What's new

La Toja?

I picked up about 4 sticks when i was in Spain last summer. I grated 2 of them into a jar. I like it. No fuss good value shaves.
There are definitely better soaps out there but for about 1 euro per stick, the value is hard to beat.

With all the La Toja love pouring out in this thread I now have to place an order! I had a tube of La Toja cream a few years back, but lately I am trying to build a stock of shave sticks. So for me it will be a shave stick!

With all the La Toja love pouring out in this thread I now have to place an order! I had a tube of La Toja cream a few years back, but lately I am trying to build a stock of shave sticks. So for me it will be a shave stick!
I finally pulled the trigger in this soap last night. I was scratching an itch for more brushes and found yourshaving.com has the sticks for about $2 usd. Not the best deal but certainly not the worst

Last edited:
I have really wanted to try it for quite a while and I have held off because I could not find anywhere to purchase that wasn’t going to run me over $4 a stick. I was fortunate enough to take a nice long European trip about 18 months ago and have taken up wet shaving since. Now I find myself wanting to try the shave products from all the varying countries we travelled to or want to return and visit. Spain was not one that we went to but I would really like to go.

I really wish I shared the passion for this that everyone has. For me it’s “meh”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah just used the La Toja for the first time today. I was thinking that it would be good and boy was it! Tons of creamy lather and nice slickness to it. Incredible stuff! I like the scent of it too. Like others here have said, it has a fresh laundry smell to it, quite a clean fragrance. Not hard to lather at all. I bought a pack of 3 through Amazon. It should last me awhile.
I definitely recommend this soap to others. It’s a good product.

Razorhead

Just received my first La Toja stick yesterday. Haven't used it yet, but the initial stick scent is NOT one that I like. Smells like a cross between a bad Fabric softener scent and a dirty ash tray. I will lather it up sometime in the next couple weeks to get the full experience and to see if the scent grows on me at all

I used my La Toja stick for the first time last night. I’m kind of on the fence about it. It was a good shave. I’m not crazy about the scent. It smells like babies to me.
I’m not sure if I’m sold on the whole stick idea either. It’s kind of messy. Lather flying all over the shop. I know I could grate it into a tub and use it as a soap.

Just used La Toja for the first time. Performance is great. Up there with Tabac and Fine soaps. Maybe even slightly better. Super thick and creamy with nice slickness just the way i like it. But it smells like a bowling alley ash tray. Not a good scent. I do not understand how some folks describe it as clean laundry air drying by the beach. No way Jose. This stuff reeks!

...Not a good scent. I do not understand how some folks describe it as clean laundry air drying by the beach. No way Jose. This stuff reeks!
People seem to perceive scents differently. I get more of an ocean, salt, earth and linen type of scent. The scent off the soap itself is more concentrated and not the same as the scent off the lather.

La Toja is quite popular in Spain and Portugal. Here's some shelves in a supermarket to give you an idea. And check out those prices!

spanish-market-1.jpgspanish-market-2.jpg

Just used La Toja for the first time. Performance is great. Up there with Tabac and Fine soaps. Maybe even slightly better. Super thick and creamy with nice slickness just the way i like it. But it smells like a bowling alley ash tray. Not a good scent. I do not understand how some folks describe it as clean laundry air drying by the beach. No way Jose. This stuff reeks!

Never heard this description of la toja in all my years on this site!

It’s one of my favorite scents in all of shavedom.

It takes all types I guess.:)

People seem to perceive scents differently. I get more of an ocean, salt, earth and linen type of scent. The scent off the soap itself is more concentrated and not the same as the scent off the lather.

La Toja is quite popular in Spain and Portugal. Here's some shelves in a supermarket to give you an idea. And check out those prices!

View attachment 1090265View attachment 1090266

I get exactly the same notes. La Toja remains a favorite of mine.

PS. Great pics! Thanks for those.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Prices of La Toja in Spain are similar to prices of Proraso here in Italy. I remember that during my vacations in both Madrid and Barcelona I was able to buy the La Toja sticks at around €1,50 and the creams at around €1,60.

I like the lather and the scentm but I definitely do not think it smells like clean laundry (or an old bowling alley ashtray for that matter). I pick up a much more "earthy" scent with kind of an irish spring bar soap vibe mixed in.

Top Bottom