What's new

La Toja?

I had my Sunday shave with La Toja this morning and man, what a soap. My rotation has been Cella red/green, Tabac and La Toja for a few weeks now and this humble soap from Spain really does the trick. I focused on getting my lather dialed in perfectly and the slickness really showed up - Tabac is easier to get consistent results with but La Toja just plain performs.

Thinking about it, I believe that the La Toja formula lathers so easily that I usually stop short of perfection and begin the shave. I bowl lather loaded from a grated stick and this soap explodes almost immediately. If I take the additional time to continue working it with a few drops of extra water the sheen develops and that is when you know a soap is where it needs to be. Perhaps the only "difficulty" I have with this soap is that it's truly so "easy" that I sometimes stop short of dialing in my lather before I begin the shave.

I had a great time shopping for shaving stuff in Spain last summer [emoji3]
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lovely!! This should get you through the pandemic!! :a29:

If the weather cooperates I should be trying La Toja on either Wednesday or Thursday. Haven’t decided if I want to try it or the Palmolive stick first

Lovely!! This should get you through the pandemic!! :a29:

I’m just sad I’m not going to Spain again this year due to pandemic. Would have been nice to pick up some more Spanish products for my stock. So cheap over there and available everywhere .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both the La Toja stick I ordered with my Fatip Open Comb Slant and the razor itself came today. The La Toja smells good and clean, but that foil is going to be a problem in time. I'll have to smooth it back up over the soap cylinder so I can slide the cap down for storage.

I'm going to use my Tabac stick with the Fatip on Wednesday, so I'll try the La Toja on Thursday evening.

I like the lather and the scentm but I definitely do not think it smells like clean laundry (or an old bowling alley ashtray for that matter). I pick up a much more "earthy" scent with kind of an irish spring bar soap vibe mixed in.

Well and good. I've been using that soap that Irish people used to cut into on television for a loooong time.

Both the La Toja stick I ordered with my Fatip Open Comb Slant and the razor itself came today. The La Toja smells good and clean, but that foil is going to be a problem in time. I'll have to smooth it back up over the soap cylinder so I can slide the cap down for storage.
I ordered a couple of LEA sticks with my Fatip OC Slant, and unlike the La Toja I ordered last time, the LEA sticks have no foil (but almost identical plastic containers). If the foil bugs you, just get rid of it.

BTW La Toja is a very creamy soap with a great post shave feel. Smells like laundry by the ocean when lathered to my nose.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
The lather it produces is fantastic.

It stings my face just a bit, so I stopped using it for that reason, but if it wasn't for that, I'd always have it on hand.

I hate it when this happens. Had an intense experience with burning from Le Pere Lucien. I absolutely love Nuavia Blu and it recently started to sting my skin as well. Allergic reactions are a bummer.

I tried La Toja for the first time today. One of the best lathering soaps that I’ve used. Great slickness and definitely get the clean laundry/ocean breeze description of the scent

I hate it when this happens. Had an intense experience with burning from Le Pere Lucien. I absolutely love Nuavia Blu and it recently started to sting my skin as well. Allergic reactions are a bummer.
Yep. I've started having similar issues with La Toja. Third time I've bought this soap in the last decade. It always works great for a few shaves, and then my skin starts stinging when I use it. Bummer. I bought 3 sticks. Guess I'll sell or PIF the two unused ones.

The worst reaction to a soap that I've ever had was Boellis Panama 1924, which is unfortunate since I love the scent and it makes an excellent lather. I noticed it starting to sting when I was about half way through shaving, so I quickly finished up and rinsed my face very thoroughly. Right after I got done I started to feel a strong burning/stinging sensation and it lasted for about 12 hours before it started to subside. My skin got a blotchy red appearance, too. It was a pretty miserable day.

Yep. I've started having similar issues with La Toja. Third time I've bought this soap in the last decade. It always works great for a few shaves, and then my skin starts stinging when I use it. Bummer. I bought 3 sticks. Guess I'll sell or PIF the two unused ones.

Sorry!! :sob: :sob:

La Toja is a favorite around here!!

Just used my La Toja stick for a shave on a 36-hour beard. Good stuff, but 2 comments:

I rubbed a little of the soap from the wet stick onto my cheeks and throat and then lathered with a damp badger brush. It needed a bit more water than I thought it would -- like Tabac in that sense. And during the shave I found I needed to rub the stick over my face again before the brush could lather the soap well. Perhaps I didn't have enough on my face to start with, and thus the brush.

The stuff has an interesting "cereal" scent to me now, after rinsing, applying Stirling aftershave and a skin lotion, and with my Clubman powder atop it. For some reason I keep having the desire to eat a bowl of Cheerios!

Just used my La Toja stick for a shave on a 36-hour beard. Good stuff, but 2 comments:

I rubbed a little of the soap from the wet stick onto my cheeks and throat and then lathered with a damp badger brush. It needed a bit more water than I thought it would -- like Tabac in that sense. And during the shave I found I needed to rub the stick over my face again before the brush could lather the soap well. Perhaps I didn't have enough on my face to start with, and thus the brush.

The stuff has an interesting "cereal" scent to me now, after rinsing, applying Stirling aftershave and a skin lotion, and with my Clubman powder atop it. For some reason I keep having the desire to eat a bowl of Cheerios!

Agreed, it's a very thirsty soap, and a thin film is PLENTY! I love using synthetics with shave sticks since they don't absorb any of the preciously dense lather.

Agreed, it's a very thirsty soap, and a thin film is PLENTY! I love using synthetics with shave sticks since they don't absorb any of the preciously dense lather.
Yeah, maybe I should have used my synthetic.

Amended about the scent: It now reminds me of a perfume my mother would dab on before she went to to work at the hospital as a private-duty nurse when I was a kid. No idea what it was called, but it was sort of powdery, like this.

Does badger actually absorb the lather? Seem to have plenty of lather with a badger.

From my experience, yes. The larger the brush, the worse it is and boar bristles seem to absorb even more. It makes sense since badger brushes are basically full of hairs that absorb water. Synthetics are stuffed with plastic fibers that are not absorbant whatsoever. Since lather is basically water, air, and soap, natural brushes steal some for themselves, some worse than others, depending on how dense it is.

From my experience, yes. The larger the brush, the worse it is and boar bristles seem to absorb even more. It makes sense since badger brushes are basically full of hairs that absorb water. Synthetics are stuffed with plastic fibers that are not absorbant whatsoever. Since lather is basically water, air, and soap, natural brushes steal some for themselves, some worse than others, depending on how dense it is.
Thank you!

Top Bottom