What's new

La Toja shaving stick reformulation

To @Marco and all other La Toja friends out there :
Schwarzkopf & Henkel cosmetics division have taken the decision to reformulate this beloved vfm soap. :concern:

Ingredients before reformulation :
Potassium Stearate, Potassium Cocoate, Potassium Palmitate, Sodium Stearate, Aqua, Glycerin, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Palmitate, Coconut Acid, Parfum, Mineral Salts, Coumarin, Limonene, Linalool, Butylphenyl Mehylpropional, Tetrasodium EDTA, Litro Sodium Etidronate- Cl 77891

After reformulation :
Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palmate, Potassium Cocoate, Aqua, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Palmitate, Sodium Cocoate, Glycerin, Coconut Acid, Parfum, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate, Mineral Salts, Limonene, Linalool, Benzyl Alcohol, CI 77891.

On the left side is the old pre-reformulated soap

IMG_20220805_133330.jpg

You can see the difference between the ingredients (left side is the new one in the pic below)
IMG_20220805_133403.jpg

The good thing:
They ditched some of the "bad stuff" , edta and lilial (Mehylpropional) -mainly due to EU mandatory orders regarding these ingredients in cosmetics.

The bad thing:
Scent has definitely changed , immediately as i sniffed the new soap i knew that something wasn't right. Thus i have stored the soaps in zip-locked backs for 24 hours to be sure.

As for the shave: stay tuned (i have to check Ach Brito Mogno shaving bar because - you guessed - reformulation).:eek2:

I currently have about 10 sticks in stock, so I'm going to be OK for a long, long time (I love this version).

Thank you for the update, Sir.
I am fully stocked with the old one too (i have about 15- plus a manantiales).
One of the best soaps out there with a lovely Mediterranean cleanness-lavender scent.
Tantissimi auguri Marco!

This is my travel soap, so I'll be waiting for your review with worms on my tongue.
I'll put it to the test tomorrow, i hope that it holds up to the old one.

Be aware that due to mandatory reasons effective from march 2022 there will be a lot of reformulations in soaps , after shaves and colognes currently produced in EU, so brace yourselves and keep an eye at your stock pile. :001_smile

To @Marco and all other La Toja friends out there :
Schwarzkopf & Henkel cosmetics division have taken the decision to reformulate this beloved vfm soap. :concern:

Ingredients before reformulation :
Potassium Stearate, Potassium Cocoate, Potassium Palmitate, Sodium Stearate, Aqua, Glycerin, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Palmitate, Coconut Acid, Parfum, Mineral Salts, Coumarin, Limonene, Linalool, Butylphenyl Mehylpropional, Tetrasodium EDTA, Litro Sodium Etidronate- Cl 77891

After reformulation :
Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palmate, Potassium Cocoate, Aqua, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Palmitate, Sodium Cocoate, Glycerin, Coconut Acid, Parfum, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate, Mineral Salts, Limonene, Linalool, Benzyl Alcohol, CI 77891.

On the left side is the old pre-reformulated soap

View attachment 1499619

You can see the difference between the ingredients (left side is the new one in the pic below)
View attachment 1499620

As for the shave: stay tuned
:popc:

This is a total shame. The mineral salts have even dropped down on the IL.
They also added a different salt (sodium chloride which is a common base salt in unlimited abundance) - probably due to "cost effectiveness"...

Sodium Chloride = table salt. This seems to be the main difference: removed mineral salts and compensated with common and cheaper salt. Of course, scent is different based on the different allergens at the end.

New soap should still perform well since most of the ingredients are the same with small variations in their order.

Last edited:
I’m no chemist but Sodium Chloride is found in many harder soaps as well, such as Martin de Candre for example, which I believe is for saponification purposes. The mineral salts are a totally different thing.

Reactions: nav
I purchased 4 sticks about a month ago. I had to go back and check the ingredients. It is, in fact, the older formulation. That's good. I'll have plenty of opportunities to try the newer stuff if the reviews are positive.
Thanks for the "heads up" though, @Akis!

I got a stick recently and just checked to see which version I received. It looks like I got the new version.

In the past, LaToja has always caused some minor stinging on my face, but the lather was always so good that I put up with it, but didn't replace it once it was gone. Recently I had the urge to try it again, so ordered another stick. I've only tried the new stick once so far and didn't notice that same stinging. I'm now assuming the lack of stinging is due to the new formula. The lather quality was still really good.

Looks like the older stuff is not in stock at any of the usual sources. That's a shame. I would have liked one more stick of the old stuff. I have one barely started so a second would do me well as I have so much other software on hand.

I vaguely recall from one of my university chemistry classes where we briefly looked at soap making and the focus was actually why salt was added. I think it allowed you to produce slightly more soap.

Top Bottom