What's new

La Toja?

I am finishing a tube of a Portuguese cream called Rio Sul. I thought I was heading for a puck of Cade next, but after pulling out the canned foam version of La Toja, I realized how much I miss the scent. La Toja stick up next!

It's an incredibly slick soap, generous on post-shave and with a beautiful earthy/mineral/smoky scent, but I find it light on cushion. I prefer the tube to the stick, but I think that's just because I use more product.

I grate La Toja into Tabac and its one of my favourites.

Wow these are a lot of positive replies about this product. Sounds like good stuff. I shall be ordering some of it as soon as possible....!
Thanks!

La Toja is so good, I trust on all of my trips.
It is small compact, and gives me great lather in all types of water!

It's my travel soap, together with a Muhle synthetic travel brush.
The two items are really compact and suitable for air travel.

Coming to the soap, it's protective and I like it very much. It smells of clean, I cannot get a dominant note, but I like it.
The post shave is a little bit dry, but with no burns or issues.

I like both the cream and the stick. I've found I don't use creams that often compared to soaps, so my large tube of cream is lasting forever. I squeezed most of it into an empty tub, let it dry age open for a few weeks, and now it's amazing.

It lost about 15-20% of it's weight when ask that extra water in the cream evaporated.

I love it. I have a stick that has lived in my dopp bag for a few years, and it is the only soap I use when traveling.

Here in the States I don't think it's worth the price point because of importation. The price I've seen on Amazon in Spain yes it is, I would buy 12 sticks if I lived there. IMO it's not very slick but it lathers up very easily and has a inoffensive scent. It does contain minerals and salt that make the soap behave like an alumn block which is cool. It helps stop weepers from bleeding in between passes.

La Toja is one of those products that I feel like I'll always have around. I use the stick for business travel (when that was a thing, LOL), and it's the only time I face lather. The cream is in rotation at home too; I use it at least every couple weeks, and most every week to be honest.

I buy the cream from Italian Barber when I am ordering other stuff. Last time I got it for $8 tube, and I got three of them. Much better pricing than Amazon, etc. I haven't bought new sticks in years. I bought a 3-pack from Amazon on sale, I think 3 years ago, and it was something like $12 for three, and I have gone through one and have 3/4 of the second one left.

There is just something about the minerals La Toja contains that agrees with my face. I am someone who doesn't really care for the super-fatty new wave artisan shave soaps. I tend to stick with the traditional products, like Arko, Proraso (both combined w/ Cremo in a super lather), La Toja, etc. on the very affordable end of the spectrum, and MdC, SV and SMN ( which I am currently out of) , etc. on the other end.

Reactions: nav
Amazing soap. One of my all-time favorites. And yes you can get a 3-pack of the sticks for $13 on Amazon. That's 150ml (5oz) worth of top-tier soap for lunch money.

I really like La Toja in the stick form. However, I was just reading in the Spanish blog, which is linked earlier in this thread, that La Toja was purchased by a German company and the soap production was moved to China. While still a good soap, the blog mentioned that earlier tallow production soap from the 1960s is highly sought after.

La fábrica de La Toja cierra sus puertas en Galicia
(The factory of La Toja in galicia has closed). Soap is now not made in Spain.

Last edited:
The lather it produces is fantastic.

It stings my face just a bit, so I stopped using it for that reason, but if it wasn't for that, I'd always have it on hand.

+1. It smells nice and the lather is good, but it burns my face as soon as I lather it up.

If you like shave sticks and/or want to use products from Spain, another good option is the full range from LEA.

I really like La Toja in the stick form. However, I was just reading in the Spanish blog, which is linked earlier in this thread, that La Toja was purchased by a German company and the soap production was moved to China...
Henkel AG is a German company that bought out the company making La Toja. I understand they moved production of the soap to Eastern Europe (Slovakia or Poland). The mineral salts get shipped from Spain to the factory.

The cream is in rotation at home too; I use it at least every couple weeks, and most every week to be honest.

I buy the cream from Italian Barber when I am ordering other stuff. Last time I got it for $8 tube, and I got three of them. Much better pricing than Amazon, etc.

So... $24 for 15 oz of La Toja cream with its great performance and unique scent and properties vs. AOS for 5 oz for $30. I really enjoyed the tubs of AOS I have used, but La Toja is such a good value.

I have never tried La Toja but I have my first stick coming in the mail. I am anxious to see what all the fuss is all about! :)

the stick is my travel soap.. Always performs very well, no matter where i am in the world or what water i use. Highly reconmended. A classic product.

Top Bottom