What's new

La Toja Shaving Creams Discontinued

Based on a discussion about the reformulated La Toja shaving stick in the shaving soap forum, I contacted Henkel Iberica S.A. and asked why the La Toja shavings creams are disappearing from more and more stores.

Henkel Iberica replied that “In relation to your comments we regret to inform you that we currently no longer sell La Toja shaving cream, neither Classic nor Sensitive Skin.”

There may still be a few tubes of the Sensitive and Classic shaving creams available, but their won’t be any new stock.
Sad, I really liked them with their slight saltiness from the mineral salts and they performed very well too.

B.

Last edited:
I feel sad, it is one of my favorites shaving creams with excellent performance. I will have to buy more than five tubes after hearing these news.

La Toja was a good shaving cream, but what made it unique was the slight saltiness from the mineral salts that it contained. For that I can’t think of any substitute. :confused1

For shaving creams from Spain, Lea springs to mind, the respectable Myrsol shaving creams (sold as cream, but more of a croap-like consistency).
From next door Portugal, Lavanda, the excellent Antiga Barbearia do Bairro shaving creams and soaps, and of course Musgo Real, if you don’t mind paying the price.

And for the low-cost shaving segment in general, Palmolive shaving creams.

Lea is probably the closest, setting saltiness aside, the cushion may not quite on the same level as La Toja creams and consistency is a bit thinner, but overall Lea performs well.
Available in 150 mg as sensitive or mentholated cream and also in a 250 mg “Professional” tube.
In parallel, Lea produces the quite respectable Lea Classic line (shaving cream in tube, shaving soap, shaving cream in a tin, after-shave lotion) that has light but pleasant cedar and menthol notes.

Epsilon (the in-house brand of Gifts & Care from Spain) has been quite creative in quality shaving products, some of which are designed to resemble products that have disappeared (e.g. Floïd Blue). They also do quality shaving soaps (no creams) and might be interested in picking up where La Toja left off if they should sense enough demand.

But truth be told, La Toja was unique and I just can’t think of an alternative that can fully replace it, which makes this loss so sad.

B.

Last edited:
Very sad , it can only mean sales were poor, no company discontinues a money maker ... Giftsandcare is sold out of ALL La Toja products , perhaps the manufacturer is dumping the entire brand . EBAY has a couple of vendors with creams and sticks, now is the time, they won't last ....

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
But truth be told, La Toja was unique and I just can’t think of an alternative that can fully replace it, which makes this loss so sad.
This is the very sad truth, my friends.

From a marketing standpoint I really do not understand why the company has discontinued a traditional much loved best-seller that has been around forever. Has anyone here questioned the company on this decision?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I sent an inquiry, but haven't received a response.
Several years ago I sent them an inquiry regarding the sudden removal from the market of the magnificent La Toja Manantiales. No response either.

While La Toja is unquestionably one of the very best wet shaving brands in the world, the company's managment and customer service is quite disappointing, honestly.

My local shop says they can no longer order La Toja cream or stick. Odd. That might be why he sold me an older recipe on the stick. It was all he could get.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Sad news. I just ordered a backup tube $11
What’s the collective wisdom regarding the cream v. the stick?
Personally I’ve had difficulty using the stick with the foil wrapping but was just thinking (definitely not an original idea) about mashing the stick into a jar.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Sad news. I just ordered a backup tube $11
What’s the collective wisdom regarding the cream v. the stick?
Personally I’ve had difficulty using the stick with the foil wrapping but was just thinking (definitely not an original idea) about mashing the stick into a jar.
I use plenty of sticks with foil but for some reason never got on with the La Toja stick foil so simply removed it. I first tried La Toja products on holiday in Madeira early in 2023; I really like the post shave balms but the stick, a later reformulation I assume, seemed very average to me and I will not be buying it again, it might end up as shower soap to be honest.

If anyone is interested in the original reply (followed by a translation) from Henkel Iberica, owner of the La Toja trademark, that I quoted in the first post of this thread:

Buenos días,
Gracias por contactar con Henkel.

En relación a sus comentarios lamentamos informarle que actualmente ya no comercializamos la crema de afeitar de La Toja, ni Classic ni piel sensible. Disponemos del jabón en barra y de la espuma.
Esperamos que esta información pueda serle útil. Para cualquier clarificación o información adicional de nuestros productos, también estamos a su disposición en el número de teléfono gratuito de Atención al Consumidor 900 181 673, de lunes a viernes de 8:30h a 21h.

Reciba un cordial saludo.

Servicio de Atención al Consumidor de Cosmética y Cuidado Personal

Translated as:

Good morning,
Thank you for contacting Henkel.

In relation to your comments we regret to inform you that we currently no longer sell La Toja shaving cream, neither Classic nor Sensitive Skin. We do have the bar soap and foam available.
We hope you find this information useful. For any clarification or additional information about our products, we are also at your disposal on the free Consumer Service telephone number 900 181 673, Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 9 pm.

Yours sincerely.

Cosmetics and Personal Care Consumer Attention Service

B.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Please, give a look at the below vintage advertisements. La Toja almost always showed together the shaving soap (jabon de afeitar) and the - now discontinued - shaving cream (crema de afeitar).

28d6534b1b82910f233e0d8f0d50d723.jpg

Screenshot_20230403_092436_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20230326_102136_Google.jpg

jabon-afeitar-latoja-barberia-lifestyle-elhype.jpg

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
If anyone is interested in the original reply (followed by a translation) from Henkel Iberica, owner of the La Toja trademark, that I quoted in the first post of this thread:

Buenos días,
Gracias por contactar con Henkel.

En relación a sus comentarios lamentamos informarle que actualmente ya no comercializamos la crema de afeitar de La Toja, ni Classic ni piel sensible. Disponemos del jabón en barra y de la espuma.
Esperamos que esta información pueda serle útil. Para cualquier clarificación o información adicional de nuestros productos, también estamos a su disposición en el número de teléfono gratuito de Atención al Consumidor 900 181 673, de lunes a viernes de 8:30h a 21h.

Reciba un cordial saludo.

Servicio de Atención al Consumidor de Cosmética y Cuidado Personal

Translated as:

Good morning,
Thank you for contacting Henkel.

In relation to your comments we regret to inform you that we currently no longer sell La Toja shaving cream, neither Classic nor Sensitive Skin. We do have the bar soap and foam available.
We hope you find this information useful. For any clarification or additional information about our products, we are also at your disposal on the free Consumer Service telephone number 900 181 673, Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 9 pm.

Yours sincerely.

Cosmetics and Personal Care Consumer Attention Service

B.
Um no this info isn’t useful lol
😂
It’s only useful in that it prompted me to buy a tube of cream I don’t need 😝

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
This is the very sad truth, my friends.

From a marketing standpoint I really do not understand why the company has discontinued a traditional much loved best-seller that has been around forever. Has anyone here questioned the company on this decision?
I can only presume that the low or negative margins didn't support the maintenance of the product category. If a company emphasizes newer, more fashionable product lines in advertisement, their other, traditional lines can suffer. Sadly rather than resuscitate an old brand the modern trend is just to discontinue.
Several years ago I sent them an inquiry regarding the sudden removal from the market of the magnificent La Toja Manantiales. No response either.

While La Toja is unquestionably one of the very best wet shaving brands in the world, the company's managment and customer service is quite disappointing, honestly.
Loved that soap.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I’m afraid that if the cream is gone, the stick is not far behind, like Palmolive and so many more. Stock up on the stick now if you like it.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I’m afraid that if the cream is gone, the stick is not far behind, like Palmolive and so many more. Stock up on the stick now if you like it.
That is what I also believe. A few years ago they removed the Manantiales soap, now both creams and the splash. I wouldn't be surprised at all if La Toja remains with the canned foam only. How painful it is to see a glorious company crumbling.

Top Bottom