What's new

Lakeland Experience

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Kent (@Kentos ) has been very kind and generous and sent me quite a few samples of various Lakeland Blends. I told him I would share my experiences here.

But before I do, I would like to take a moment and thank everyone here of the Brown Leaf. I have been a moderate cigar smoker for quite awhile but never a pipe smoker until recently.

From the very first moment I asked a question here, the members in this sub forum have been extremely willing and very helpful in my education and journey into Pipe smoking. I have went from a cob, 2 OTC's and no knowledge of pipes, tobacco blends and the techniques and knowledge that goes along with them, to a place of being, maybe not a veteran yet but at least a well informed enthusiast in a very short amount of time.

Being the natural pessimist that I am, I just figured everyone here was so laid back and cool, was because you all had extra nicotine in your bloodstreams. But I have come to terms that it's just who you all really are.

Doing what I do for a living, I have to be out when the boogeyman is out. That means, nights, weekends and holidays, which isn't very conducive to joining or being apart of a pipe club and trying to meet people in person of like mind, because they actually sleep at night. But then it dawned on me. I am already apart of a great pipe club.

The Brown Leaf, where I have learned all that I know today and where it's generous members have actually, reached out to me with advice and even samples, letting me try and experience and teaching me first hand, "what an aged pipe tobacco is like?" And the "differences between an English blend and a Balkan blend?" And so many other things. I have even got to try every GL Pease blend before actually purchasing any myself. I am very humbled by this generosity and friendship and I have everyone here to thank for it. And I am very proud that you let me be apart.

Anyhoo, back to the Lakeland. I picked up a MM cob so I can dedicate it to these samples because from what I hear, I don't want to ghost the few other pipes that I do have. :)

Gawith Hoggarth & Co's Kendal Flake was the first up. I actually purchased and smoked a whole tin of GLP's Stonehaven which some have said has a lakeland essence, but at the time my newbie status and inexperience wouldn't have noticed if there was notes of a Hostess ding dong and a glass of milk. The minute I lit the pipe, I first, immediately, got slapped in the face with just the sheer complexity of the blend. So many different things going on at once it's quite fascinating. I then forced myself to try to dissect the individual nuances.

I finally got the faint soapy thing people say and definitely the floral. Like a rose floral. Also recognized vanilla and almonds. But all these different notes seemed very tamed and mild, nothing overwhelming other than again, the sheer overall complexity and nothing like a perfume sticking to my tongue. About halfway thru the bowl, I got hit with this spicy, peppery note, very reminiscent to what I get when smoking a VaPer like PS's Luxury Bullseye or something. If I hadn't already read that it doesn't have Perique in the blend, I would have thought it had Perique. It had that much spiciness to it and it came out of nowhere. Very interesting blend and very enjoyable.

I don't even think I know if the reason I enjoyed it was because of the different flavors of the blend or if it was because it was just a completely different change to anything I have ever tried before. The closest description to anything similar in my mind would be a floral infused cigar, but not as strong as an infused cigar.

It's one of those blends you would reach for, You know, like when you're hungry, but you don't know what you are hungry for? And anything you have ever tried just doesn't sound appetizing? But you definitely know you still want to eat something. when that happens in the pipe tobacco realm? You want to smoke, but you don't want to smoke anything you have already smoked? But you definitely want to smoke something different?

Has this ever described you? Then reach for Kendal Flake. :)

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Nice write up and doesn't sound too bad. I would be interested to know how it would compare to Grousemoor, the only Lakeland that I'm familiar with.

Great thread! I need to revisit and review as well. My problem is I felt both Stonehenge and Bob's chocolate flake hed more Lakeland then Grousemoor. The Grousemoor was from '98 or '99, so could have mellowed but was very strong in the Lemongrass sour side, in a very good way

Btw i enjoyed the Lakeland

Kent (@Kentos ) has been very kind and generous and sent me quite a few samples of various Lakeland Blends. I told him I would share my experiences here.

But before I do, I would like to take a moment and thank everyone here of the Brown Leaf. I have been a moderate cigar smoker for quite awhile but never a pipe smoker until recently.

From the very first moment I asked a question here, the members in this sub forum have been extremely willing and very helpful in my education and journey into Pipe smoking. I have went from a cob, 2 OTC's and no knowledge of pipes, tobacco blends and the techniques and knowledge that goes along with them, to a place of being, maybe not a veteran yet but at least a well informed enthusiast in a very short amount of time.

Being the natural pessimist that I am, I just figured everyone here was so laid back and cool, was because you all had extra nicotine in your bloodstreams. But I have come to terms that it's just who you all really are.

Doing what I do for a living, I have to be out when the boogeyman is out. That means, nights, weekends and holidays, which isn't very conducive to joining or being apart of a pipe club and trying to meet people in person of like mind, because they actually sleep at night. But then it dawned on me. I am already apart of a great pipe club.

The Brown Leaf, where I have learned all that I know today and where it's generous members have actually, reached out to me with advice and even samples, letting me try and experience and teaching me first hand, "what an aged pipe tobacco is like?" And the "differences between an English blend and a Balkan blend?" And so many other things. I have even got to try every GL Pease blend before actually purchasing any myself. I am very humbled by this generosity and friendship and I have everyone here to thank for it. And I am very proud that you let me be apart.

Anyhoo, back to the Lakeland. I picked up a MM cob so I can dedicate it to these samples because from what I hear, I don't want to ghost the few other pipes that I do have. :)

Gawith Hoggarth & Co's Kendal Flake was the first up. I actually purchased and smoked a whole tin of GLP's Stonehaven which some have said has a lakeland essence, but at the time my newbie status and inexperience wouldn't have noticed if there was notes of a Hostess ding dong and a glass of milk. The minute I lit the pipe, I first, immediately, got slapped in the face with just the sheer complexity of the blend. So many different things going on at once it's quite fascinating. I then forced myself to try to dissect the individual nuances.

I finally got the faint soapy thing people say and definitely the floral. Like a rose floral. Also recognized vanilla and almonds. But all these different notes seemed very tamed and mild, nothing overwhelming other than again, the sheer overall complexity and nothing like a perfume sticking to my tongue. About halfway thru the bowl, I got hit with this spicy, peppery note, very reminiscent to what I get when smoking a VaPer like PS's Luxury Bullseye or something. If I hadn't already read that it doesn't have Perique in the blend, I would have thought it had Perique. It had that much spiciness to it and it came out of nowhere. Very interesting blend and very enjoyable.

I don't even think I know if the reason I enjoyed it was because of the different flavors of the blend or if it was because it was just a completely different change to anything I have ever tried before. The closest description to anything similar in my mind would be a floral infused cigar, but not as strong as an infused cigar.

It's one of those blends you would reach for, You know, like when you're hungry, but you don't know what you are hungry for? And anything you have ever tried just doesn't sound appetizing? But you definitely know you still want to eat something. when that happens in the pipe tobacco realm? You want to smoke, but you don't want to smoke anything you have already smoked? But you definitely want to smoke something different?

Has this ever described you? Then reach for Kendal Flake. :)

Awesome post.:thumbup1:

Great thread! I need to revisit and review as well. My problem is I felt both Stonehenge and Bob's chocolate flake hed more Lakeland then Grousemoor. The Grousemoor was from '98 or '99, so could have mellowed but was very strong in the Lemongrass sour side, in a very good way

Btw i enjoyed the Lakeland
If you like Lakeland, then get thee some Ennerdale, my friend. It's the Lakelandiest Lakeland of them all.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
If you like Lakeland, then get thee some Ennerdale, my friend. It's the Lakelandiest Lakeland of them all.

And Peretti No Name. It's lakelandy, but with a Burley base. Different experience, and like Lakeland on steroids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Smoking the Kendal Flake now, and it's nice. The heavy scent seems to burn off, leaving a soft background scent reminiscent of cinnamon glazed cashews and almonds.

Gee I might need to cellar this stuff.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I actually purchased and smoked a whole tin of GLP's Stonehaven which some have said has a lakeland essence,

I would like to make a correction to my OP. I meant to say, GLP's Stonhenge, not Stonehaven. Can't seem to get my mind off of Stonhaven since I tried it. :)

another Grousemoor fan here. More of a lemongrass/lakeland than rose/floral lakeland.

It can be addictive. It's one of those tobaccos that, when first sniffed or smoked, you think "Ewww...what the hell is this?". Then...you find yourself sneaking whiffs of the tin. Then a defiant smoke to prove that "it sucks".

and then you have a few more sneaky sniffs...and another bowl...and then you're hooked.

another Grousemoor fan here. More of a lemongrass/lakeland than rose/floral lakeland.

It can be addictive. It's one of those tobaccos that, when first sniffed or smoked, you think "Ewww...what the hell is this?". Then...you find yourself sneaking whiffs of the tin. Then a defiant smoke to prove that "it sucks".

and then you have to throw away the tin, burn the pipe and the tamper you used, and have 3 fingers of scotch to try to drown the memory from your taste buds

Pretty sure that is what you really meant. ;)

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Come on, Dustin, that is an exaggeration.

You can save the tamper with a good alcohol wipedown.
OK, fine... burning the tamper is I guess a *bit* over the top. The tamper is saveable... unless it was just a cheap wood golf tee.. in which case I'd burn it anyways just to prove a point. :D

Top Bottom