What's new

Lambda Ares V2

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I absolutely love the marine bronze Theo uses for his "standard" razors. I have two Athenas and will get a bronze Ares when the next batch is released in a month or so. I only have one razor in two metals: I have the La Faulx in both premium polish bronze and basic polish stainless steel. I only bought the SS La Faulx as a travel razor for a month long trip to Indonesia earlier this year. I use it with a Ti Crown handle so I only had to purchase the razor head.

I don't plan on buying an Athena or Ares is one of the other metals Theo is offering now. I think they are extremely nice, but as I said, I love the way the marine bronze looks and the way it feels on my face. I'm sure others will feel the same way about this latest batch of specialty razors, along with those who bought the previously released stainless steel models a few months ago.

I just love the way the polished titanium came out.... I agree with Richard / @Mr. Shavington on that one. If I didn't find titanium razors a bit too light for me, I might be tempted with that one.

I absolutely love the marine bronze Theo uses for his "standard" razors. I have two Athenas and will get a bronze Ares when the next batch is released in a month or so. I only have one razor in two metals: I have the La Faulx in both premium polish bronze and basic polish stainless steel. I only bought the SS La Faulx as a travel razor for a month long trip to Indonesia earlier this year. I use it with a Ti Crown handle so I only had to purchase the razor head.

I don't plan on buying an Athena or Ares is one of the other metals Theo is offering now. I think they are extremely nice, but as I said, I love the way the marine bronze looks and the way it feels on my face. I'm sure others will feel the same way about this latest batch of specialty razors, along with those who bought the previously released stainless steel models a few months ago.

I just love the way the polished titanium came out.... I agree with Richard / @Mr. Shavington on that one. If I didn't find titanium razors a bit too light for me, I might be tempted with that one.
I really like the way the bronze looks but wanted the stainless due to it's zero upkeep. I don't like patina and I'm guessing that the bronze would eventually need polishing. Or am I wrong?
Maybe the bronze/alloy blend resists this?
I don't mind polishing every once in a while but the handle on the Ares looks like it'd be a pain to polish.
For an expensive razor that I'd use all the time, I prefer stainless. The only bronze & brass razors that I have (or have had) were mid priced (meaning I'd worry less about upkeep). With an expensive razor like the Ares, I know I'd have to be on top of it.

The Ares would be a razor I leave out on my razor rack. I don't care for fancy boxes like the wood one that it has.
The box for me would be a waste and would just sit in a closet since the razor would be out.
Maybe I warm up to the idea of overpaying for the stainless or end up on the list for a bronze model.
Anyways, we'll see what I decide!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I really like the way the bronze looks but wanted the stainless due to it's zero upkeep. I don't like patina and I'm guessing that the bronze would eventually need polishing. Or am I wrong?
Maybe the bronze/alloy blend resists this?
I don't mind polishing every once in a while but the handle on the Ares looks like it'd be a pain to polish.
For an expensive razor that I'd use all the time, I prefer stainless. The only bronze & brass razors that I have (or have had) were mid priced (meaning I'd worry less about upkeep). With an expensive razor like the Ares, I know I'd have to be on top of it.

The Ares would be a razor I leave out on my razor rack. I don't care for fancy boxes like the wood one that it has.
The box for me would be a waste and would just sit in a closet since the razor would be out.
Maybe I warm up to the idea of overpaying for the stainless or end up on the list for a bronze model.
Anyways, we'll see what I decide!
The Athenas I have have required almost zero maintenance to stay shiny. I've run a Simichrome ladened microfiber cloth over one of them once....That means.... I've never actually polished it fully... just wiped it down with a cloth I've used on other razors and not washed the cloths. The newest one hasn't ever seen a polish cloth.

I have a couple other bronze razors that need more maintenance, but even with them, a simple wipe down with one of those used cloths has been enough. I haven't applied Simichrome to them either, but I have had to wipe them down more frequently.

Edit: I know location has a lot to do with how fast patina develops... but we do live in Florida, but the bronze razors are not displayed in the master bath...and our house has central AC... so there is that.

Edit: I know location has a lot to do with how fast patina develops... but we do live in Florida, but the bronze razors are not displayed in the master bath...and our house has central AC... so there is that.
My bronze & brass razors have all been on razor racks in my master bath. And my central AC runs pretty much all day & night. And they've all looked like they've developed chicken pox after a couple of weeks.
So I'm polishing them about once a month!
Maybe I'll keep them stored and not displayed (like you do) until I actually take them out for use. I'm sure not just humidity but also bath steam is accelerating the patina.

Anyways, glad to hear that the Lambda holds up well in terms of that!
I think I'll put myself on the list for the next (or the one after that) Bronze Ares run.
I've definitely decided though to give up my slot for the Stainless one. Based on what you're saying, I see no need
to go that route and to top it off it's too much money in my view.

I was supposedly put on the waitlist for a SS Ares around the end of January or beginning of February and I didn't get any waitlist email about them yet. I guess it's just as well as I agree with all the comments the price differential is way too much to justify it. Also I find the bronze needs zero extra maintenance beyond my normal clean-dry-store, and haven't seen any patina. It would be a small matter to just polish it with some Flitz if there ever is any patina. I'll stick with bronze. There's still a few vintage razors I'd rather spend the money on. I'm not sure all the different new materials for the Athena and Ares is a good business idea but who knows.

Anyways, glad to hear that the Lambda holds up well in terms of that!
I think I'll put myself on the list for the next (or the one after that) Bronze Ares run.
I've definitely decided though to give up my slot for the Stainless one. Based on what you're saying, I see no need
to go that route and to top it off it's too much money in my view.

You could sign up for the passaround. I think you'd like the Ares.

Mr. Shavington

Knows Hot Turkish Toilets
They are all lovely. Bronze is the original and most authentic Lambda razor material - fitting the ancient Greek theme and also differentiating the razors from the crowd. But for various other reasons people may see advantages in the other offerings and it’s cool to have these choices.

Personally, I sympathise with the lower cleaning demand with steel, and it is still the sort of weight that I prefer. So I just bought a steel Ares. But my bronze Lambdas will always have the most sentimental value for me, and feel more special.

For those who like a lighter weight, I think that titanium Athena looks amazing. It’s significantly pricier but who else makes a titanium razor polished to this level for less than that? And imagine how complicated that base plate must be to polish. A Wolfman basic-polished titanium razor is significantly more expensive, I think. It just reflects the amount of careful, skilled labour that is required to do this, as well as the higher machining cost. Nobody needs a mirror-polished titanium razor, but if you want one it’s inevitably going to cost you this much or more. To me the end result looks special enough that it’s certainly at least a €600 razor.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Let me again add my thoughts on Bronze and Steel:

As you might remember, I got the Ares in Bronze and the Athena in Steel.

Turns out: Actually, bronze is nicer to look at. At least for me.
In terms of patina or stuff, my Ares is still as it was. It doesn't get fugly like some of my bronze razors did without even getting used. It's quite a quality bronze material.
Steel is steel, of course, God Crom and Conan approve always of steel.

If you don't just MUST have steel for looks or other reasons, I would rather go with bronze and save some money.
(It is also a bit frightening what a Ti version that might likely be a preorder batch would cost.)

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I do have all my bronze and brass razors on display, on top of my tall dresser. They look very nice there. <eg>

I have a little shaving shrine. I'm sure it could be arranged a bit better and certainly, the photograph doesn't do it justice, but here's an idea what it looks like:

RS_ShavingShrine.jpg

Anything is a steal compared to the Tedalus! 🤣
There are the limited edition Carbon Shaving Cx models; used Colonial Generals are now up there along with some other "collectibles." And I am always amazed at what the "Designer" and "Fragrance" houses' models go for. At least there is engineering (Tedalus) or exotic material (Carbon Shaving) behind those two. The highest functionality at the lowest cost is a piece of obsidian. :c1:

Top Bottom