What's new

La Lune Special Stone...Anybody got one?

Got a new one on the way, will be interesting to compare it to my vintage "extra fine"

I would be interested in hearing your findings as they marked them extra fine, which seems to imply there were different grades in quality. Which in turns make me wonder were these new ones stand if that is the case.

Water only, after few laps you feel stone giving up mini slurry ,

I can't imagine these stones giving up any slurry from water only unless they are VERY different from the vintage ones.

"I would be interested in hearing your findings as they marked them extra fine, which seems to imply there were different grades in quality. Which in turns make me wonder were these new ones stand if that is the case."

There were a few grades from fine to very fine to extra fine and I think Extra Extra.
I have a vintage Extra and it would never give a slurry unless you were trying hard to get it.

My curiosity exactly, I have seen vintages marked as "Fine" and "Extra Fine" as well as un-marked. I imagine as with other natural stones every one is somewhat unique.
It will be nice to have a little more real estate to hone on, my vintage is only 4.74" long.

Just had another shave, 8 -10 laps prior to shave, water only,,,,, this may be my preferred method
8x2.5 stone, shave was excellent,,
8-10 laps, yielded no slurry but could start feeling rock giving it up, very thin but there

This method added sharpness to the smoothness
I removed my sticker and use both sides,,the side sticker removed has light color corner, love using this side,,,its more smoother than other side
Last pic lune next to a Shobu Mizu Asagi
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

He now has the same vid up in English on his site.
Not sure I understand the reason for using a LaLune as a Toishi to use w/nagura, I suppose it's an interesting experiment.
If I chose to try that I would have finished on the LaLune with water + a drop of soap or glycerin.

Just had another shave, 8 -10 laps prior to shave, water only,,,,, this may be my preferred method
8x2.5 stone, shave was excellent,,
8-10 laps, yielded no slurry but could start feeling rock giving it up, very thin but there

This method added sharpness to the smoothness
I removed my sticker and use both sides,,the side sticker removed has light color corner, love using this side,,,its more smoother than other side
Last pic lune next to a Shobu Mizu Asagi
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
Did you add another 8-10 to the original for around 16-20 strokes total?

I found 15-16 strokes to be the sweet spot spot with Smiths.
I just honed a couple with Norton honing oil which is just a light odorless mineral oil and unlike Smiths or glycerin the edge doesn’t seem to come apart with more than 20 strokes and looks much cleaner. I’ll give my results in a day or two after shaving with the edges.

I found 15-16 strokes to be the sweet spot spot with Smiths.
I just honed a couple with Norton honing oil which is just a light odorless mineral oil and unlike Smiths or glycerin the edge doesn’t seem to come apart with more than 20 strokes and looks much cleaner. I’ll give my results in a day or two after shaving with the edges.
After honing a couple blades on oil and trying them I wasn't impressed enough to use oil every time I finish a blade so for now I'll stay with Smiths solution for finishing razors on the Moon stone.

Scott:
I'm using water w/ a few drops dish soap gives about the same viscosity as Smiths, I have a LeGrelot to shave w/this AM finished from 12K SS using 15 strokes on the new lune. It bumped the HHT from 4>5 and the edge looks good under Mag. will report after shave.

Scott:
I'm using water w/ a few drops dish soap gives about the same viscosity as Smiths, I have a LeGrelot to shave w/this AM finished from 12K SS using 15 strokes on the new lune. It bumped the HHT from 4>5 and the edge looks good under Mag. will report after shave.
Good to know. I have been thinking about diluting the Smiths and seeing how that modifies the edge Frank

timwcic

"Look what I found"
I have been getting stellar results using water and Propylene glycol on my vintage Special Stone and Purple Lune. A spray of water and three drops spread about with a finger. 25-50 blade weight laps usually gets my tree topping 90% of arm hair at 1/2 inch above arm. This is on refined edges that need a refreshing after several dozen shaves.

2725D9B8-A9FE-4BB8-813A-3C6ACB584090.jpeg

Life's been busy so I just got around to test shaving the edge on the LeGrelot, two week beard.
Edge was very keen, not tedious at all and delivered a 99% BBS two pass shave.
Alum burn only .5 in a couple of places, post shave feel very good>not quite as smooth as the vintage stone after the J-Nat edge.
The shave feel was that of a bumped up Escher similar to Voss or Franconian.
I plan on going right back to this new Lune with another 10 laps to see what that does to the edge.
So far I cannot detect any difference in the two stones while honing only more testing will determine if one is better.

Frank

Life's been busy so I just got around to test shaving the edge on the LeGrelot, two week beard.
Edge was very keen, not tedious at all and delivered a 99% BBS two pass shave.
Alum burn only .5 in a couple of places, post shave feel very good>not quite as smooth as the vintage stone after the J-Nat edge.
The shave feel was that of a bumped up Escher similar to Voss or Franconian.
I plan on going right back to this new Lune with another 10 laps to see what that does to the edge.
So far I cannot detect any difference in the two stones while honing only more testing will determine if one is better.

Frank

Interesting! Please let us know how the extra laps helped the edge. Have you tried using mineral oil? I use it on my coticules and get nice and keen edges.

Just did 12 more WOB laps on the new Lune W/ LeGrelot using the soapy water and three drops Glycerin, feedback very smooth.
Post stropping under 100X microscope shows no increase in artifacts or breakdown of the edge from stropping, nice straight well polished edge.
HHT only root in> 5's will post shave test soon.

Shave this AM: Outstanding, edge feel SMOOTH and a touch keener, alum the same but post shave feel slightly better.
Overall a modest improvement 99% BBS no weepers or irritation, will do another 10 laps and report back.
Edge now has 27 finishing laps on the new Lune.

User report, honed a iwasaki on a jnat, shave was marvelous but not perfect,, was going to go back to jnat but , tried lune instead

16x water glycerin 3-4 drops
Also did additional 5-6,,, spine leading strokes, same way you would strop,,,

Shave edge dialed to perfection comfortable and sharp

Just reporting as glad stone in my arsenal

Top Bottom