now and even down to 2-3, just depends on me, how I feel and such.

I did reserve one via the website based on everything that was said. I did think about if I didn't want to proceed and or if I try it, don't like it, how it would resell since its so popular I don't see alot of downside to it and as you well said, to me it is something different that I don't have and would add something to different to my collection.
There is no way you would want to sell the Ares. Based on everything you say about the razors you’ve used you will love the Ares. Fingers crossed you’ll get one of the next batch in about a month. He seems to produce 50 Ares v2s in each batch and recent reports from people who reserved one and spoke to Theo there may be enough for all the orders.

This thread on the Ares has been relatively quiet compared to the Athena thread. Sascoman likes his but then his WR3 arrived. Haven't seen his Ares since. I'll probably follow through on purchasing when my name comes up, but knowing there will be a WR4 this Summer might change things. I don't have much for OC. I'm using a Karve OC this week that has monster sized combs. The other OC that I've admired from afar and not purchased is the Blackland Tradere.

There is no way you would want to sell the Ares. Based on everything you say about the razors you’ve used you will love the Ares. Fingers crossed you’ll get one of the next batch in about a month. He seems to produce 50 Ares v2s in each batch and recent reports from people who reserved one and spoke to Theo there may be enough for all the orders.

Yes I agree with you here honestly. It felt weird but like after going thru my list, sites and reviews, that just came to be today and felt the way to go. We shall see of course. Not to bring up other razors in this thread but I did see your feedback on another razor, high end, quite high, as well that I have my eye on, which was quite helpful on top of other feedback I got on it so want to give you props on that as well. I am glad I did not purchase some of the open combs I was looking at and this one fell into my lap, the serial number, that you can request to pick one to is also super cool so I hope I can get one I there I want meaning the serial number.

Its kind of why I was glad I fell into the vintage hole ie the Gillette vintage hole, although also a lot of time, work, that one I was more sure of what I wanted. With the moderns, someone asked me "Why haven't you got into those yet?" and that's what started me joining here a few weeks ago even though I have been reading pretty much since I started my wet shaving journey. I always felt "the moderns will always be there" so I am glad I waited when I got more experience, but again so many options so its been all good.

This thread on the Ares has been relatively quiet compared to the Athena thread. Sascoman likes his but then his WR3 arrived. Haven't seen his Ares since. I'll probably follow through on purchasing when my name comes up, but knowing there will be a WR4 this Summer might change things. I don't have much for OC. I'm using a Karve OC this week that has monster sized combs. The other OC that I've admired from afar and not purchased is the Blackland Tradere.

For me, I am firmly into the double edged for now, only 7 months in so I won't be doing any single edge or ac myself personally. I thought about getting the Karve OC, believe me its been on my list as you can change combs, well reviewed and such but for me I was like I could get brass or stainless steel, I already have that so maybe look at something different. That has been my thought process and trying to grab more quality over quantity with the moderns.

I am on the Athena waitlist and recently got an invitation to buy one of the 2023 batch. I almost pulled the trigger but hesitated because of the final cost to the USA. Switching from cartridges and electrics six months ago has become uncontrolled buying by my part of now up to 82 razors!

Today I received a Lambda Ares v2 purchased in the resale market and am blown away by the razor, the box and the insane quality.

I must buy the Athena today before it sells out.

I am on the Athena waitlist and recently got an invitation to buy one of the 2023 batch. I almost pulled the trigger but hesitated because of the final cost to the USA. Switching from cartridges and electrics six months ago has become uncontrolled buying by my part of now up to 82 razors!

Today I received a Lambda Ares v2 purchased in the resale market and am blown away by the razor, the box and the insane quality.

I must buy the Athena today before it sells out.

I can relate, I did reserve and purchase the Athena on this batch, already paid for it, just waiting on the tracking number for shipment. I can relate, 9 months into wet shaving buying too many razors but not 82! Now that is impressive!

I am on the Ares waiting list for this upcoming batch as well, just waiting on the email to purchase that one, can't wait!

I also hope you get the Athena before it sells out as well!

I’m on the Ares waiting list as well. I’ve had the Athena now for a few months and it is a fabulous razor. The only negative I can give it is the handle never ends up with the grippy portion in the correct location. It’s always off just a bit. Wish he would have just put the grippy part all the way around the handle. Other than that small complaint, it’s awesome.

Looking forward to the next batch of Ares to come up. Really digging the looks of the Ares even though I’ve never been much of an open comb fan.

I can relate, I did reserve and purchase the Athena on this batch, already paid for it, just waiting on the tracking number for shipment. I can relate, 9 months into wet shaving buying too many razors but not 82! Now that is impressive!

I am on the Ares waiting list for this upcoming batch as well, just waiting on the email to purchase that one, can't wait!

I also hope you get the Athena before it sells out as well!
I did pull the trigger on the Athena today. The beautiful mahogany box made half the sale. Other impressive boxes I have bring up the rear: Feather, Razor Emporium vintage metal tin, Robin Snap SE Canadian cedar.

The sometimes excessive efforts in minimalist "eco friendly" packaging yields interesting and sometimes humorous results: My Well Kept razor box insert is biodegradable mushroom!

Well Kept is a woman-owned business in Vancouver BC that claims their powder coated brass razor is made by a "family run machine shop in Ontario."

IMG_5454.jpeg

# 22 099

Been a while since I used the Ares - what a fantastic shaver - incredibly close and smooth 😎

I still can't believe the cost of Lambda razors... The box alone is included in their price and it the best I've ever seen. As a result, as most people who read Lambda related threads knows, I'm going to order a second Athena so I have two to pass down to our two sons. They'll be able to say... My dad loved shaving and I have this one he gave to me to remember him. I have my grandfather's straight razor he used when he as a barber aboard the USS Missouri during WWI. I treasure it.

My wife is eying the Athena I have now. It might be too heavy for her but we'll see. If she has the same experience I do.... we'll both be using Lambda Athena razors.....

I know this is an Ares thread.... @Mr. Shavington loves his Ares... as well as his Athena. I agree with him.. We have stumbled upon two razors that are underrated at this point... but will gain popularity over time, just as the Wolfman razors have. True works of art, created with passion and care. I owe a big "Thank You" to @Mr. Shavington . 4 out of my top 7 razors came from his recommendations. He has been my guide since he bought his Claymore Evolution and enjoyed it like I do.
BTW, the USS Missouri is featured on a postal stamp. I was lucky enough to tour the Missouri when it was based in Long Beach CA in the 1980s.

I have both the Ares and Athena and are a pleasure to look at every day in their open cases.

Hmm. Not sure what I'm going to do with this. I was thinking it would be fun to explore OC a bit more and I don't have a razor in bronze so I signed up for this a few months ago. Last week I signed up for another Wolfman which is also offering bronze that look amazing.

Yes, lots of decisions to be made. I don't think you can go wrong either way but I did place my order here and am happy that I did.

Top Bottom