What's new

Lainess : New french soap review ! (LPL inside)

All of which sounds reasonable.
My French is a bit weak these days (well, almost no stronger than it ever was since I was not a diligent student) but it appears that one fills out the order form and emails it to her and discusses shipping if it is outside France.
Correct?

Hi gentlemen :001_smile

I don’toften write on the forum but I love reading comments and especially reviews onshaving gears.

But when I try a soap which I find amazing, I allow myself to make my own review (that’s why I used to make one of the famous LPL Rose de Pushkar)

I am trying now a new french soap since 2 weeks and I find it to be such impressive that I cannot resist to allow it a review.

History of this soap :

This soap is called “Lainess” and it is a new french shaving soap on the market. The owner of the farm whith donkeys is called Gaelle and the thing is she lives close to Cyril (Le Père Lucien) and they are friends each other. When Cyril visited the farm and saw the quality of her products, he encouraged her to create a shaving soap.

So Gaelle provides some ingredients (like her donkey milk) and Le Père Lucien makes the soap.

You can visit the website : www.lainess.com

The problem is that the shaving soap is not displaiyed on the website yet but you can easily contact Gaelle through email : [email protected]

That is how I did to purchase the soap and she answered me during the same day and I was able to pay her with paypal. (and she offered me a big 50g sample of one of her bath soap in my order !!)

View attachment 621366

THE SOAP :

First of all, you can see on the first picture the ingredient list : This is a great point cause it is only natural with just a few ingredients.
The soap is rich of shea butter, honey and donkey milk; those 3 ingredients being very good for the skin !

This is a100g puck (around 3.4 oz) and to give you an idea, this soap is a little bit harder than a regular LPL soap (but of course not as hard as a MDC).

As it is a100ml version, the puck is quite small. The cost is 18.50€ (I don’t know the shipping cost to US or foreign countries, so do not hesitate to contact her).

View attachment 621367

from left to right : Mystic water, Lainess and Monsavon

To be honest the soap is on the same line of price of regular LPL soaps, so it is quite expensive but it really worth it ! and let me explain you why :thumbup:

View attachment 621368
Here is what it looks like Inside

ITS QUALITIES

First the smell : on the tag is written in french : “honey scent”. Well the main scent that comes to me is coffee scent. I love it and it definitely reminds me of theRazorock Mudder focker scent (but this soap is better in all the points).
The scent is very well balanced, not overpowering, present during the shave but not too much.

Now let’s talk about the shave itself !

I used quite a few soaps during my 2 years experience of shaving; from HTGAM,razorock, LPL, MDC, Mike’s, to Mystic water..

I mainly use a Plisson L’occitane synthetic brush. I loaded it on the puck for no more than 10 seconds and oh man ! the brush is already overloaded !

View attachment 621369
My brush is loaded of only 10 seconds !

I then build the lather on my face and add some water from time to time and at the end the lather is incredible. It is a mix between LPL and TOBS creams, very thick,dense, and you feel like you apply some Nivea cream instead of a shaving soap:thumbup1:

Of course,the glide and protection are really really good.

I used touse the Mystic Water sensitive skin those last 2 months (great soap !) and I was a bit afraid when I tried this Lainess soap (I have quite sensitive skin)but at the end using shea butter, honey, donkey milk, you cannot go wrong with this soap. Those who have sensitive skin would really enjoy its benefits.

View attachment 621370
The Plisson brush after the first pass...

I mean to me, this soap is at least as good as LPL, MDC, Mikes etc...

The only problem is that it’s only available in 100g version (hope she will make abigger soap soon).

But alittle goes a long way and I’m sure this soap will last for a long time !

This soap is not popular yet and that’s why I write this review cause it really deserves it !!!

By the way,I do apologize for my english writing :blushing:

Ton ecriture en anglais est superbe, alors ne t'en fais pas. On te comprend tres bien, mon ami. Personallement je trouve le prix un peu cher mais je te crois que le savon est excellent!

Ton ecriture en anglais est superbe, alors ne t'en fais pas. On te comprend tres bien, mon ami. Personallement je trouve le prix un peu cher mais je te crois que le savon est excellent!

I agree - your English is excellent (this coming from a native English speaker). I wish my French were half as good as your English. C'est la vie

All of which sounds reasonable.
My French is a bit weak these days (well, almost no stronger than it ever was since I was not a diligent student) but it appears that one fills out the order form and emails it to her and discusses shipping if it is outside France.
Correct?

yes !

Based on the photos, the lather is nowhere near Kaizen, CK-6, MilkSteak, Siero, Excelsior or Southern Witchcrafts.

Seems kinda airy.

Based on the photos, the lather is nowhere near Kaizen, CK-6, MilkSteak, Siero, Excelsior or Southern Witchcrafts.

Seems kinda airy.
You realize that you just commented on a thread that had been inactive for five years, right? I'm sure that the soaps that you listed are going to seem passe in 2026. 😂
And if you care at all, I actually prefer Lainess over the soaps that you listed. The super-fatted, overly-scented soaps really do nothing for me. But that's just my two cents...

Seems kinda airy.
This lather appears to be a "high structure" lather compared to what you are used to. My Seaforth! soaps are the same and I do enjoy them but I also enjoy shaving with many low structure lathers. I went to the website for this soap and I noticed that they now offer most soaps in 200 gram pucks. The other thing I noticed, which I love, is that they list known allergens for each different soap so if you know you are sensitive to certain ingredients you know upfront not to purchase that soap. Here is an example from the Blue Pearl soap listing "Allergens: citronellol, geraniol, linalool, lilial, cinnamal hexyl." They have a Sweet Orange and Donkey Milk that intrigues me.

20220105_095638-01.jpeg
Here's my initial review of LAINESS "Blue Pearl" (batch dated 2020):

First outing of a "new to me" soap brand, Lainess, made in France, a soap produced in collaboration with (if not made by) Le Père Lucien. It's been a gift of my lovely wife, I'd never heard of LAINESS before tbh (but as soon as I saw LPL on the label, my anticipation started, as LPL makes good soaps imo).

This soap base comes in several scent variations, my soap named "Blue Pearl" is advertised by a vendor being a maritime scent. I tend to disagree with this description. To my nose this soap smells more like a high quality face cream (for men). Very spa-like, if you will, absolutely enjoyable for me and not at all sweet. The scent is rather mid strong and won’t offend anyone.

Now, back to the soap's performance, which was nothing but very nice. The soap has the consistency of a hard croap (I scooped it out with a spoon without needing to scratch it out), it lathered up easily and provided a cushiony and very slick high structure lather. The slickness is very good (up to excellent) both in terms of initial and residual slickness. The base can take quite some water, it appears. The soap whipped up 100% dramafree and provided a slick, non-airy high structure lather, it's been a kind of creamy (non greasy) lather with a lot of sheen. Nice.

Overall a very good performing soap which does not fall back in terms of performance when compared to other top tier brands - pls take this evaluation with a grain of salt, it's been my first take with the soap.

However, the best is yet to come: this soap provided a remarkable (!) post shave feel, and this is the outstanding part of its performance which made me write this review. Regularly I don't mind if a soap has nourishing qualities in terms of post shave feel since I use a balm anyway if needed, however, after having finished my shave with this soap today my skin felt uber soft and nourished (but not greasy), it made me skip using post shave products today. I assume this caused by the mare's milk (17%).

Those who are a fan of "post shave quality"-driven soaps should give this brand definitely a try.

Last edited:
Top Bottom