What's new

La Toja Shaving Creams Discontinued

One of my very first posts on B&B was what I should get in my starter kit and someone recommended La Toja shave stick. So I got it and I love it! I love it so much I made sure to get my son one, too! Now I just placed my order and got a tube on Amazon. But you better hurry! Only 3 tubes left!

I have some Geo F. Trumper cream in a tub that I bought in 2005, or so, that I use every now and then. It's still quite moist and works just like the day I bought it. I do store it in a plastic Ziplock bag.
Is it stored in the fridge or at room temperature?

Room temperature. My storage method's nothing special. I just have it in a bathroom cabinet, under my sink, in a Ziplock plastic bag. I originally had no intention of keeping it that long, so for the first 6 or 7 years or so, it wasn't even in the Ziplock bag. It's lasted quite well.
Thank you for the reply. I also stored mines at room temperature and so far they lasted a few years, although I did not keep something for more than ~7 years. I have a suspicion that most of them will be fine for many many years if they are not contaminated or stored in improper conditions. I recently did move some of them in the fridge, but those are mostly the ones which I know for sure I won't need for the next 5 years.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Just for the record, I have Old Spice and Godrej shaving cream tubes that are 14 years old that I bought on a trip to India in 2009 that still work absolutely perfectly.
They have been stored in a box in a closet since I got them.
Phil, I suppose these creams are hermetically sealed with a foil under the cap? Right?

I have just stumbled on this thread. How sad to see La Toja disappearing. I had been looking forward to picking some up next time I got out to Malaga or Seville - it's been too long!

One of the saddest things about all these great old "everyman" products disappearing is that it means new shavers will never get to try them and realise that great performing shave products don't have to cost the earth - I could probably fill a sheet of A4 with the names of all the great value, great performing soaps and creams that have disappeared in the past decade. I think that the fashion for artisan stuff amongst wet shavers may mean that, even though wet shaving as a whole is growing, the sales of the unpretentious traditional products are suffering.

Me, I will continue to use traditional European products as long as there are still some around. Thank the Lord for Palmolive cream, LEA and Proraso, and long may they continue!

La Toja out performs many of those old shaving soaps and creams. It is indeed sad that the creams are gone. The sticks are still around, however.

I blame it on poor marketing. I had never heard of La Toja and of what a good performer it was even though I've been shaving since Man first set foot on the moon. It was recommended to me by my local brick and mortar, which sells many and varied brands of shaving soaps and creams. He was right about it and I was hooked.

I come back here after 3 year break and find out lot of my favorites are discontinued or changed formula. I love the stick and cream. guess when I finish last tube and 1/3 that'll be it. cella and mdc better not go away.

It is indeed sad that the creams are gone.
I wish I had found out about the cream sooner and that it was being discontinued sooner. Absolutely love the cream. If I had known about it being discontinued sooner I would’ve stocked up on it.

I come back here after 3 year break
Welcome back

find out lot of my favorites are discontinued or changed formula
I’m kind of sad about some of these changes especially the La Toja cream being discontinued and the reformulation of MWF

cella and mdc better not go away.
I don’t see either of them going anywhere anytime soon. Hopefully the makers of Cella and the other traditional Italian tallow soaps are grandfathered into the new EU regulations to remain the same. MdC shouldn’t need to change anything to remain in compliance

The Greta Thunbergs of this world are saving us from terrible consequences of our actions. Never mind that all of the scientific evidence is to the contrary, we should feel secure that they know what is best for us. I mean, surely teenagers with no life experience and no education beyond middle school or a bit more, know more than scientists and all politicians just have to listen to them.

I wish I had found out about the cream sooner and that it was being discontinued sooner. Absolutely love the cream. If I had known about it being discontinued sooner I would’ve stocked up on it.

Welcome back

I’m kind of sad about some of these changes especially the La Toja cream being discontinued and the reformulation of MWF

I don’t see either of them going anywhere anytime soon. Hopefully the makers of Cella and the other traditional Italian tallow soaps are grandfathered into the new EU regulations to remain the same. MdC shouldn’t need to change anything to remain in compliance
oh is it some eu law requiring changes? I wouldn't have thought la toja would go away either though. i dont know much about how traditional shaving sales in Europe. mean its all but dead in usa for big brands, perhaps its declining to similar point in Europe? godjre also closed up in India where from my understanding De shaving is popular due to price and mass poor people. so if they struggling there I could only imagine it must be bad in Europe, hence la toja stopping. is De Vergulde hand still around? I think they claimed to be oldest shave soap still in production. I liked it but it hard to get in usa and mine has gone bad.

oh is it some eu law requiring changes? I wouldn't have thought la toja would go away either though. i dont know much about how traditional shaving sales in Europe. mean its all but dead in usa for big brands, perhaps its declining to similar point in Europe? godjre also closed up in India where from my understanding De shaving is popular due to price and mass poor people. so if they struggling there I could only imagine it must be bad in Europe, hence la toja stopping. is De Vergulde hand still around? I think they claimed to be oldest shave soap still in production. I liked it but it hard to get in usa and mine has gone bad.
From what I’ve read certain lower grades of tallow have been disallowed in the making of soaps and cosmetics. It seems that only “food” grade tallow can be used under the new guidelines. As to shaving trends in Europe traditional wet shaving is on the decline but not as quickly as in the US. As far as I know De Vergulde Hand is still available but you might have to order it online from a European vendor. La Toja is still available as a hard soap in stick form but has recently been reformulated (not sure how recently though). Godrej might have been facing the same issues as Williams. Just not selling the amount of product needed to justify continuing production but not sure on that one either

...La Toja is still available as a hard soap in stick form but has recently been reformulated (not sure how recently though)...

The La Toja stick has been reformulated awhile back, but it seems to be mostly fragrance and color. Most of the complaints are the scent is changed for the worse. The ingredients are pretty much the same with one ingredient moved down in the ordered list of ingredients. There's less of the mineral salts.

From what I’ve read certain lower grades of tallow have been disallowed in the making of soaps and cosmetics. It seems that only “food” grade tallow can be used under the new guidelines. As to shaving trends in Europe traditional wet shaving is on the decline but not as quickly as in the US. As far as I know De Vergulde Hand is still available but you might have to order it online from a European vendor. La Toja is still available as a hard soap in stick form but has recently been reformulated (not sure how recently though). Godrej might have been facing the same issues as Williams. Just not selling the amount of product needed to justify continuing production but not sure on that one either
I'm guessing that would raise cost but why not just raise price. shame. good thing I have 2 things of tabac. MWF never worked good for me. I have 3/4 stick of la toja, seems they did it in 2022. I might try the new stick and see if it's any good. cream was real loss. I read some company is making Godrej soap even with key in bottom. I got two pucks of it though. it preforms about same as ark soap not great, not terrible. considering its small ingredients and price its good soap. I think I tend to prefer mass produced soaps over artisans. not to say there aren't good artisan soaps but they tend to be lot more costly and not last as long. I dont think any do milled soaps do to costs, similar with creams. I always assumed the soaps would be around as they've been around for hundreds of years for some.

The La Toja stick has been reformulated awhile back, but it seems to be mostly fragrance and color. Most of the complaints are the scent is changed for the worse. The ingredients are pretty much the same with one ingredient moved down in the ordered list of ingredients. There's less of the mineral salts.
mineral salts are what was nice and I think gave it the scent. I love scent of stick and cream if it's worse that's deal breaker. I can get other soaps in scents I like.

mineral salts are what was nice and I think gave it the scent. I love scent of stick and cream if it's worse that's deal breaker. I can get other soaps in scents I like.

I still have some of the old sticks to use up. I'm not sure how big a change there is, but it's not expensive to try one of the new ones. I've just got plenty of soap for now.

Top Bottom