What's new

La Toja shaving stick reformulation

I think a lot of these reformulations are due to changes in EU cosmetic regulations. They can ban or limit certain ingredients, usually due to health concerns.

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression most of the tallow abandonment reformulations (at least the ones from EU brands that I've seen) were mostly to do with public perception about animal byproducts and the like.

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression most of the tallow abandonment reformulations (at least the ones from EU brands that I've seen) were mostly to do with public perception about animal byproducts and the like.
That's speculation, we don't know that. There are restrictions on tallow in cosmetics in the EU as well, mostly related to the source of the tallow being known and regulated. They don't want downer cattle or fats of unknown origin being used. The concern is public health, not some animal rights issue.

If you're familiar with Euro cuisine, you will know in general people have no problem with consuming meat of all kinds. Vegetarians (or vegans) are a tiny minority.

Last edited:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I'm going on a cruise in October which starts in Barcelona. Does anyone know if it would be advantageous to shop there for La Toja rather than here in the US?

I'm going on a cruise in October which starts in Barcelona. Does anyone know if it would be advantageous to shop there for La Toja rather than here in the US?
La Toja creams ( Classic and Sensitive ) are availables in Spain at 2.20-3.00 €
La Toja soap sticks at 1.30-2.00 €

Also the Lea products.

I also recommend the Nivea cream (Made in Germany) very easy to find in Spain and of great quality and price.(1.39 -2.10 €)

In Barcelona, or Madrid, in the center and in shopping centers you can easily find Druni or Primor perfumeries that have very good prices on La Toja, Lea and Nivea products.

Druni stores at Barcelona

Primor stores at Spain

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
La Toja creams ( Classic and Sensitive ) are availables in Spain at 2.20-3.00 €
La Toja soap sticks at 1.30-2.00 €

Also the Lea products.

I also recommend the Nivea cream (Made in Germany) very easy to find in Spain and of great quality and price.(1.39 -2.10 €)

In Barcelona, or Madrid, in the center and in shopping centers you can easily find Druni or Primor perfumeries that have very good prices on La Toja, Lea and Nivea products.

Druni stores at Barcelona

Primor stores at Spain
Many thanks!

This does not bother me, much. I use the Sensitive cream. I have a stick, but it is not a regular, for me. Unless they have changed the parfum they add, it should still smell about the same, once it is used, I would think. I note that they have added glycerin and that will make the soap slick.

Here's the ingredients:
Aqua(Water, Eau), Stearic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Cocos Nucifera(Coconut) Oil, Glycerin, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Lactate, Sodium Hydroxide, Mineral Salts, Sodium Coco-Sulfate, Sodium PCA, Parfum(Fragance).

It has more water and moisturizers. The glycerin makes it nice and slick. The Sensitive is slicker and has better residual slickness, IMO. That's why I use it. The scent is cleaner, too.

Here are the stick ingredients from the La Toja website (latoja.com):
Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palmitate, Potassium Cocate, Aqua(Water, Eau), Sodium Stearate, Sodium Palmitate, Sodium Cocoate, Glycerin, Coconut Acid, Parfum(Fragance), Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate, Mineral Salts, Limonene, Linalool , Benzyl Alchol, CI 7781(Titanium Dioxide).

Water is lower on the list, but it does contain glycerin. Perhaps the new soap will be slicker and have better residual slickness. All I see is a win.

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
This summer I'm visiting Spain again (3rd time) and am certainly buying the new reformulated sticks, along with other Spanish grooming products. Let's see how the new La Toja behaves. I sincerely hope it's just as great as the previous version, which I love entirely.

I love the way the stick smells. It smells like bathing with pure soap in the ocean. It is nice, clean, and uncluttered. One thing to add is that this soap definitely passes the straight razor test with ease. It has great residual slickness and is a lather monster. La Toja is one of my top two soaps and I like it better than almost all of the artisan soaps I've tried. Great stuff.

This summer I'm visiting Spain again (3rd time) and am certainly buying the new reformulated sticks, along with other Spanish grooming products. Let's see how the new La Toja behaves. I sincerely hope it's just as great as the previous version, which I love entirely.
It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on the old version versus the new version

Top Bottom