What's new

La Toja Shaving Creams Discontinued

It might be that they have another brand that they own and La Toja was competing with it so they are putting it out of business. Coca Cola bought up a lot of other soft drink companies and put them all out of business. Pabst did that with Stroh's.

@Marco So you're going to buy all that up, taking it off the market and surely you'll use it all before it expires in 2 years, maybe pushing to 3 before it's potential garbage?

Buying all of that certainly instantly sweetens the vendors' bottom lines and clears inventory, but cuts out a lot of other people from an opportunity to enjoy a discontinued product.

Thanks!

I'm very sorry to learn that La Toja are discontinuing their shave cream. I have very fond memories of working with them after Gillette bought the company. I visited their plant in Spain a number of times and their technical people came over to work with us on occasion. I was impressed by the depth of their understanding of shave cream technology.

@Marco So you're going to buy all that up, taking it off the market and surely you'll use it all before it expires in 2 years, maybe pushing to 3 before it's potential garbage?

Buying all of that certainly instantly sweetens the vendors' bottom lines and clears inventory, but cuts out a lot of other people from an opportunity to enjoy a discontinued product.

Thanks!
It's soap, it doesn't really go bad...and if the cream is hermetically sealed it will last many years before drying up. I just finished a cream at least 5 years old today.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!

Thanks!
I think that so long as you yourself can buy the soap, someone else's stocking up should not affect you. If anything, knowing that there's a limited supply should lead you to stock up yourself yourself while you still can. As for the take - "instantly sweetens the vendors' bottom lines" - I have never understood why doing good for some other party negates the good you do yourself by buying. Commerce, by definition, has to be mutually beneficial to be possible in the first place. And interestingly, the common approach by vendors is to discount prices on discontinued products to clear inventory space for new products.

Regarding expiration, soaps and creams can have their lifetime extended with basic proper storage.

Finally, as to hoarding... we are almost all inclined towards shaving acquisition disorders. If you are able to restrain more credit to you. But, given the forum, it may be a lost cause.

yeah, that's fair. My apologies.

Surely the members of all the online shaving forums combined are but a small percentage of the actual shaving products global consumer-base. Probably one person buying two dozen or two hundred of a product isn't going to make a dent in or deter the mainstay of the public from access.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I think that so long as you yourself can buy the soap, someone else's stocking up should not affect you. If anything, knowing that there's a limited supply should lead you to stock up yourself yourself while you still can. As for the take - "instantly sweetens the vendors' bottom lines" - I have never understood why doing good for some other party negates the good you do yourself by buying. Commerce, by definition, has to be mutually beneficial to be possible in the first place. And interestingly, the common approach by vendors is to discount prices on discontinued products to clear inventory space for new products.

Regarding expiration, soaps and creams can have their lifetime extended with basic proper storage.

Finally, as to hoarding... we are almost all inclined towards shaving acquisition disorders. If you are able to restrain more credit to you. But, given the forum, it may be a lost cause.
Wise words written by a wise man. Thank you very much, my friend.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

Thanks!

Marco is one of the most selfless, decent folks I have ever had the pleasure of being associated with. Any implication that he is somehow being greedy or self centered is so far off base as to be the epitome of absurdity.

yeah, that's fair. My apologies.

Surely the members of all the online shaving forums combined are but a small percentage of the actual shaving products global consumer-base. Probably one person buying two dozen or two hundred of a product isn't going to make a dent in or deter the mainstay of the public from access.

Thank you. It takes a man of decency and integrity to apologize in public for what is said in public. It's appreciated!

To all the other members who pointed out their perspective on the point, thank you, but mostly for doing so in a gentlemanly and civil manner that would make Marco, the consummate gentleman, proud.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Wise words written by a wise man. Thank you very much, my friend.

You are quite welcome. To be perfectly honest, I did not know it was you until you replied. I am still so used to seeing your name accompanied by that barber from Sweeney Todd!

Marco is one of the most selfless, decent folks I have ever had the pleasure of being associated with. Any implication that he is somehow being greedy or self centered is so far off base as to be the epitome of absurdity.

Thank you. It takes a man of decency and integrity to apologize in public for what is said in public. It's appreciated!

To all the other members who pointed out their perspective on the point, thank you, but mostly for doing so in a gentlemanly and civil manner that would make Marco, the consummate gentleman, proud.
Indeed, praises to Marco, and for that matter, to steelwindmachine for apologizing directly. That is the conduct of a man.

Honestly this year is really turning out to be a tough one for wet shaving. I already have acquired two soaps from artisans that quit this year. (i don't really need more soap. SAD is real). I have decided if I get any more soap I will support the ones that are in business.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy

A huge THANKS for the beautiful words spent upon myself, Phil. And thank you kindly for handling these delicate situations with your usual elegance and style, which I have always deeply admired and respected. Very truly yours, Marco.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
You are quite welcome. To be perfectly honest, I did not know it was you until you replied. I am still so used to seeing your name accompanied by that barber from Sweeney Todd!

Indeed, praises to Marco, and for that matter, to steelwindmachine for apologizing directly. That is the conduct of a man.
Grazie di cuore, amico mio.

Sweeney Todd? It might come back...

After hearing the terrible news about La Toja cream on Tuesday, I went and ordered a tube of cream and a shave stick. It arrived today, this will add to the cream, stick and splash I got in Spain last year. After using this line for many years its sad to see such a great product discontinued.

20230504_170031.jpg

I am quite afraid that LEA could be the next one leaving wet-shaving market.

Call me an optimist, but it seams like Lea (check here: History LEA Products - https://www.productoslea.com/en/history/) is a company that has deep roots in Spain and for whom shaving products form part of their core business.

That is unlike La Toja, which after the acqusition by Henkel became part of a conglomerate headquartered in some other country for which shaving products are only a minuscule part of their business that is easily jettisoned if not profitable enough.

Lea always used to play second fiddle to La Toja in my den, but now it seems it might take La Toja’s place.

B.

This is sad news indeed. When palmolive sticks were discontinued, I spent a lot of money sourcing and stocking up on 20+ sticks. They are cheap in UK, but shipping them to India compounds the price quite a bit.
Since then I’ve used 3 la toja products to completion and for me they just work much better. Later this year I was planning on seeing if anyone is interested in trading my Palmolive sticks for their la toja, but with this news I doubt anyone will part with stick or cream.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Call me an optimist, but it seams like Lea (check here: History LEA Products - https://www.productoslea.com/en/history/) is a company that has deep roots in Spain and for whom shaving products form part of their core business.

That is unlike La Toja, which after the acqusition by Henkel became part of a conglomerate headquartered in some other country for which shaving products are only a minuscule part of their business that is easily jettisoned if not profitable enough.

Lea always used to play second fiddle to La Toja in my den, but now it seems it might take La Toja’s place.

B.
Dear Sir, I very much agree with what you've just declared above. Lea is a TRUE Spanish brand, founded in 1823. And with exactly 200 years of history it really seems unlikely that they would discontinue any product in their line. Their shaving soap is good and their creams are good, too. But the drawback is, at least for me, that they've never reached the excellence of La Toja. For me La Toja soap and creams are just superior performers in every way and for this reason I doubt that Lea will ever replace La Toja in my den. As always, IMHO.

P.S. How wonderful it would have been if Lascaray S.A., manufacturer of Lea, had purchased the La Toja brand... They would have kept the ownership in Spain and kept alive the entire La Toja line, including the marvellous Manantiales soap.

Top Bottom