What's new

La Lune Special Stone...Anybody got one?

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I don’t recall seeing any of the old Lunes with those white circles. Looks like different material.

I don’t recall seeing any of the old Lunes with those white circles. Looks like different material.

Yes, that's what I was trying to say: these are "new" stones :D The circles are only on the backside of my stone with the badge on it, though. The lapped side is completely purple.

The old quarried ones can have green clouds or white spots sometimes. Idk why they even bothered with a slurry stone with those, it's the last thing that material needs. Best thing to do with the tomo is probably to use it as a touch up stone in a travel kit and forget about slurry.

I think they thought it's just a fun thing to do, but you are probably right. The qualities of the stone as a finisher are great anyway. I only used it twice, but found it pretty easy to get a very sharp and smooth edge on water with Glycerin.

I have quite a few of the la lune hones. Get very excited when I find one, specially the big ones. Use them a lot, the purple and the blue, but for different things.

The green spots are normal. Not common, but you do see stones with them. Some have pretty extensive areas completely green.

No idea there was new production. Never seen that black label. Couldn't be someone passing old unlabeled stock, at premium prices?
I've seen wild red slates very similar, green dots and everything. So someone could cut that in to pieces and stick a label. Is that the same stone from the same quarry?

A couple of the well respected SRP members teamed up(Doorsch and Fikira to name a few)to offer these up. They made that new label. Similar to the old one.

They have the typical green orbs and solid purple coloration.

RLS is a wealth of knowledge on la lune's and SSGR. So they should be legit.

Glad to know they are out been waiting for months.

They are sold through a French website where you can also find other great stones and they are absolutely legit. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the website here, but a thorough Google search for the names on the label should do the job ;)

Ok, found it, and had a very interesting read.

There is a lot of red slate with green dots on some areas of this country. I know a very high cliff fully made of something resembling la lune of the reddish variet. Sebastian had some serious leads in to this, so I'm not totally surprised they could locate a suitable quarry or source.

There are many suitable stones in this country. Is great that someone is developing a product from it.

My main finisher is another semi wild find. A men sold me a hone in a tinny village boot sale, and upon discussion he pointed that all the houses around where made of the same stuff. The edges and mirror surface finishes blow anything else in my collection.

Shame they haven't yet located the blue la lune source. Is such a fast hone at that grit level, and big rocks are very very rare.

In fact, someone selling the older stones to that prices would be absolutely fabulous :D
Is not to hard to pick online a vintage 11x6cm la lune for 50€, sometimes less if you are fast enough. For some reason they have dropped in price, when they are absolutelly fabulous hones.
Boot sales delivered even cheaper hones, but I suspect Tim to overtime arround here because I don't find any more...

Paul you are waaaaaay under estimating Tim here. He would find anywhere from 25-50 of them for that price.

He IS the gold standard for finding great stones for pennies. Lol!Hahaha!

Is not to hard to pick online a vintage 11x6cm la lune for 50€, sometimes less if you are fast enough. For some reason they have dropped in price, when they are absolutelly fabulous hones.
Boot sales delivered even cheaper hones, but I suspect Tim to overtime arround here because I don't find any more...

I haven't seen any used ones being sold over here for quite a while.

I only pay those sums for foreign stones. Local gems are rare but with patience and perseverance, you get them for cheap.

Sure, I wonder how Tim's trove looks like. I'm specially jealous as he finds stones are not seen in here, like those magnificent butterscotch...

Turns out I know the guy behind the site. I communicated with him quite a bit a few years back. We shared the same obsession for the hunt, and did some exchanges, stone for stone...

With Sebastian, He's probably one of the most avid hunters I've met on this side of the pond. He has some crazy collection, and plenty of contacts. One thing for sure, he knows his stuff...

For a while he dealed on Ebay, So glad he has a proper site now, and plenty of interesting offerings. Some good looking rocks, hard to know with out testing.

Glad I never liked la lunes. These reproductions that make a lot of effort to imitate vintage stones (mimicking the sawmarks, same dimensions, almost matching label) don't sit well with me. Muddying up identifying true la lunes, if you ask me. The welsh slate guy tried doing it with yellow lake labels and I think he got shamed into stopping. I wouldn't want to encourage it.

Same opinion, but I like a lot the la lune stones, both of them. I feel a bit sad someone rides that wave. The stones may be legit, but I cringe a bit with the black label.

Hes a true passionate, not a lambda opportunist. He has spend years of effort learning and collecting, so while not convinced a the la lune thing, I'm glad someone knowledgeable produces proper hones to revive this country heritage.

Is like someone started to produce good quality washitas from the old mine. He may try to ride one of the old labels for recognition, but still, if the hones are good and it enables people to get the stuff otherwise would be lost, why not?

Top Bottom