What's new

La Lune Special Stone...Anybody got one?

User report, i have a new filimonica razor that i sharpened up to 12k,, razor was shaving marvelous but tried, 6 new laps 12k then 16 laps lune,glycerin water, 16 only, shave was more out of this world marvelous,,

Im still testing stone and methods
Im using both sides of my stone, 8x2.5
I removed the sticker, both side baby smooth, thus far makes a smooth comfortable sharp edge, minimal effort. , 16x only
proxy.php

User report, i have a new filimonica razor that i sharpened up to 12k,, razor was shaving marvelous but tried, 6 new laps 12k then 16 laps lune,glycerin water, 16 only, shave was more out of this world marvelous,,

Im still testing stone and methods
Im using both sides of my stone, 8x2.5
I removed the sticker, both side baby smooth, thus far makes a smooth comfortable sharp edge, minimal effort. , 16x only
proxy.php

all seven of my razors are filarmonica 14 and I have good results after 12k with 15 to 20 strokes on my 120x60 using glycerin and water .

As I see it, the La Lune is pretty much exclusively a finisher. Others I use are a Naniwa SS 12k, Arkansas Grey, Vermont Green Slate, Arkansas Surgical Black, Zulu Grey, and La Veinette coticule. All do pretty well. Some more so than others.

End result is a keener edge. The La Lune (or I should say the way I use mine) is to finish the edge. My coticule(s) are often used to take the blade from bevel (I usually use a 1k stone for bevel setting) all the way to finish. Result is a smoother, less intense edge.

End result is a keener edge. The La Lune (or I should say the way I use mine) is to finish the edge. My coticule(s) are often used to take the blade from bevel (I usually use a 1k stone for bevel setting) all the way to finish. Result is a smoother, less intense edge.

Awesome! Thanks folks.

Just touched-up a Tanifuji razor, razor was shaving good but wanted mini refresh before shaving
16x only water/ glycerin mix
50 strop leather,,, amazing shave
My lune 8x2.5, good runway
16x seems to be a sweet spot but still testing

Just touched-up a Tanifuji razor, razor was shaving good but wanted mini refresh before shaving
16x only water/ glycerin mix
50 strop leather,,, amazing shave
My lune 8x2.5, good runway
16x seems to be a sweet spot but still testing
Thats about where I am at with mine.

After reading every post i could on this stone,,,and only owning short time, need more time to access but few things I noticed,,

Hated my first attempt using mineral oil, messy plus hated the feel

Water only, after few laps you feel stone giving up mini slurry , have not mastered water only yet

Soap,,, used a unique soap mentioned in early thread which contained few natural oils, worked very well

Glycerin fun and works well,,,

Interesting read,,, and stone
Hope ok to post

After reading every post i could on this stone,,,and only owning short time, need more time to access but few things I noticed,,

Hated my first attempt using mineral oil, messy plus hated the feel

Water only, after few laps you feel stone giving up mini slurry , have not mastered water only yet

Soap,,, used a unique soap mentioned in early thread which contained few natural oils, worked very well

Glycerin fun and works well,,,

Interesting read,,, and stone
Hope ok to post

I have been happy using Smiths honing solution which is basically glycerin and some other additives.

Using mineral oil or Smiths
Do you use just the oil or water and drops?
I don't use mineral oil but if I did I would use 3-4 drops on a smaller stone and start around 10 laps and go from there.
Using the Smiths I currently use 4-5 drops and around 15 laps or so with your razor. If it starts to dry or thicken I will give it a quick spritz from a small spray bottle. You shouldn't need to add more Smiths after the initial application but you can if you like.

Top Bottom