What's new

La Toja could be the best soap of all, period.

Shaved with my Tabac stick today, and really missed the end result from my La Toja stick a few days ago, which was super close and comfortable. One thing I have noticed about La Toja, if it's mashed into a bowl and loaded that way, it becomes a completely different animal altogether, I have no idea why. I get burning and irritation, even with minimal loading and ideal looking and feeling lather. I repeat this process at random intervals to make sure it's not a fluke, and it's not. Truly puzzling to me, but since I've gotten really good at using shave sticks as intended, not a big deal, just wanted to voice my experience here.

La Toja shave stick is a top-tier soap as far as I'm concerned, assuming it's used in stick form of course, I love it.

Shaved with my Tabac stick today, and really missed the end result from my La Toja stick a few days ago, which was super close and comfortable. One thing I have noticed about La Toja, if it's mashed into a bowl and loaded that way, it becomes a completely different animal altogether, I have no idea why. I get burning and irritation, even with minimal loading and ideal looking and feeling lather. I repeat this process at random intervals to make sure it's not a fluke, and it's not. Truly puzzling to me, but since I've gotten really good at using shave sticks as intended, not a big deal, just wanted to voice my experience here.

La Toja shave stick is a top-tier soap as far as I'm concerned, assuming it's used in stick form of course, I love it.

A shave stick is the best way to make lather, IMO.

What do I think? Well, for anyone paying attention, I think that they’d have to say that you have started so many threads here claiming that a particular soap (or bowl, etc) is “the best”, that your claims really lack any credibility.
He hasn't done anything wrong or broken any rules. This forum is a public domain and he can post threads saying whatever he likes within the confines of the topic and rules, regardless of what he may or may not have posted in the past.

So what if he used to think something else was the best? He's excited about an experience he had and he's trying to share the experience with us, which is among the intended purposes of this forum. It's unfortunate and unimpressive that he cannot do so without negative reprisal.

I use mine exclusively mashed in a bowl. No problem whatsoever

Right, I'm not asking WHAT you judged it on, I'm asking HOW you judged it. It appears to me you're making objective statements ("it's the best") based on highly subjective criteria (e.g. face feel, scent).

sir, this is a post about a shaving soap. No need to make such a big deal out of a gentleman’s opinion.
To answer your question on how he judged it, I’d guess by shaving hair off his face. Hopefully not by eating the soap or the lather, but who knows

So, I purchased a stick of La Toja and used it for the first time this week. I found comments on other threads and a suggestion from Marco to use a "super lathering" technique; i.e., apply to the face and also to the brush. It was a great performer - nice slick, thick lather, and the post shave felt great as well. Scent was light - not overpowering or off-putting. I would describe it as a light soapy, floral scent.

Is it the best? I'm not sure I can say that about any soap or cream. Is it in the top tier - probably, but I need to put some more shaves under my belt to say that for sure. That said, my first impression was very good.

The La Toja cream is also quite good. 😎
Have a tube of the red. Nice lather, easy to build, but zero protection. AS splash burned like nothing else after shaving with this stuff. A Tech with an Astra SP for pete's sakes, about as mild as it gets. A waste of money and time. Until yesterday.

Thinking about this for a bit it's La Toja, can't be that bad. Maybe I'm running it dry fooled by the copious, effortless lather. Seems to be common with good soaps, MdC for instance. Did I, an habitual sheen dude, fall into the trap. Paying attention hydrated it up to a nice sheen and had, well an exceptional La Toja-esque shave. Slick, protective, clean, neutral PSF. Beautiful! A fine, fine cream.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Have a tube of the red. Nice lather, easy to build, but zero protection. AS splash burned like nothing else after shaving with this stuff. A Tech with an Astra SP for pete's sakes, about as mild as it gets. A waste of money and time. Until yesterday.

Thinking about this for a bit it's La Toja, can't be that bad. Maybe I'm running it dry fooled by the copious, effortless lather. Seems to be common with good soaps, MdC for instance. Did I, an habitual sheen dude, fall into the trap. Paying attention hydrated it up to a nice sheen and had, well an exceptional La Toja-esque shave. Slick, protective, clean, neutral PSF. Beautiful! A fine, fine cream.
Took me 10 years to figure that out with Arko. I'd have a Santa beard and a lousy shave. As we'd say back in Southie, ya needa adda lotta wotta.

When i used La Toja i remember thinking it was exceptional lather. Maybe the best of all. But i could not get past the smell. It just bothered me. Smelled like an ash tray to me.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Excellent point for anyone getting a less than optimal shave from their soap/cream. 👍

I find La Toja uses about the same amount of water to soap ratio as most other soaps. Both the stick and the cream perform just great.

Top Bottom