What's new

Lady with Allergies to Metals

Stainless steel is full of chromium. It is >10%. So you would want to avoid that.

If you want with a DE Razor, you would probably need one made from Bakelite (plastic) or one that is coated with rhodium or silver. You could then post in the blades section to look and ask if anyone has any ideas for high carbon and low nickel & chromium steel blades. I'm a SE shaver and I use carbon steel Treet blades. They work out well for me, but I don't know what they are made from. SE razors are less common and not currently in production. So you'd have to buy a vintage razor and then you would likely need to have it coated.

I imagine the ideal solution to this issue is going to be a straight. Possibly a custom straight razor. I know very little about straights, so I'd head over to the straight razor section ask those friendly gents. I'm sure they'll have some excellent ideas.

The only non-metallic razor I can think of is the Merkur 45, which is made from Bakelite. As for blades, look for one with a Teflon or Ceramic coating.

For leg shaving, you'll probably want a longer handle. You can get these custom-made fairly easily. There are a lot of artisans that will be glad to take a custom order, and can make you a long handle from a material like wood or resin.

If you can tolerate stainless steel, there are a lot of choices available ready-made on the market. Tradere makes a really nice handle, but I'm not sure if they're still in business. And search the vintage sources for a razor called Stahly. This is one of those with a spring-driven vibrating handle. The head is all stainless, and is one of the best-engineered and best-kept secrets in the razor world. The handles are big and bulky and mostly plastic, but they screw off easily and you can substitute another handle in its place.

You can also take a standard metal handle and encase it in Plasti-Kote or surgical tubing. It won't look very pretty, but it will insulate you from any possible irritants.

I did a Google search on non-metal razor blades and came up with the "Cerazor." It's a plastic cartridge looking razor with a ceramic blade. It's available on ebay and Amazon for $40ish and there's at least one video on YouTube of a guy shaving his face with it.

I did a Google search on non-metal razor blades and came up with the "Cerazor." It's a plastic cartridge looking razor with a ceramic blade. It's available on ebay and Amazon for $40ish and there's at least one video on YouTube of a guy shaving his face with it.

It's funny because this was the first thought that came to my mind as well, having just recently stumbled across it. No metal at all. Here's more details: http://www.gotradekorea.com/product/detail/P491772/Cerazo-(Ceramic-Razor-for-Women).html

Be careful buying a RRBS on eBay. These razors are still prototypes and some have had issues with blade alignment as well as fit and finish. You should also take a look at the Shavecraft 101 from iKon. As far as I know it's 100% aircraft grade aluminum and currently in production.

I've actually got a plastic DE (I haven't used it yet, I sort of just collect razors and that's one)... you can get them off eBay, often sold from India but sometimes found in the US. Look for a Gilette 7 O'clock razor. I'm not saying its a great razor, it looks almost disposable, but it would work. Wilkinson Sword also makes a plastic DE (or it could be nylon, I'm not sure).

Hi,
You could try the Wilkinson Classic it has a plastic head and long handle - some metal infill to handle for weight but very inexpensive! It Takes all DE blades i think, and it gives a very mild shave.

A vintage British Tech head is Aluminium and relatively Inexpensive - coupled with a bespoke Aluminium handle may be another option.

Hope you get things resolved.

it does look interesting but I think this would maybe be worst-case scenario if nothing else works. have to never drop it and shave isn't that great.

Be careful buying a RRBS on eBay. These razors are still prototypes and some have had issues with blade alignment as well as fit and finish. You should also take a look at the Shavecraft 101 from iKon. As far as I know it's 100% aircraft grade aluminum and currently in production.

I hope you're wrong about the RRBS that I just got. The finish issue wouldn't bother me much (since is aluminum underneath) but if there are issues with blade alignment, that would be serious. Will have to hope for the best. Thinking of getting the Standard Razor too that someone linked to above so maybe that one will be good enough if the RRBS ends up being a fail.

If you finally get a hold of some carbon steel blades and find they solve the problem, you may want to order a lifetime supply. It would be surprisingly cheap, and they seem to be getting scarce.

Any progress. ?

Yes, there has been! Sorry I didn't get on here sooner. Yesterday I received some blades that a friend of someone on B&B sent to me--I got a few samples of Treet Classic and Treet Durasharp. At the same time, I received the RRBS I had purchased off eBay. I decided to try the Durasharp first so had my husband supervise while I used it in the bathtub. I was sweating it because I haven't used a double-edged razor in decades, and the ones I used to use were stainless steel with a lady's butterfly-open type shaver (probably Gillette?). So I was rusty. I went slow in short strokes and after I got the hang of it, I was able to do my legs from above the knees down. I tried under my arms but that's a more challenging area, especially where it bends inward into a concave type position (if that makes sense).

I had no irritation during the process, nor afterward. I woke up to smooth legs w/o any itchiness or rashes, which is something I've usually experienced with disposable (steel w/nickel) razors.

I didn't really see the slant thing in the RRBS but also didn't see any misalignment issues, although I'm not sure I'd know if there were.

I'll try the Classic blade next.

I'm wondering if there's a site that sells samples of the Treet Black Beauty or Blue Special, so I can compare to the Durasharp and the Classic and then make a large buy on Italian Barber (if I get the Black Beauty) or another B&B recognized vendor of the Durasharp. Does anyone know? Also is there a way to sort through the vendors on B&B so I can find ones who sell the Durasharp, if I go that route? UPDATE: I just realized that I was sent one of the Black Beautys--I think these are what I thought were "Classic" ones--I had to open one wrapper to see its gorgeous black color!

Anyway, I'm elated that it appears that I may have gotten resolved one of the issues in dealing with the metal allergies. I couldn't have gotten this far without everyone's help here!

Last edited:
Top Bottom