What's new

La Toja shaving stick first impression

It's an off-putting scent not unlike stale tobacco. Not sure if I'll actually want to use it as it's not the sort of scent that appeals to me. Am I missing something?

That's your opinion based on your personal, unique impression - and it's just as valid as mine or anybody else's. Having said that, I have a very different opinion. To me it smells fresh, floral, mossy, woodsy, and salty. Like standing where a great forest meets the ocean at sunup with a steady breeze blowing down the coast. The good news is that if you don't like it, there are about a gazillion other great smelling soaps from which to choose!

That's your opinion based on your personal, unique impression - and it's just as valid as mine or anybody else's. Having said that, I have a very different opinion. To me it smells fresh, floral, mossy, woodsy, and salty. Like standing where a great forest meets the ocean at sunup with a steady breeze blowing down the coast. The good news is that if you don't like it, there are about a gazillion other great smelling soaps from which to choose!

Right and I've got about 20 of them. As I said, it was my impression. Please don't feel offended or defensive.

I think it smells like freshly cleaned linen. And it's performance is among the best. In fact many guys have said they think it is the best on other threads.

Just took another whiff. I get stale tobacco. My wife said soap. My son said bathroom. I'll probably give it to whoever wants to pay shipping.

Nice offer. I really like La Toja in all its forms. I can easily understand how some may not enjoy the scent, however. I'd take you up on the offer, but I have so much software. My wife describes the scent the same way your wife describes it, BTW!

I always think baby powder when I smell it. I don't hate it, but I certainly don't love it, either. It does perform as good as anything I've tried, so I've kept it around and use it occasionally.

I like the scent and especially the performance.

proxy.php

I just spent a vacation week with the La Toja stick. LOTH thought the smell was 'shaving soap.'

For me the scent was mild soap and salt. The lather was just fine (used my new Wee Scott). YMMV for sure!

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
La Toja has a different scent than most soaps, but I like it. The fact that it's a great soap just adds to its goodness. :thumbsup:

I shaved today with La Toja for the first time in quite a while. I had only shaved with it once or twice before and I remember it made my skin tingle a bit... It wasn't an unbearable burn but it was definitely unpleasant.

I was glad to discover that there was no tingling whatsoever during today's shave so I was able to fully appreciate the performance of this soap, which is indeed very good!

I'm not too keen on the scent though. It's definitely unique but not that pleasant to my nose. Believe it or not, I prefer the Arko scent over La Toja.

I also recently discovered the Speick stick, which I would highly recommend if you like La Toja. To me, Speick is slightly better in every category except perhaps for packaging.

I would take it off your hands but I already have plenty of La Toja. It's one of the easiest lathering soaps out there and I like the convenience of the stick and container.

You would really hate the scent of their amazing shaving cream, so if you have any tubes of that you should give that to someone. I just ordered a bunch from Spain so I'm good for now. I got the bath soap and body wash too!

...I'm not too keen on the scent though. It's definitely unique but not that pleasant to my nose. Believe it or not, I prefer the Arko scent over La Toja.

I also recently discovered the Speick stick, which I would highly recommend if you like La Toja. To me, Speick is slightly better in every category except perhaps for packaging.

I prefer the scent of Arko far more than the La Toja and I LOVE Speick which smells nothing like the stale tobacco scent of L Toja. I mill it into a small dish vs. using it as a stick. Wonderful stuff.

If I didn't have a stick of it already I'd take your up your offer but I need more shaving soap like i need a hole in the head. La toja for me smells like salt water and some sort of tropical scented soap. It's not quite just a soap smell it has more personality to it for sure. Plus the quality is very nice, I wish we had it here in the states.

La Toja gave me incredible shavings. I am reluctant to rank it against others because, while I have been in DE shaving lest than 1 year, I have been shaving daily with La Toja stick for maybe 20 years and I can make it lather just staring at it. I love the scent and performance, and I will keep using it until the end of my days, but now I also use other soaps xD

I think it's the best performing soap bar none. But the best thing about it IMO is the scent. It has a fresh & clean scent. That could be it's most out-standing feature.

Top Bottom