What's new

Lacking hair growth on cheeks

I am 27 years old and decided to grow a beard. After 3 weeks I had a full enough mustache, goatee, and OK growth on and and underneath my chin. I have nothing but five or six long hairs on each cheek, and my mustache does not connect on the sides to my beard at all. Basically, it seems I can grow a mustache, goatee, and a chinstrap beard but nothing else. Is this normal?

It may be normal for you and by that I mean everyone's hair growth pattern is different. And that will change with age. Let it grow and trim it to something you like and be patient it does take time for a beard to become full.

I trimmed it using a 3mm guard today and shaved my cheeks and the area between the mustache and the between on either side of my mouth using a DE razor. I also cleaned up the neckline. This left me with a chinstrap, mustache, and goatee.

Can I keep trimming it this way as I let it grow/fill in? Of course if I want to see if I get growth in the areas I shaved using the DE razor, I'll have to stop using it, but that makes things look unkept.

There really is no, "normal" when it comes to beard growth. Even the best beards have patches and light areas. I would also say that at age 27, you havent yet reaches your full beard potentional, so you may find that it comes in better in 5 or 10 years.
I know that my beard doesnt grow as thick on the sides as I would like, so I just rock a goatee/circle beard and just trim my beard a bit shorter on the sides, so that its more of a scruff beard. Some people call that a, "scruffy goat".
When your beard is shorter, it less you get away with less beard thickness.

You want it to grow but you're shaving it and trimming? Leave it alone for 3 months. A few weeks growth is nothing.
Beards are like Cactus. They do just fine if ya leave them alone. Clean up the neck area if ya must.

So I am just learning what Dave above says and starting to do what sounds trivial, but is all important: Not shave. I am a strange man for a number of reasons, but wanting to grow my beard while also loving straight razors has always been a challenge. My neck line is too high and my cheeks are too low from months and months, if not years in reality, of excess trimming.

So now I am committed to just letting the damn thing work. Once a week or so, I will shave below the Adam's apple (mostly as an excuse to use my shave stuff) and otherwise just gonna let it work.

It sounds so simple but we've all been there. Or at least I have. Fiddling with it, trimming it, raising the neck line etc. Sounds strange but it can take a bit of discipline to just do nothing. I was particularly bad at having light bulb moments at like midnight, and taking bits off. Always looked different next day. :letterk1: Nobody else will notice the things you insist on trying to fix.

I grow a three month beard usually once a year in winter then shave it off again when the urge hits. No biggy. Muhle R41 for cutting straight lines and small sharp scissors for the moustache area above the lip. That can also be done with a razor though.

1592570189530.png

It is normal, and no those few spare hairs growing on your cheek aren’t going to fill in and look good just because you let them grow.

Go with what God gave you, and clean up the stragglers. In other words. Take advantage of what’s growing strong, trim it up sharp, and look neat.

On the other hand.
If you’re in a secure relationship, and a job that doesn’t require some type of social interaction we’re people will be making fun of you if you decide to let half a dozen hairs grow in spots where you are obviously follicly challenged. By all means, let it all grow, and look homeless.

But if you’re actively playing the field, and in an upwardly mobile economic mindset. Stay sharp.

Nothing looks worse then straggly hairs on a man’s face.
And the 27 years old. You want to take it advantage of every attribute you have.
JMO

It is normal, and no those few spare hairs growing on your cheek aren’t going to fill in and look good just because you let them grow.

Go with what God gave you, and clean up the stragglers. In other words. Take advantage of what’s growing strong, trim it up sharp, and look neat.

On the other hand.
If you’re in a secure relationship, and a job that doesn’t require some type of social interaction we’re people will be making fun of you if you decide to let half a dozen hairs grow in spots where you are obviously follicly challenged. By all means, let it all grow, and look homeless.

But if you’re actively playing the field, and in an upwardly mobile economic mindset. Stay sharp.

Nothing looks worse then straggly hairs on a man’s face.
And the 27 years old. You want to take it advantage of every attribute you have.
JMO

You just don't know what his beard will look like after a few months. He's looking for encouragement to grow a beard, not be told to give up trying. I still have spots that take a few months to fill in. Facial hair does not all grow at the same rate. The best way to 'Go with what God gave you' is to let it grow.

I'm not discouraging him. I'm saying take advantage of what he has, and by keeping it trimmed nice. He will still look good while growing his beard.
It sounds like the OP, and I have similar beards.

Life is hard enough on young people without doing things that may risk unforeseen opportunities from being presented to them. IOW, don't look like a bum.
You know "when opportunity knocks" and all that good stuff.

I'm just speaking from an employers prospective.

However, if the OP has all of his future mapped out, and his only concern is his beard. By all means he should do whatever floats his boat. For all I know he plays in a grunge band.
As I clarified, JMO

In the 1980s, as I was nearing my 40's, I wouldn't shave from Labor Day to Memorial Day. Some areas were sparse for months, but my beard eventually filled-in and was full and bushy by the time I shaved it off. I never could stand a beard in warm weather and, as my youngest daughter would be upset for days after I shaved my beard, I just stopped growing one.

Last edited:
Shave your cheeks, let the "goatee" grow for 8 weeks....and don't trim....
Check beardbrand...they have instructional vids on yt

Top Bottom