What's new

Lab Series Shave Cream - numbness

Does anyone have any experience with Lab Series shave cream? It's supposedly this European inspired high-tech cream you apply with your hand . . And it's for sensitive skin. It's sold in fine department stores. I got some for Christmas and was excited about using it . . but it has a disturbing side effect . . . it is designed to make your skin numb to supposedly make the shaving process more comfortable. The stuff does actually make your face numb and I found that to be very disturbing . . . It took several hours for the full effects of the numbness to wear off. It also irritated my skin. So, far from being good for sensitive skin, it irritated my skin. If anyone out there has any experience with this product, I'd love to know what your experience has been.

Does anyone have any experience with Lab Series shave cream? It's supposedly this European inspired high-tech cream you apply with your hand . . And it's for sensitive skin. It's sold in fine department stores. I got some for Christmas and was excited about using it . . but it has a disturbing side effect . . . it is designed to make your skin numb to supposedly make the shaving process more comfortable. The stuff does actually make your face numb and I found that to be very disturbing . . . It took several hours for the full effects of the numbness to wear off. It also irritated my skin. So, far from being good for sensitive skin, it irritated my skin. If anyone out there has any experience with this product, I'd love to know what your experience has been.
I used this stuff for a short while years ago when I was still using a Mach 3 or whatever it was at the time.

At first, it seems like a good idea. I was thinking...Man shaving hurts therefore this will be great. However, for me this product promoted the idea that shaving was suppose to hurt and I ended up shaving more aggressively and giving myself more irritation.

I don't remember the product having exceptional lubrication properties to justify its use as a pre shave. But believe me I have an extremely tough beard, very sensitive skin and with the right tools and technique, shaving should not be painful.

For me, the best results are shaving after a hot shower, using Proraso Pre/Post, Feather Nanka Shave Gel, Merkur 39C with a Feather (for me I get a great shave with just about any blade using this razor) and follow up with some Thayers Witch Hazel and Proraso Pre/Post.

I have used LAB shaving cream for over 2 years. For me, the product was a quantum leap forward with an electric razor. I switched from cartridge razors to electrics and this cream worked very well. After a short while, you won't really notice or even feel the numbness. I think your skin basically adjusts to it. All that said, I have been told and honestly believe that it is not the best for DE shaving. Unless perhaps you use it as a thin layer before putting lather on your face.

Top Bottom